Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Relevance of forum Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:21:51 PM
Groups: Administration

Once again we are discussing the relevance of continuing the forum.
A small group of people seem to take a delight in negative posts about the festival.
There hasn’t been a post dedicated to ANY artist performing this year.
SIMPLY, management of the fest are saying enough.
If it’s going to be about a group constantly carping.....this forum has finally reached its use by date
Thanks to the positive posters....unfortunately your voice is drowned by negativity.... far too often.

Suggest you form your own groups to interact.

Thanks for the memories

bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 3:39:55 PM
Groups: Member

Agreed
For some,there's never enough artists.
For others, the artist's aren't good enough.
Some of the wish lists are just plain unrealistic and let's be honest stupid.

The bagging of Kesha in my opinion was deplorable and I'm not surprised at the renewed call to shut the forum down.

When they go low-we go high.
reader57
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:37:32 PM

I wasn't going to ask this question but now there may be no forum to ask; why not.

Is there a correlation between the less acts, performance times, the value-adding of the front seats and other changes expressed to the reason behind the demise of the Deniliquin Blues and Roots festival that was held in conjunction to Bluesfest?
I know what happened to Deni. I would hate it to happen to Byron Bay!
waffles
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 4:53:59 PM

i cant quite see the revelance of.... how many artists? compared to last year?
I haven't seen anywhere on the site that there HAS to be a certain amount of acts.
its still great value for money....especially if you get earlybird tickets.

sorry but I just cant understand some of the constant wingeingd'oh!

ps is that spelling correct?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:40:09 PM

More often than not, it is the diehards who will be "negative" (disappointment seems to be the word that springs to my mind in most instances). These are your passionate supporters. I will guarantee that most of them, if not all, are out there telling others of the great experiences they have had at Bluesfest over the years, not the minor gripes that they believe will be seen by moderators/administrators who may have the power/authority to take some ideas back to the team.

Not everybody gets it right every time, us included. Just have to take it on the chin, and fix it up for next time. I shall try to fit some positivity in where at all possible (is requesting/making suggestions/creating wish-lists for artists for future Bluesfests positive??)

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
humanracin
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:50:25 PM

I love your festival, had a great time last year.

The front row seat decision has honestly left me a bit worried about this year, but hopefully it won't change my experience too much.
Friday and Sunday lineups are excellent.

But overall the worst thing about Bluesfest is the over moderation of this forum and the inability to take on any criticism or opinions of their paying customers.

bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:01:40 PM

I think the current moderator has been very reasonable considering some of the scathing posts.
I speak as someone who has had posts deleted and suspensions issued.

zabadooba
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:10:39 PM

So only fawning opinions are allowed.

Yes it's a great festival. That's why we keep coming back. That's why many of us buy tickets for the full duration before we know who is playing. But because we do come year after year we notice when the music is starting at 3pm instead of midday.
No there isn't a guarantee on number of artists but still having 15 hours less music and 27 fewer performances is a significant difference to last year.
And let's remember last year was fabulous even without Neil and Barry.
To be pedantic there has been discussion on particular artist but she now is no longer attending.
And I'd expect that the persistent commentators on this forum are people who attend year after year and purchase 5 day tickets in advance. The facebook page is full of people excited at one artist playing ( in recent years buffet, nas, kendrick and Ke$ha) - I'd wager they don't buy in advance, come for 5 days or come year after year. But perhaps that's the audience that the dummy throwing moderator prefers.
One of the great things about BF is that if there's an artist you dont like on one stage you have 4 others to choose from. Another is the artists that you 'discover' at the festival. Another is knowing you get the chance to see some genuine legends.
Still I reserve the right to express an opinion and to ask questions without being abusive. That's how adults behave. Taking your ball and going home is how children behave.
Go ahead - delete this or block me
pathfinder
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:33:03 PM

zabadooba wrote:
So only fawning opinions are allowed.

Yes it's a great festival. That's why we keep coming back. That's why many of us buy tickets for the full duration before we know who is playing. But because we do come year after year we notice when the music is starting at 3pm instead of midday.
No there isn't a guarantee on number of artists but still having 15 hours less music and 27 fewer performances is a significant difference to last year.
And let's remember last year was fabulous even without Neil and Barry.
To be pedantic there has been discussion on particular artist but she now is no longer attending.
And I'd expect that the persistent commentators on this forum are people who attend year after year and purchase 5 day tickets in advance. The facebook page is full of people excited at one artist playing ( in recent years buffet, nas, kendrick and Ke$ha) - I'd wager they don't buy in advance, come for 5 days or come year after year. But perhaps that's the audience that the dummy throwing moderator prefers.
One of the great things about BF is that if there's an artist you dont like on one stage you have 4 others to choose from. Another is the artists that you 'discover' at the festival. Another is knowing you get the chance to see some genuine legends.
Still I reserve the right to express an opinion and to ask questions without being abusive. That's how adults behave. Taking your ball and going home is how children behave.
Go ahead - delete this or block me

Well spoken, I couldn't agree more,Mrs Pathfinder and i always buy 5 day tickets well before the first announcement,we also buy 5 day VIP passes.We also spend multiple hundreds of dollars on merch,one of the best signs i have ever seen in a business was"If you have enjoyed yourself,please tell your friends,if you haven't,please tell us."
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:49:31 PM

Is it any wonder the board wants to shut the forum down.
Same old ungrateful sentiments every year.
People wanting everything for nothing would drain anybody's energy.

rexrose
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:12:08 PM

I don't see anything in this forum where anyone said that they want something for nothing.
I'm sure that most of the posters are paid up visitors to BF in one shape or another.
There area few posters that I tend to overlook as they do tend to harp on about their own agenda but I do enjoy reading a large number of the posts. They have introduced me to a number of artists I was not aware of. Also interesting to read other peoples take on things. I even put up with the Buffett crap that some narrow minded posted carried on with. I'm glad that their career on stage was very successful.
If the Admin can't handle the posts and maybe a bit of criticism then shut the Forum down. Don't continue to make threats about it. You guys sound like old style school teachers at times. So either stop the threats or shut it down.
I will be getting our early bird tickets again this year, but the advent of the $300 front row seats I found disturbing. I hope I am wrong, but it sounds to me like a business in trouble.
And yes some explanation of why an artist has cancelled or is not appearing would be good. Not the I would have seen Kelsha, so the cancellation does not affect me but there has been nothing I have seen on the site about the cancellation. Only in the Forum.
One thing I know is that I am looking forward to anther successful BF this year.
So maybe its goodbye from me.
Thanks for the memories.
pod2006
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:41:47 PM

A thoroughly democratic and robust discussion. ONYA
What, Ke$ha's not coming? I blinked and missed that.
Surely with all the saturation emailing a genuine news email might have respectfully informed me/us of this significant change.
The other posters have referred to those who purchase in advance. A win/win for BF cash-flow and the punters.
But we also invest in the anticipation of the newly announced acts and Ke$ha has been accepted into my playlists as a result of BF admin's confidence that she is a good fit. Hence the fact she's not coming should prompt BF admin to make a polite and courteous announcement to your true believers. Simply rude not to do that. BF dropped the ball on that one.
Vive la Forum.
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:51:28 PM

There is a Bluesfest 2018 Facebook group if anyone is interested

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117115522290328/

Also I just had a look at the official Bluesfest Byron Bay Facebook page and there are quite a few negative posts on there. Just saying ...

nelson7007
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:58:57 PM

BF Admin please note that while many of your FB fans are crying at Kesha’s decision with some demanding a refund and questioning whether or not they will even go for their chosen day, we ‘whingers’ on the forum will be there for the full five days no matter what (please Mr Plant stay healthy), thoroughly enjoying what is on offer and queuing to get a ticket for next year when they go on sale on the last day. Sure we can go on a bit, even ask the odd difficult question or two but we are your bread and butter, your diehards, your faithful supporters just asking to be communicated with like grown ups. Kesha was always going to be a divisive choice. I was cool with it but others weren’t. So what? Significant changes to the number of acts and set times should be explained. It’s basic Comms 101. We will consider the reasons given and move on to the really important task of planning our five days and avoiding clashes and doing our homework on the acts we’ve never heard of.
Smart, cool and forward-thinking businesses who want to continue to grow listen to their customers - even the annoying ones. It makes them better And more profitable. The only organisations that demand praise and react to criticism by closing down the conversation are dinosaurs. Bluesfest is better than that. But sensing you already made the call. Sad! Was fun while it lasted.
glenboss
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:38:14 PM

I've had several years of pleasure from the forum. I thought that if I wake up in the morning and find it's no longer there I would like to to think I have finished on a positive note. Thank you to Bluesfest for giving us the forum (and for your tolerance on many occasions). Thank you to all the posters who have kept me well and truly entertained over the years. And last but not least, I sincerely wish you all the best for a brilliant 5 days of fun food & music at Bluesfest.

Regards Glenboss
nocheesegromit
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2018 10:46:55 PM

Perhaps it would be pertinent to outline what is meant by a relevant forum. Whatever it is, it certainly is not what occurs on Facebook. There is virtually no discussion of acts, potential acts, and so on that will be found here. If there is concern regarding negative posts then the best way to demonstrate that concern would be to police it in both forums. Some of the Facebook posts are very negative, as are some on this forum. But at the very least can you either recognise this as the only forum that encourages insightful debate and commentary, maintains a consistent community of music and festival lovers, or stop with the threats and shut it down. The constant threats are reminiscent of a parent trying to control a recalcitrant toddler, and only serve to debase your clearly wonderful, admired, and loved organisation.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:48:10 AM
Groups: Administration

This is a forum.
It is for people to,discuss music.
As moderator...this is my second post in six months .
If you wish to read press releases ...about things, like Jesha’s cancellation.
Those posts will be on Facebook.
As moderator, I have attempted to let posters post, and not delete posts.
The amount of abusive posts has reached a peak recently.
When point out, they continue.
As a result a number of posts have been deleted this week.
There are approximately 24 regular posters on this site...it is dying a slow death through lack of input , and the ongoing negativity is a turn off
Too many think kicking Bluesfest is fun, and then continue when it is pointed out.,
As a moderator, I am over it.
There is no one else in the company willing to volunteer for such a thankless task.
Is there any point in continuing?
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:49:33 AM

Yes you can't really have a conversation with anyone on the Bluesfest Byron Bay Facebook page. It's mostly just people tagging their friends or other people complaining about something they don't like. There are no real discussions about anything.

This year will be my 10th time attending Bluesfest. I still remember my first festival in 2009 which was at Belongil field. Torrential rain and mud everywhere but was so excited to finally be there.

Memories are of hilarious Mick Conway and his band plus Toni Child's ear splitting voice .. wanting to leave but being trapped in there due to the flooding outside. :)

bucetti1
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 8:14:50 AM

Dear moderator,
As I've posted yesterday,I believe you've been remarkably restrained especially after Skot's appalling post this morning.
To answer your question- no , there is no need to continue.

reader57
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 9:12:54 AM

Dear Moderator,

I can understand your position. It is a thankless job as demonstrated by the lack of willing replacements within the company and it is a business decision whether to continue the forum with the strain on you as well as the cost involved to cater to a few regulars.

I belong to a different forum that was moderated by an excellent person who allowed fair discussion within the rules of the forum. Outside of that and he waved his big stick and that was it. He unfortunately passed and the new moderator does not have the same fairness as well as strict rulings. It is a difficult task.

I came to this forum to gather information to benefit me enjoying Bluesfest. I do not like Facebook but I can see it is the way of the future. Because of Facebook, traffic on the forum will have dropped. But I still enjoy the orderly forum format of files to look for the information I want. Perhaps even to comment. I will be disappointed to see the forum dropped and it might mean I will have to ask questions direct to the admin by email.

It is not my decision. However, I will pass on the words of my father who played drums in a wedding band every weekend for 30 odd years.
"If you enjoy four jobs a year, you have been blessed. The rest of the time, it is work."