Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest is up Options
rstroud
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 12:56:02 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks Repete for painting such a great picture of Cuba.

You had a great time indeed !!~!

Rod S
declanboylan0000
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 7:52:58 PM

So guys, I love love New Orleans (best music town on Earth) based on two trips over the last two Christmas times but am nervous around whether the crowds for Jazzfest actually reduce the experience of the awesomeness of great music on most corners New Orleans. Having experienced both how would you compare Jazzfest to Bluesfest as I try and workout if my next NOLA trip will be for Jazzfest or an easier/cheaper time of year. Thanks.
valkrie
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 8:02:38 PM

Cuba sounds very exciting. I love the superb musicianship of Latin Jazz. Gee I would just love the Latin dancing and their grooves are deep in African rhythms. The whole experience must have blown you away. Thanks for the updates, my mouth is watering with those delicious beverages you consumed.
repete
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 10:06:50 PM

declanboylan0000 wrote:
So guys, I love love New Orleans (best music town on Earth) based on two trips over the last two Christmas times but am nervous around whether the crowds for Jazzfest actually reduce the experience of the awesomeness of great music on most corners New Orleans. Having experienced both how would you compare Jazzfest to Bluesfest as I try and workout if my next NOLA trip will be for Jazzfest or an easier/cheaper time of year. Thanks.

Experience jazzfest...every music lover deserves it at least once in their lives. You will hear music you simply will never hear in Australia. Yes, the crowds can be huge (and they will be next year if some of the acts being mooted for the 50th anniversary actually do appear) however keep in mind that the festival is held on a huge site (it's a horse racing track and there are 11 stages) which disperses the crowd. I like that the festival finishes up each day at 7pm which gives options of going to the street parties outside the festival grounds or heading off to the clubs at night throughout the city...or simply going home to recover! Keep in mind that you can go to New Orleans during jazzfest, never go out to the fairgrounds, and still experience more music than you ever will in a lifetime...the whole city is in festival mode. That said, I never subscribe to views about any festival being better than another. Bluesfest is one of the planet's major music festivals and we are so damn lucky that it happens here every year at easter time. The line ups are consistently brilliant. Also,I've been going to Womadelaide the past few years and it is a fantastic music festival in the most beautiful festival setting I have ever experienced...just enjoy wherever you're at and whatever amazing music you may be experiencing.
Anyway, I hope Regards makes some comments...he has been to way more jazzfests than I plus he has spent substantial time in the city at different times of the year (and still manages to get to bluesfest each year!).

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
repete
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 10:22:13 PM

valkrie wrote:
Cuba sounds very exciting. I love the superb musicianship of Latin Jazz. Gee I would just love the Latin dancing and their grooves are deep in African rhythms. The whole experience must have blown you away. Thanks for the updates, my mouth is watering with those delicious beverages you consumed.

I am so damn tempted to do it again next year after jazzfest! Though May is probably not the best time weatherwise, although at least tourist numbers are low. I forgot to mention how life is lived on the streets in Old Havana; the little keyhole shops; peering through doorways in the narrow streets of Old Havana directly into people's lounge rooms; laughing as people call out from their lounge rooms to each other on the other side of the street; listening to the street noise from the balcony of my casa....conversations, the ringing bells of the bicycle taxis, the yelled out sales pitch of street sellers (onions, shallots, garlic....lol); dogs barking; roosters crowing and hardly any cars.
My wife took a video of a couple dancing at the Casa de la Trova in Santiago which is just amazing...so natural and fluid and full of joy. And videos of the rumba in Callejon de Hamel in Havana and the Santeria singers and musicians and the dance of the orishas in a tiny park in Old Havana. It's dirty, smelly, the food is basic but Havana is uber cool (lol...a French woman commented to me that it's more chic than Paris!).

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 2:18:48 PM

repete wrote:
declanboylan0000 wrote:

Experience jazzfest...every music lover deserves it at least once in their lives. You will hear music you simply will never hear in Australia. Yes, the crowds can be huge (and they will be next year if some of the acts being mooted for the 50th anniversary actually do appear) however keep in mind that the festival is held on a huge site (it's a horse racing track and there are 11 stages) which disperses the crowd. I like that the festival finishes up each day at 7pm which gives options of going to the street parties outside the festival grounds or heading off to the clubs at night throughout the city...or simply going home to recover! Keep in mind that you can go to New Orleans during jazzfest, never go out to the fairgrounds, and still experience more music than you ever will in a lifetime...the whole city is in festival mode. That said, I never subscribe to views about any festival being better than another. Bluesfest is one of the planet's major music festivals and we are so damn lucky that it happens here every year at easter time. The line ups are consistently brilliant. Also,I've been going to Womadelaide the past few years and it is a fantastic music festival in the most beautiful festival setting I have ever experienced...just enjoy wherever you're at and whatever amazing music you may be experiencing.
Anyway, I hope Regards makes some comments...he has been to way more jazzfests than I plus he has spent substantial time in the city at different times of the year (and still manages to get to bluesfest each year!).

As Repete said it is impossible to compare JazzFest to BluesFest as they are completely different.

BluesFest has the beautiful location, and the local area still has that mellow vibe, even though sadly now Byron itself is now getting gradually destroyed.

JazzFest is in a historic 300 year old music loving town, a large portion of which really embraces music, because it is in their blood.

People say have a happy Fest, when they see you walking to the bus or whatever in the morning on a Fest day

My girlfriend came out from Nola for BluesFest and loved it this year, and experience which was greatly helped by the perfect weather.

And being able to hit the beach in the morning.

She liked the set up, the people and the vibe, but disliked the sniffer dogs of course, and was bemused by disorganised bus lines at the end of the night. Which sadly reminded her of being home

Nola is in music/party mode from the Wednesday prior to Fest until the Tuesday after when the locals ease back a little, well maybe not my friends. As some of them just keep on rolling.

The comments regarding JazzFest are right, it can be very crowded at times but you can escape elsewhere, but the lines for food and dunnies can be a bit much on both Saturdays, which are always the most crowded. The town is buzzing for the whole time, and you meet music lovers from all around the world, either at Fest or on the bus or streetcar there and back.
The street parties are fun, and the night gigs can be great but sometimes be crowded.
Fest enhances the experience I would say, But Hotel prices go up accordingly, as you noted.

I have loved my many visits in September/October, when the weather is generally fine and there are lots of things going on, both in Nola and surrounds, and it does not get too crowded except briefly at Blues and BBQ when the main act is on

I enjoyed French Quarter Fest a couple of years back, but that now gets very crowded, as it is still free, and Fest is getting more exy than it used to be, for a lot of locals and out of staters.
So lots of locals and others hit that now instead.

You could not go wrong with Bayou Boogalou which featured great mainly local bands again this year, it did get a bit hot, but we were lucky as a mate lives close and he would go over early and get us a shady spot at at the main 2 stages

If you want real good value and don't mind heat then you could visit in their summer, for the likes of Satchmo Summer Fest or the mighty Cajun/Zydeco Festival in late June which is in Armstrong Park. You will get good deals for accom then and not the big crowds.

Overall you can not go wrong at any time. But April, May, June and September/ October you will few more festivals happening, but you will get excellent good value live music at any time of the year
regards
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 2:28:30 PM

repete wrote:
valkrie wrote:

I am so damn tempted to do it again next year after jazzfest! Though May is probably not the best time weatherwise, although at least tourist numbers are low. I forgot to mention how life is lived on the streets in Old Havana; the little keyhole shops; peering through doorways in the narrow streets of Old Havana directly into people's lounge rooms; laughing as people call out from their lounge rooms to each other on the other side of the street; listening to the street noise from the balcony of my casa....conversations, the ringing bells of the bicycle taxis, the yelled out sales pitch of street sellers (onions, shallots, garlic....lol); dogs barking; roosters crowing and hardly any cars.
My wife took a video of a couple dancing at the Casa de la Trova in Santiago which is just amazing...so natural and fluid and full of joy. And videos of the rumba in Callejon de Hamel in Havana and the Santeria singers and musicians and the dance of the orishas in a tiny park in Old Havana. It's dirty, smelly, the food is basic but Havana is uber cool (lol...a French woman commented to me that it's more chic than Paris!).

Sounds like you guys had a great time my friend.

Despite the post JazzFest crud, which is what the Nola gang were calling my post fest battling.

It will be great if you guys get back next year, for the 50th.

Which I certainly plan to do.

We will have to catch up for some good music in the not too distant future.

Maybe a Sunday show at way out west, if I am not w#rking, and we can talk nola stuff with Rob.

declanboylan0000
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2018 7:19:57 PM

regards wrote:
repete wrote:
declanboylan0000 wrote:

As Repete said it is impossible to compare JazzFest to BluesFest as they are completely different.

BluesFest has the beautiful location, and the local area still has that mellow vibe, even though sadly now Byron itself is now getting gradually destroyed.

JazzFest is in a historic 300 year old music loving town, a large portion of which really embraces music, because it is in their blood.

People say have a happy Fest, when they see you walking to the bus or whatever in the morning on a Fest day

My girlfriend came out from Nola for BluesFest and loved it this year, and experience which was greatly helped by the perfect weather.

She liked the set up, the people and the vibe, but disliked the sniffer dogs of course, and was bemused by disorganised bus lines at the end of the night. Which sadly reminded her of being home

Nola is in music/party mode from the Wednesday prior to Fest until the Tuesday after when the locals ease back a little, well maybe not my friends. As some of them just keep on rolling.

The comments regarding JazzFest are right, it can be very crowded at times but you can escape elsewhere, but the lines for food and dunnies can be a bit much on both Saturdays, which are always the most crowded. The town is buzzing for the whole time, and you meet music lovers from all around the world, either at Fest or on the bus or streetcar there and back.
The street parties are fun, and the night gigs can be great but sometimes be crowded.
Fest enhances the experience I would say, But Hotel prices go up accordingly, as you noted.

I have loved my many visits in September/October, when the weather is generally fine and there are lots of things going on, both in Nola and surrounds, and it does not get too crowded except briefly at Blues and BBQ when the main act is on

I enjoyed French Quarter Fest a couple of years back, but that now gets very crowded, as it is still free, and Fest is getting more exy than it used to be, for a lot of locals and out of staters.

You could not go wrong with Bayou Boogalou which featured great mainly local bands again this year, it did get a bit hot, but we were lucky as a mate lives close and he would go over early and get us a shady spot at at the main 2 stages

If you want real good value and don't mind heat then you could visit in their summer, for the likes of Satchmo Summer Fest or the mighty Cajun/Zydeco Festival in late June which is in Armstrong Park. You will get good deals for accom then and not the big crowds.

Overall you can not go wrong at any time. But April, May, June and September/ October you will few more festivals happening, but you will get excellent good value live music at any time of the year

Thanks guys... Will be getting to NOLA and Nashville n Dec 19 for sure and targeting Jazzfest 2020 (eldest has HSC next year! so will miss the 50th, but got accom to cover Thurs /Fri at Bluesfest booked in already). Cheers..
repete
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 12:12:48 PM

declanboylan0000 wrote:
regards wrote:
repete wrote:
declanboylan0000 wrote:

Thanks guys... Will be getting to NOLA and Nashville n Dec 19 for sure and targeting Jazzfest 2020 (eldest has HSC next year! so will miss the 50th, but got accom to cover Thurs /Fri at Bluesfest booked in already). Cheers..

Sounds like a pretty good plan...I don't think you could possible go wrong with bluesfest next year! Also, if you're heading over NOLA way in the future, give some thought to spending some days in south west Louisiana and immersing yourself in the cajun and creole culture...the music is amazing and it's everywhere and the people are great!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 4:25:16 PM

Without being rude,what sort of budget would you need to do the festival in New Orleans?
Nothing flash needed accomodation wise.

When they go low-we go high.
declanboylan0000
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 5:49:26 PM

Repete, thanks, any particular spots in South West Louisiana? Will be doing a new road trip end of next year incl Austin , Nashville and New Orelans, so have a fair bit of flexibility.

On Jazzfest costs, ticket prices are not the big play $70-$80 US, but accom will be $200++ per night anywhere central and food and drink inside will be similar to Bluesfest. the big cost is flight, there are no direct flights from Oz to Nola so depending on your route, maybe 2-3 stops. To Houston or LA or San Fran and then onto new Orleans are the only two stoppers I think. Then evening shows $10-$100, more food and drink (similar to here, although mass produce buds and lights are cheap) , then posters, CD's etc, etc.

I think that if you go that far (cost and jetlag) then staying a while or getting a bit of a roadtrip in works. Heading directly north you can hit the Blues trail, incl BB King museum, Clarksdale, the Crossroads, Memphis (Sun City, Stax, Graceland, Beale St, but very tourist orientated, loved Wild Bills in the burbs, the real deal only white guy or tourist there), and then onto Nashville (I'm not as big into country as Blues but it was fantastic, very vibrant or maybe I didn't recognise as many of the tunes and therefore enjoyed them more as new) Jack Blacks studios and great Johnny Cash museum there too.
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 6:05:01 PM

Great
Thank you for the informative posts.

regards
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 11:43:03 PM

bucetti1 wrote:
Without being rude,what sort of budget would you need to do the festival in New Orleans?
Nothing flash needed accomodation wise.

I am tired now and have a bit of a stuff on over the next couple of days.

But I will be back with some info in a couple of days.

bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 5:35:38 AM

Thank you

repete
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 8:58:12 AM

declanboylan0000 wrote:
Repete, thanks, any particular spots in South West Louisiana? Will be doing a new road trip end of next year incl Austin , Nashville and New Orelans, so have a fair bit of flexibility.

On Jazzfest costs, ticket prices are not the big play $70-$80 US, but accom will be $200++ per night anywhere central and food and drink inside will be similar to Bluesfest. the big cost is flight, there are no direct flights from Oz to Nola so depending on your route, maybe 2-3 stops. To Houston or LA or San Fran and then onto new Orleans are the only two stoppers I think. Then evening shows $10-$100, more food and drink (similar to here, although mass produce buds and lights are cheap) , then posters, CD's etc, etc.

I think that if you go that far (cost and jetlag) then staying a while or getting a bit of a roadtrip in works. Heading directly north you can hit the Blues trail, incl BB King museum, Clarksdale, the Crossroads, Memphis (Sun City, Stax, Graceland, Beale St, but very tourist orientated, loved Wild Bills in the burbs, the real deal only white guy or tourist there), and then onto Nashville (I'm not as big into country as Blues but it was fantastic, very vibrant or maybe I didn't recognise as many of the tunes and therefore enjoyed them more as new) Jack Blacks studios and great Johnny Cash museum there too.

Bucetti - I think Declan has given a pretty good indication of costs. Accommodation is the main one. You want to be fairly close in to the action (though not too close) and around $AUS200 per night for a nice guesthouse is close to the mark. Please don't use Air B&B....Air B&B's threatened to completely f*ck some neighbourhoods and make them quite unsafe for locals (and visitors). Fortunately, something has been done about it to impose restrictions, but the best thing all of us can do is to reject Air B&B and put the landlord b*stards out of business. Unless you want to go to a top line night gig/concert which will cost you (there are major acts who aren't playing at the Fairgrounds but do night concerts e.g. Govt Mule, Los Lobos and Ryan Addams did some concerts this year), most cover charges are around $US10-15. It's worth considering events like Piano Night and Instruments A Comin' which cost a bit more, but are also fundraisers which helps keep the music alive in NOLA. Really, keep it local and support the local musicians. I paid $US10 to see Erica Falls at the Hi Ho Lounge - the best act by a mile at this year's festival for me and in a small cool local club...what could possibly be better???

Declan...you are planning a trip which for me is a fantasy, particularly the Austin to New Orleans leg swinging through south east Texas and south west Louisiana. In terms of the latter, it's worth spending a week. We based ourselves in Breaux Bridge (not far from Lafayette) in a cool guesthouse called Chez Amis which is right on Bayou Teche. They also run a cool cafe in town which has plenty of live music and a zydeco breakfast on Saturday mornings (I met Sonny Landreth and Dave Greely formerly of Steve Riley's Mamou Playboys here). Not far from Breaux Bridge is Henderson and the lake which has really nice little floating cabins on the water - plus Sunday afternoons at Whiskey River Landing for hot zydeco (Geno Delafose is a regular), Abita beers and a pork chop sandwich - it doesn't get any better. You're in the Atchafalaya Basin here and it's pretty unique (lots of gators...lol). Beaux Bridge is also well placed to cruise around the area and check out more music. mark Savoy runs a Saturday morning workshop in Eunice; Breaux Bridge itself has La Poussiere, a great cajun dance hall and you're within easy driving distance of the legendary zydeco juke joint, Richard's (now renamed the Zydeco Hall of Fame) out on the Opelousas-Lawtell road. I love south west Louisiana - the people are fabulous and the danger is if you stay too long you'll never leave. Read a few novels by James Lee Burke to get a feel of the area and the layers of history here.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2018 10:41:33 AM

Thanks to both.
Very much appreciated

declanboylan0000
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2018 12:23:13 PM

repete wrote:
declanboylan0000 wrote:

Bucetti - I think Declan has given a pretty good indication of costs. Accommodation is the main one. You want to be fairly close in to the action (though not too close) and around $AUS200 per night for a nice guesthouse is close to the mark. Please don't use Air B&B....Air B&B's threatened to completely f*ck some neighbourhoods and make them quite unsafe for locals (and visitors). Fortunately, something has been done about it to impose restrictions, but the best thing all of us can do is to reject Air B&B and put the landlord b*stards out of business. Unless you want to go to a top line night gig/concert which will cost you (there are major acts who aren't playing at the Fairgrounds but do night concerts e.g. Govt Mule, Los Lobos and Ryan Addams did some concerts this year), most cover charges are around $US10-15. It's worth considering events like Piano Night and Instruments A Comin' which cost a bit more, but are also fundraisers which helps keep the music alive in NOLA. Really, keep it local and support the local musicians. I paid $US10 to see Erica Falls at the Hi Ho Lounge - the best act by a mile at this year's festival for me and in a small cool local club...what could possibly be better???

Declan...you are planning a trip which for me is a fantasy, particularly the Austin to New Orleans leg swinging through south east Texas and south west Louisiana. In terms of the latter, it's worth spending a week. We based ourselves in Breaux Bridge (not far from Lafayette) in a cool guesthouse called Chez Amis which is right on Bayou Teche. They also run a cool cafe in town which has plenty of live music and a zydeco breakfast on Saturday mornings (I met Sonny Landreth and Dave Greely formerly of Steve Riley's Mamou Playboys here). Not far from Breaux Bridge is Henderson and the lake which has really nice little floating cabins on the water - plus Sunday afternoons at Whiskey River Landing for hot zydeco (Geno Delafose is a regular), Abita beers and a pork chop sandwich - it doesn't get any better. You're in the Atchafalaya Basin here and it's pretty unique (lots of gators...lol). Beaux Bridge is also well placed to cruise around the area and check out more music. mark Savoy runs a Saturday morning workshop in Eunice; Breaux Bridge itself has La Poussiere, a great cajun dance hall and you're within easy driving distance of the legendary zydeco juke joint, Richard's (now renamed the Zydeco Hall of Fame) out on the Opelousas-Lawtell road. I love south west Louisiana - the people are fabulous and the danger is if you stay too long you'll never leave. Read a few novels by James Lee Burke to get a feel of the area and the layers of history here.

Brilliant, Repete. I think you are lock and loading the plan for me. Do a week shared between Austin and SW Louisiana, a week in NOLA, fly to Nashville for 3/4 nights then drive for Carolina's and then down to Orlando for kids themes parks and out.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 1:30:57 PM

If you are planning to go to JazzFest next year.

Check out Priceline Express in the USA.
In the last week some friends of mine have got some very good hotels for the 10 fest nights, for less than $100 USD a night inc tax.

So I would look at this quickly as it will not last

Also If anyone is planning a trip to Nola or anywhere else, it is now very handy to book flights through with Qantas if you can get a deal.

For instance I am flying with Qantas from Melbourne to Sydney then on to DFW and on to Nola.
And the same return. This is all the one ticket as the price was not bad, but I missed the real good deals due to being tied up with other stuff during Feb and March

The other good reason for doing this is that Qantas will check my bags all the way through to Sydney when I leave Nola and I don't have to stuff around at DFW and just pass from the secure area and jump on the mono rail to the lounge.
It if is not the one ticket for instance if you are flying Delta and then jumping on Qantas they no longer will check you bags all the way through for you. And you have to go and get them then re check and do security again The bastards even do the same if you are on AA which is their code share partner. Same applies if you are flying to LA.
It is something worth considering for convenience, if you know that you will be heading to LAX or DFW from the same airport you went to on the way in, and will also save you money on that first internal flight.

Now I better get back to work, but I strongly advise checking those hotel deals.

Regards
repete
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:54:03 PM

regards wrote:

In the last week some friends of mine have got some very good hotels for the 10 fest nights, for less than $100 USD a night inc tax.

Also If anyone is planning a trip to Nola or anywhere else, it is now very handy to book flights through with Qantas if you can get a deal.

For instance I am flying with Qantas from Melbourne to Sydney then on to DFW and on to Nola.
And the same return. This is all the one ticket as the price was not bad, but I missed the real good deals due to being tied up with other stuff during Feb and March

The other good reason for doing this is that Qantas will check my bags all the way through to Sydney when I leave Nola and I don't have to stuff around at DFW and just pass from the secure area and jump on the mono rail to the lounge.
It if is not the one ticket for instance if you are flying Delta and then jumping on Qantas they no longer will check you bags all the way through for you. And you have to go and get them then re check and do security again The bastards even do the same if you are on AA which is their code share partner. Same applies if you are flying to LA.
It is something worth considering for convenience, if you know that you will be heading to LAX or DFW from the same airport you went to on the way in, and will also save you money on that first internal flight.

Now I better get back to work, but I strongly advise checking those hotel deals.

Regards

I saw some of those prices on the "other" bored and can only agree...if you're thinking of jazzfest next year, hop on to priceline express and have a look. Those prices are fantastic!

Isn't DFW a mind-boggling pain in the neck?? It's the size of a small city! I'd much rather go via LAX...and btw those new Qantas double-decker Airbus (?) thingies take cattle class to a whole new level (i.e. utterly disgraceful) so I'm going to be looking at Air New Zealand in the future.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 11:11:30 AM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:

Regards

I saw some of those prices on the "other" bored and can only agree...if you're thinking of jazzfest next year, hop on to priceline express and have a look. Those prices are fantastic!

Isn't DFW a mind-boggling pain in the neck?? It's the size of a small city! I'd much rather go via LAX...and btw those new Qantas double-decker Airbus (?) thingies take cattle class to a whole new level (i.e. utterly disgraceful) so I'm going to be looking at Air New Zealand in the future.

Hi Mate

Those prices are still happening but you need to be smart enough to make Priceline express think that you are emailing from with in the states, which is hard
for a computer dope like me. If I needed to book I would get someone in the states, to do it for me. Which I never had to do before as I got deals with Priceline many moons ago.

RE the A380 I don't hate as much as you, there are certain good seats you can get, it you play the game. And my last couple of trips they have let me use my Melb to Sydney flight the day before. So I stay with a mate and or get a cheap hotel then cruise out to Sydney Airport on the train the next morning. It also means that I can get public transport to Tulla and save a stack on a cab
I actually prefer DFW to LAX just because of the ease of getting through customs. and the fact the next flight is only 75 minutes to Nola.

Once you get used it, you will find it is not so bad, and I have found it much easier to leave from as well, especially getting through the security check