Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Is Blues Fest Pregnant friendly ? Options
lovebirdyart0000
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 10:27:52 AM
Groups: Member

Hello everyone.

I have since Forever wanted to go to Blues Fest.(for a bout 10 years) I have moved to Queensland and have now have the opportunity to go.
Only thing is il be 5 and 1/2 months pregnant by the time the festival comes round.

I wanted to know from you fine folk...and obviously seasoned Blue festers ...Is it a festival that is pregnant friendly ?

Are the stage areas always crowded with people standing ? or is there spaces for people to sit ?

I was thinking of bringing a chair to sit on , but didn't know wether this would limit my access to the stages.

I'm only thinking of coming for one day.

Would love your feedback.

Much appreciated.

Bee
greybeard
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 12:30:33 PM

After 1pm the stages are getting pretty well full
There are chair rules - it's the apartheid of our times
Here is the general overview from the website

Can I bring a chair?

YES you can bring your own portable chairs.

We WILL be providing FIXED SEATING in the Mojo and Crossroads areas. If you wish to use your own portable seating to view these stages you will have to have it outside the tents.

Portable seating will not be allowed in the two tents.

Please do not leave your chair unattended, as it is an OHS issue.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 7:25:08 PM

gee bee, I think you would be fine depending on what you want to see. there are 5 tents happening at one time,so you should be able to find space at some tents. the highlight acts can get busy but there is always space at the lesser known acts......which can be great to discover music unknown to you. take the chance my dear bluesfest is a journey of discovery and you have a lot of new roads ahead.
ps there are usually a lot of people with young people with them,so you can learn how you will travel with your young to future bluesfests. good luck.

pps bring a light chair...you can then sit when and where you want.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 5:01:37 AM

Waffles, I picked up on the question **Are the stage areas always crowded with people standing ? **
I think the honest answer is mostly they are
You wrote **pps bring a light chair...you can then sit when and where you want.** well I only wish.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 5:19:48 AM

For more feed back on Chairs in the tent see http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4839
There have been mammoth debates but most seem to get deleted due to the heat generated Eh?
In the title Lovelylady asked about **Is Blues Fest Pregnant friendly ?**
Well for the greater part YES
But after dark less so as a portion of the patrons get into the juice, need to get to another tent immediately,
maybe move around a little too much in the crowded areas
just like anywhere else
And should it rain, any cover will be crowded

freexone
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:18:33 PM

It used to be fantastic when selfless people had the nous to set up a chair early (11am) and were prepared to stay in one tent for most of the day waiting for their favorite headline act; but sadly. that did'nt last.
Some people took advantage, with some even placing a chair in each of the main tents, and others arriving late within an hour or closer, and despite having clearly marked lines for guidance, some selfish people were deliberately setting up in front of those doing the right thing, which was untenable, and eventualy led to the situation we have now. For some mature and thoughtful people (mostly over 50) who previously had demonstrated that they understood and respected the unwritten rules, I believe the new chair rules damaged the laid back feel that many of us found to be one of the main attractions of Bluesfest.
And all because some chose to be selfish, lacking the foresight that was such a part of this unique and wonderful 5 day event.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 12:08:48 AM

And then there were and still are the chair people who guard the rail at the front of tents,by placing a chair at the rail so foot people are unable to access it.
Of course the chairs face the audience in order that they can detect any intruder who dares approach the spot they mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x5qw8i_LK0
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
lovebirdyart0000
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 10:27:45 AM

Thankyou everyone for your feedback :)

yes the chair thing seems to be a thing at a lot of festivals...womadelaide seems to be ok ...but it used to be better in the early days .

I really want to see Franti and Tash sultana & José González ..probably would attract mostly the young crowd that will get overwhelming.

I just come back from one day at Woodford which seems to be a little more family friendly...it was a pleasant day...and lots of seating.

Still have to make up my mind.....gah!

they say theres never a perfect time to have a baby...but obviously its better after festival season. lol

waffles
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 10:49:22 AM

i must add that the mojo and crossroads tents have big screens for viewing from outside the tents. I think the acts you want to see would be in mojo
.sorry I haven't checked the schedule.
if youre going to be 5 and1/2months then you must be feeling sick about now?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
glenboss
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 2:25:43 PM

lovebirdyart0000 wrote:
Thankyou everyone for your feedback :)

yes the chair thing seems to be a thing at a lot of festivals...womadelaide seems to be ok ...but it used to be better in the early days .

I really want to see Franti and Tash sultana & José González ..probably would attract mostly the young crowd that will get overwhelming.

I just come back from one day at Woodford which seems to be a little more family friendly...it was a pleasant day...and lots of seating.

Still have to make up my mind.....gah!

they say theres never a perfect time to have a baby...but obviously its better after festival season. lol

One of the good things about Bluesfest is that you can go at your own pace. We normally camp there which is great because if it all gets to much you can go back to your campsite and just relax for a while. The first night gets a bit hyper but by the end it's beautifully chilled out. If you get to the headliners a bit early you'll most probably find a chair to sit on in the tents. I don't mind they way they set it up with the chairs. They're all up the back half of the tents and it seems to me that only way they could do it. The 2 large tents also have big screens outside so if you have your own chair you should be able to find a good spot to sit and watch and listen. Many take a picnic rug and sit on the grass. If you love wonderful music you'll love Bluesfest. Having said that, I've never gone to Bluesfest pregnant !!!!