Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

BF 2018 v Sydney Festival 2018 Options
gertyson0000
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:22:10 PM
Groups: Member

Over the years the Sydney festival brought some cutting edge acts to our shores. Many for free live performances.

Lou Reed
Sharon Jones
Björk
Rev Al
Mike Patton
David Byrne
St Vincent
Grace Jones
Flaming Lips
Brian Wilson
Rosanne Cash
Tex does Johnny Cash
Emmylou Harris

That’s just from memory - fast forward to Sydney 2018 the music and art scene has hit rock bottom. Basically the Sydney Festival is 10 nights of drag acts lip synching to disco dross? It’s no longer a festival for everyone. It used to be an opportunity for the public to experience artists (for free in the domain) that expanded musical tastes and added some quality to their lives. there’s no balance! nothing for the average music fan- It looks like the festival is aimed solely to the frequenters of the world famous Simon cabaret in Phuket. A few nights of trans/drag acts is great if you’re into that kind of thing but why replace Sydney festival with this “art” or excuse for music every single night.
Those that need a music fix in Sydney will be saving the pennies for Byron after this complete and utter debacle. It’s a real shame and a real loss to the now very dead music scene in Sydney. More pokies less music seems to be the go...
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:59:05 PM

I agree with this entirely.
I will never forget Lou Reed's majestic performance at the State theatre(Sharon Jones was back up singing).David Byrne and St Vincent was also brilliant. Paul Weller at the Opera House is good but nowhere near enough.

When they go low-we go high.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:31:50 PM

You forgot
Terrance Simien - Dirty Dozen- Preservation Hall one barmy Sydney night
another year
Daptone -Sharon Jones & the Dapp Kings- Charles Bradley and more
Sure Elvis Costello and Brian Wilson had paid shows in different years as well

The last Opening night very different rules applied
The Symphony they vigorously encouraged you to bring everything you wanted
The Opera they allowed same
The last Opening Night they said all outside food and drink was BANNED !
I emailed the organisation to confirm those details and ask WHY
The confirmed the the rules were correct but not WHY

http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6517

I get a paper program each year, but this year I could not find anything that stood out as worth the effort
Very disappointing

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:44:24 PM

Adding another agreement to this. Not going to any Syd Fest event this year.

Will pass on this from Bernard Zuel on twitter

"Thinking of starting a support group for theatre/arts lovers who are bored to death with burlesque, "adult" cabaret & circus acts as the go-to selections for festivals.
It's not edgy, amusing or fresh. Done. To. Death."
humanracin
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:52:28 PM

Yeah I thought this year was very dull except for Julie Byrne from the US, I am seeing her in Melbourne though.

Compare that to last year which boasted both Nick Cave and PJ Harvey as well as Weyes Blood (US) and Ane Brun it looks pretty sad.
Luckily all four of those acts played shows in Brisbane so I haven't been to an actual Sydney Festival in a few years...

mccin0000
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:02:24 AM

Its very clear that this is the lamest Sydney Festival since its inception. It would not be a stretch to say that this is one of the worst festivals on earth.

Little to no effort has been made. There is no buzz around Sydney in regards to this festival. Whoever is in charge has either has their entire budget removed or is deliberately trying to kill the festival.

It’s a festival of camp trash.

Mardi Gras isn’t until March or April these “amazing shows” are normally associated with the Mardi Gras festival. By the time Mardi Gras comes around everyone will be drag showed out. Lads in 12 inch heels and dresses dancing to disco songs is available 365/24/7 on oxford street. Sydney has a massive influx of punters at Mardi Gras time and the type of trash that is on offer is more suited to those boys and girls who just want to have a good time without thinking too hard while enjoying the Mardi Gras Party (more power to them).

The tripe that is on offer is not fit for purpose at what used to be a prestigious festival in one of the world’s most famous city’s.

A little bit of research shows that in 2013 the festival attracted nearly 500,000 million people to Sydney. It would be interesting to see if this year’s festival attracted 500. Its rumored that next year we can expect Sydney festival to include a few preteen drag pageants that seem to be all the rage in the US.

It’s a real shame and its no wonder that acts like the Foo Fighters can jet in and sell out ANZ stadium or Powderfinger can pull off continual Johnny Farnham like farewell shows.

It’s no mystery that we have blokes like Kiran J Callinan being touted as the future of Australian “music” (who could forget the mass walkout during TV on the Radio when he supported them back at the Syd Fest a few years back). Tripple J has been reduced to a bunch of teens playing recordings made by students on their apple macs.

Its bleak when we consider the fact that the powers that be in the art world employ festival directors that put on that type of nonsense –The only way forward is to sack everyone involved. How they expect to get any corporate sponsors or even avoid backlash from taxpayers is a miracle.

All is not lost in Sydney however– the Blue Mountains festival has its most diverse line up ever and truly sticks to what it says on the tin. Real roots from the furthest regions of the globe from cities in countries that nurture and protect the arts as opposed to taking a dump on the arts like this “Sydney” festival. On top of the bill’s each night are outstanding local artists. Hoping that Peter cherry picks more than a handful of these acts for the smaller tents as there is some real gold in there.
humanracin
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:39:22 PM

Coincidently I've never noticed so many Sydney Festival shows to be discounted as this year.
I have received countless emails with discounts up to 50-60% off tickets so it can't be doing too well.
I hope they sack the curator and get back to real music next year...
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 6:52:27 PM

mccin0000 wrote:

All is not lost in Sydney however– the Blue Mountains festival has its most diverse line up ever and truly sticks to what it says on the tin. Real roots from the furthest regions of the globe from cities in countries that nurture and protect the arts as opposed to taking a dump on the arts like this “Sydney” festival. On top of the bill’s each night are outstanding local artists. Hoping that Peter cherry picks more than a handful of these acts for the smaller tents as there is some real gold in there.

This year will be my 3rd Blue Mountians Festival. Very relaxed festival, seats in all the tents & some very nice music.

This year's line up

http://www.bmff.org.au/appearing

There's also the Illawarra Folk Festival at Bulli, south of Sydney next weekend. Haven't had the chance to attend (work/weather!!) but have heard good things about it.

http://www.illawarrafolkfestival.com.au/

Hoping maybe to go at least 1 day this year (would especially like to see Edgelarks (aka Phillip Henry & Hannah Martin) who I first saw at the Blue Mountains Festival.
mccin0000
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:05:32 AM

These festivals as essential for introducing established artists in their own genres that get absolutely no radio play anywhere.

The first time I saw Rhiannon Giddens was up in the mountains festival. They have a knack of knowing when to bring artists over meaning artists that grow organically and put out half a dozen albums and have their own style.

Lots of noise is made about acts that have a smash hit first albums then fizzle out .. everything sounds the same after that, normally they get a bit of cash and believe their press agents hype. This is very evident in the English music scene not many of these acts have any staying power (oasis/jake bugg/passenger). The vast majority of English music is geared for the charts and is all about how many units a band can push. It lacks credibility and you rarely if ever see English acts appear in these type of festivals.

Much like Bluesfest the most fun is looking at the line up and the artist you haven’t heard and then spotifying them. Months of fun that take you up to the festival. John Spillane would be a no brainer addition for those that enjoyed Luka Bloom and Damien Dempsey or waterboys (without their big sound). He’s got a serious catalogue

So John Spillane. He’s not preaching to anyone he’s just singing songs in a weird accent and in a few different languages. He once played Australia being the only white artist an indigenous festival – these are the kind of blokes we need to see on board – stimulation.

He played boomerang before boomerang was around. http://www.standard.net.au/story/728251/tarerer-flies-the-flag-for-culture-and-fun/