Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Relevance of forum Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:33:18 AM
Groups: Administration

It is sad ....the forum has a good number of positive members who post interesting pieces.
We have never been afraid of criticism, and I take it to management if I think it is warranted...but when you can go back all year, and not see one band playing this year get one thread ....then I ask, what is this forum becoming.
It seems it is often a bitch fest, with a lot of negativity directed st the people who put Bluesfest on.
They are passionate music people....who if you only knew, are not in it for the money.
Whenever they try a new iniative, it seems this forum slings mud .... having preferred viewing isn’t new. I’m told Bluesfest has done it before. I asked why main stages will begin at 3.. whilst others earlier. The answer is, that there is only a few hundred people in them for early artists, and it isn’t fun for them to play in such a large area before the crowds arrive.
Less artists this year? Check the playing lengths of many bands...they are longer, because that is what the artists are asking for.
Anyway...haters will hate
reader57
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:55:09 AM
Groups: Member

bluesfestadmin wrote:

Less artists this year? Check the playing lengths of many bands...they are longer, because that is what the artists are asking for.

Just on that subject, what is the the length of the sets this year? What turnaround do the roadies need between?
humanracin
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:56:38 AM

Longer sets is great !
bonddm20020000
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:56:41 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
It is sad ....the forum has a good number of positive members who post interesting pieces.
We have never been afraid of criticism, and I take it to management if I think it is warranted...but when you can go back all year, and not see one band playing this year get one thread ....then I ask, what is this forum becoming.

http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16735

http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16741

http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16740
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 10:04:21 AM

Thanks for that info about the stages, that is the first time I have seen anything about why there have been changes. That alone should prevent more questions & bitching (so long as everybody reads each post) about the timing on the bigger stages. Having the facts, rather than people relying on supposition & rumours generated through a lack of facts makes a world of difference.

As far as I can see, there are plenty of references to bands/artists that people are going to see scattered within the various threads; though maybe not in their own separate threads, granted.

There are still far more "interesting" discussions on here than there are negative IMHO. I am a relative newbie as far as the forums are concerned, but have to agree that the Facebook page, of which I am also a member, is much less "discussion" oriented, so therefore nowhere near as good. The 'Like' button makes sure of that. FWIW.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
zabadooba
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 11:09:25 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
I asked why main stages will begin at 3.. whilst others earlier. The answer is, that there is only a few hundred people in them for early artists, and it isn’t fun for them to play in such a large area before the crowds arrive.

Thank you for the clarification.
As has been mentioned communication is what had been lacking and would perhaps had addressed some of the aired concerns. There is still nothing on the website addressing Ke$has absence for example. Not everybody uses FB. The discussion there is rather juvenile ( which could be argued is more suited to her audience).

I can't speak for others but I frequently log onto the website for updates and news and as the announcements are revealed try to plan my weekend.

I'd counter that this forum, far from being a bitch fest, is mostly positive and peopled by long term patrons of BF. Yes there is passionate discussion and opinions and its the passion for BF that is reflected by the desire to retain all that people love about it - and with that perhaps some resistance to change as, lets face it, there are other music festivals but not like BF. As has also been mentioned there is a wealth of musical awareness held by contributors to this forum and consequently our ears are opened to people we would otherwise not hear about. I'd wager that the organisers also refer to some of the suggestions listed here when considering future lineups.

As a person who camps for the 5 days I love checking out the early artists on the stages and, without exception, that's where the gems are found. We know the headliners and what to expect. It's the lesser known artists who deliver the revelations and it is these artists cd's I generally take home with me.
Regarding people not wanting to play to a sparsely populated tent I can see that's perhaps underwhelming but isnt that what happens when youre building a name for yourselves? The Record Company last year put on amazing performances to a small crowd that grew as they played and on subsequent appearances. St. Paul in 2016 got bigger day by day and last year were elevated to a headline spot.
Whilst applauding longer sets by the bigger names I'd hate to see the less well known artists culled as a consequence. Is that wanting my cake and eating it - perhaps.

nocheesegromit
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 11:51:58 AM

Thank you admin for that information. I had noted the longer set times for some artists, and am enjoying the challenge of juggling which acts to see (Lord knows I can't see them all) taking into account the longer playing times. I can see that playing to a sparsely populated tent would not be enjoyable. However, as one of the punters it is at these times that I truly enjoy the festival (a hell of a lot more than the overcrowded times eg Tom Jones, Santana); it is usually when I discover the hidden gem (eg Melody Angel, Skipping Girl Vinegar, The Record Company). At the same time it should be noted the tents can also become empty towards the end of the night (eg Songhoy Blues when they were up against Kendrick Lamar).
The forum may only have a small number of regular contributors but I bet there are innumerable people like me that visit multiple times a day for little snippets of information, new music to listen to, and so on. I'm sure everyone here appreciates what you are doing. I for one hope that you decide to keep the forum, because there is nothing else to replace it.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 2:04:46 PM

I like the sound of a later start and longer sets. Have to drive up from my home on Easter Sunday which is at least hour and a half's drive from the venue then check into motel accommodation in Ballina which is at 2 pm. Most of my favourites will be at Crossroads or Mojo so a 3 pm start is perfect.
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 2:55:38 PM

zabadooba wrote:

As a person who camps for the 5 days I love checking out the early artists on the stages and, without exception, that's where the gems are found. We know the headliners and what to expect. It's the lesser known artists who deliver the revelations and it is these artists cd's I generally take home with me.
Regarding people not wanting to play to a sparsely populated tent I can see that's perhaps underwhelming but isnt that what happens when youre building a name for yourselves? The Record Company last year put on amazing performances to a small crowd that grew as they played and on subsequent appearances. St. Paul in 2016 got bigger day by day and last year were elevated to a headline spot.
Whilst applauding longer sets by the bigger names I'd hate to see the less well known artists culled as a consequence. Is that wanting my cake and eating it - perhaps.

Exactly the same for myself and my friends. Those gems are often discovered early in the day. I find that being a 5 day camper, you are champing at the bit to get in when the gates open. Nothing better than maximising the Bluesfest experience.

bucetti1
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 3:21:37 PM

Agreed
Lloyd Spiegel was on at midday last year and blew the roof of the tent.

When they go low-we go high.
zabadooba
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 3:33:09 PM

bucetti1 wrote:
Agreed
Lloyd Spiegel was on at midday last year and blew the roof of the tent.

Disappointed he isn't back this year given he's also an Aussie artist and in conversation after his gig he seemed to indicate a desire to come back.
Likewise local band the Round Mountain Girls. Davy Knowles and
Melody Angel were also amongst the outstanding earlier pergormers lsst year
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 3:38:53 PM

Yes he did indicate that to me also.
What's happened to Melody?
I thought she was a certainty based on Mr Noble's comments last year

When they go low-we go high.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 4:02:18 PM

Was talking to my travelling companion this afternoon.
We would prefer to have Au musicians filling up the earlier spots in the day from the traditional starting time of around midday.
While I have had comments from Melbourne residents,that "We can see these bands any day of the week",not all of us have that luxury.
I am sure that there are a huge number of Au musicians who would appreciate a spot on the program.
And there are a massive number of Au bands we would be interested in seeing.
If there are fewer acts to pick from before 3 pm,the general tendency will be for patrons to arrive later in the day.
That will not assist turnover at any of the merchandise sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWsHcgCZ1sA
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
mgwfall
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 6:11:03 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
I asked why main stages will begin at 3.. whilst others earlier. The answer is, that there is only a few hundred people in them for early artists, and it isn’t fun for them to play in such a large area before the crowds arrive.

My impression is that the crowds for the early acts have been growing steadily year by year.
Can only recall 1 act that expressed some disappointment with the crowd for their early afternoon set. The more usual response is they are "blown away", thrilled to be playing Bluesfest & very happy with the number of people who have come out to see them.
As someone who goes for the Festival (rather than a Byron holiday that includes some music), very disappointed at the reduced number acts before 3. Can management reconsider this? Surely not too late to fill the spots with (as suggested by others) local artists.
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 8:37:35 PM

Hussy Hicks come readily to mind.

zabadooba
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:22:41 AM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:
Hussy Hicks come readily to mind.

Another excellent band embarking on tour soon I think
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 8:32:08 AM

I remember ex Jet frontman Nic Cester got a poor turnout for his afternoon set last year due to a clash with a big act. I felt bad for him but he was very gracious and thankful to the audience.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 10:11:21 AM

Perhaps the later starts are designed to assist in promoting Boomerang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWsHcgCZ1sA
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
tonyivits
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:56:43 AM

So is the forum to close or not? If it does close a pity for those of us who are not on Facebook.However all things have a shelf life so thanks to those posters who shared their love of music and introduced many of us to new artists and musical experiences.
regards
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:49:39 PM

It would be sad, unfortunate and very short sighted if this forum was closed down.

Not every one is on facebook, and I have no desire to join.

A forum is a place for people to exchange view points and opinions and not all will pro event obviously.

Just as not all will be dissenting.

Plenty of people myself included have gained lots of information about a variety of things from this forum, and I hope that common sense will reign and that the forum will continue.

The festival has a very active PR machine, so factoring that in, it would have been good if some people questions particularly in regards to less acts, and differing starting times were answered more quickly and in a sensible and informative fashion.