Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Recommendations for rental car from Queensland to Byron Bay for Bluesfest 2018 Options
kai
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:22:06 PM

Groups: Member

Hey folks,
Coming from New Zealand and wanting to hire a rental car to get me from Queensland to Bluesfest, and around for the duration of Bluesfest. What are your recommendations, please?

Musical Sauce: Blues/Soul/Swing & Ska/Reggae/Rocksteady/Dub
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 10:35:40 PM

Don't use the rental company that swopped the Petrol Miser I had booked to drive to Narooma one year,for the gas guzzling 3 litre antique Hyundai that I had a problem with because Narooma does not have a 24 hour fuel outlet.
You can tell you have a dodgy rental company when they try to swop your miser and fit you into a Falcon.
Which is going to give you a better chance of a crash on narrow city roads.
I think that was the year Young Bill gave Maccain a lift down.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
zyfert
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 4:25:15 PM

kai wrote:
Hey folks,
Coming from New Zealand and wanting to hire a rental car to get me from Queensland to Bluesfest, and around for the duration of Bluesfest. What are your recommendations, please?

Queensland is a mighty big place - presume you are flying into the Gold Coast (OOL).
Just Google search car rentals Gold Coast airport.
There are all the usual suspects inside the airport terminal.
Across Gold Coast highway from the airport is Apex rentals, they are probably the cheapest but you may find something else.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:55:11 PM

Last time I rented from Apex they gave me a Nissan Tiida which was a horrible little car,and to make matters worse it did not have a CD Player.
And Red Spot would not give me a rental because I did not have a mobile phone,and I recall it was they who gave me the gas guzzler which aomost ran out of fuel..So avoid them.
I have used Avis the last few times,who have been very good so have booked with them again.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
valkrie
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:33:44 AM

Hi Kai. Every year we use Apex Rental from Brisbane. They pick us up in a van from the airport and drive 10 mins to the depot. We always book a 4WD Mitsubishi Outlander as there is 3 of us and 6 pieces of luggage, as we camp in the tent motel. The car is clean, reliable, light on petrol and I get the no excess claim just in case. I have always found them professional and helpful with no complaints. They drop you off at the airport for your flight home. Hope this helps.
kai
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:26:27 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Don't use the rental company that swopped the Petrol Miser I had booked to drive to Narooma one year,for the gas guzzling 3 litre antique Hyundai that I had a problem with because Narooma does not have a 24 hour fuel outlet.
You can tell you have a dodgy rental company when they try to swop your miser and fit you into a Falcon.
Which is going to give you a better chance of a crash on narrow city roads.
I think that was the year Young Bill gave Maccain a lift down.

Bummer! Thats no good.

kai
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:28:32 PM

zyfert wrote:
kai wrote:
Hey folks,

Queensland is a mighty big place - presume you are flying into the Gold Coast (OOL).
Just Google search car rentals Gold Coast airport.
There are all the usual suspects inside the airport terminal.
Across Gold Coast highway from the airport is Apex rentals, they are probably the cheapest but you may find something else.

Yes flying in to GC. I did start looking at rentals at the airport. Good tip, thanks.
And I still dig viewing your youtube videos, Zyfert!

kai
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:33:00 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Last time I rented from Apex they gave me a Nissan Tiida which was a horrible little car,and to make matters worse it did not have a CD Player.
And Red Spot would not give me a rental because I did not have a mobile phone,and I recall it was they who gave me the gas guzzler which aomost ran out of fuel..So avoid them.
I have used Avis the last few times,who have been very good so have booked with them again.

You haven't had too much luck with the rentals LR. No CD player is a No Go! Gotta have a CD player or Aux, oh and a mobile phone!! Glad Avis came to the par-tay!

kai
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:34:10 PM

valkrie wrote:
Hi Kai. Every year we use Apex Rental from Brisbane. They pick us up in a van from the airport and drive 10 mins to the depot. We always book a 4WD Mitsubishi Outlander as there is 3 of us and 6 pieces of luggage, as we camp in the tent motel. The car is clean, reliable, light on petrol and I get the no excess claim just in case. I have always found them professional and helpful with no complaints. They drop you off at the airport for your flight home. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your info, I wouldn't need a big vehicle, but that service sounds a winner! Applause Applause Applause

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:59:41 PM

kai wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

You haven't had too much luck with the rentals LR. No CD player is a No Go! Gotta have a CD player or Aux, oh and a mobile phone!! Glad Avis came to the par-tay!

If you are going to Apex you need to make sure you have extra time up your sleeve.
At Auckland airport,they take you in and out to their depot in a vehicle,whereas if you use one of the rental companies which are based inside the airport,you can drop your car off and you are independent.
So if you travelling on Jetstar,which has very strict cut-offs on check in times,you need to be careful that you don't get held up for any reason.