Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Thurs Night Headliner Options
skot20_58
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 6:57:13 AM
Groups: Member

glenboss wrote:
gertyson0000 wrote:
Anyone still in shock that that pop kid is headlining Thursday night.

I'll be trekking up to nimbin to avoid if there's not a legit clashing headliner on thurs as i'll be avoiding the teeny boppers on mollys or whatever they call themselves.

I am still very confused - the lack of interest either way is deafening.

The sad thing is not the deafening silence on this particular issue but rather the deafening silence on the forum generally. 2 years ago, at this stage in the year, there would have been several threads of lively debate going at once and I always thought they were interesting threads to read. I loved reading them and I used to learn so much about music. I also found the whole Forum thing thoroughly enhanced my Bluesfest experience. Now the forum has been reduced to 1 or 2 comments a day. I still read it but for me it seems a pale comparison to what it used to be. I think all the main posters of 2 years ago (the ones I thought of as the music gurus) sort of got banned at one stage or another (and usually 2/3 months out from Bluesfest each year). To me the really frustrating thing about it all, in my opinion, was that the great majority of these postings were positive posts about music and Bluesfest from a group of people who just loved music and loved Bluesfest.

Maybe one day we’ll get it back but then again, maybe facebook is really all we need.

Regards Glenboss

Bluesfest made it this way. I have a look at the forum here and there but I’ve lost interest in the regime they created.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
repete
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 12:27:37 PM

glenboss wrote:
gertyson0000 wrote:

I'll be trekking up to nimbin to avoid if there's not a legit clashing headliner on thurs as i'll be avoiding the teeny boppers on mollys or whatever they call themselves.

The sad thing is not the deafening silence on this particular issue but rather the deafening silence on the forum generally. 2 years ago, at this stage in the year, there would have been several threads of lively debate going at once and I always thought they were interesting threads to read. I loved reading them and I used to learn so much about music. I also found the whole Forum thing thoroughly enhanced my Bluesfest experience. Now the forum has been reduced to 1 or 2 comments a day. I still read it but for me it seems a pale comparison to what it used to be. I think all the main posters of 2 years ago (the ones I thought of as the music gurus) sort of got banned at one stage or another (and usually 2/3 months out from Bluesfest each year). To me the really frustrating thing about it all, in my opinion, was that the great majority of these postings were positive posts about music and Bluesfest from a group of people who just loved music and loved Bluesfest.

Maybe one day we’ll get it back but then again, maybe facebook is really all we need.

Regards Glenboss

It's a sad fact of life...the widespread dumbing down brought about by social media. Bluesfest had little option but to turn to facebook to market itself to as broad an audience as possible, but the consequence has been the decline in passionate and informed discussion about music. Now it's just banal stupidity over there and the occasional pearl here. Still, the music continues to be great and if you're not going to see Hurray for the Riff Raff on Thursday night then you don't know shit about anything (kidding...just enjoy whoever you see).

Oh...and it's the same with jazzfest, and their bored has a similar theme about the decline in informed passionate conversation about the music all because of facebook.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
mgwfall
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 4:44:11 PM

repete wrote:
glenboss wrote:
gertyson0000 wrote:

Regards Glenboss

It's a sad fact of life...the widespread dumbing down brought about by social media. Bluesfest had little option but to turn to facebook to market itself to as broad an audience as possible, but the consequence has been the decline in passionate and informed discussion about music. Now it's just banal stupidity over there and the occasional pearl here. Still, the music continues to be great and if you're not going to see Hurray for the Riff Raff on Thursday night then you don't know shit about anything (kidding...just enjoy whoever you see).

Oh...and it's the same with jazzfest, and their bored has a similar theme about the decline in informed passionate conversation about the music all because of facebook.

Completely disagree that facebook has anything to do with the decline of the discussion here on the Forum. I put it almost totally due to the attitude taken by (some) Moderators, preusambly with management approval.

Posts removed because they went "off topic" (otherwise known as people having a discussion).
Threads removed because management thin skinned about any criticism, even if the discussion included some positive suggestions.

I think my last post was on the second Santana thread just before it was removed, posting a link to Woodford's announcement on restricting numbers for the comfort of the patrons.

Bought my 5 day ticket at the festival this year, looking forward to the music next year.

Don't normally start thinking about what I plan to see each day until the program announced (clashes). And don't mind if there is a headliner that the young people want to see & I don't to drag said young people away from the tent I want to be in.

greybeard
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 6:02:21 PM

There may be some element of maturity in the board, no, no insult intended
In that this version of the Board is now over 9 years old and we have had 2 earlier versions if I remember correctly
So many will have written about their opinions repeatedly and to a degree are less vocal

Changed circumstances also must be expected over that time frame
The new chair regime has seen a reevaluation for me, being early to a gig yet being forced to the back is a
disincentive when piled on top of the costs and effort involved in a week away, and the effects of increasing age
It is no longer a forgone conclusion of Easter at Bryon
Still the Sydney side shows go along way

Yes the periods of 'over supervision' of the board has effects both good and bad.
Sometimes it feels like a puppy that's been over trained, not allowed to be the dog it was intended to be
And there is certainly an audience for Facebook

Change, the one constant.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
zabadooba
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 12:13:26 PM

Now the forum has been reduced to 1 or 2 comments a day. I still read it but for me it seems a pale comparison to what it used to be. I think all the main posters of 2 years ago (the ones I thought of as the music gurus) sort of got banned at one stage or another (and usually 2/3 months out from Bluesfest each year). To me the really frustrating thing about it all, in my opinion, was that the great majority of these postings were positive posts about music and Bluesfest from a group of people who just loved music and loved Bluesfest.

[/quote]

The depth of musical knowledge on the forum in comparison to FB is most obvious. Forum posters will also most likely call out bullshit from posters anyway. And it seems that there is slightly more tolerance on the forum for opinions that have some variance with the official BF line, but it does also appear that any dissenting opinion on the FB site is seen as treasonable and warrants a ban. Dissent and variance of opinion is fine as long as it's not abusive and some admin need to understand that and take a chill.

I'm an old fart and prefer my music bluesy but also have eclectic taste. However, (c)rap and hip hop and manufactured pop do not IMO a great festival make - and also tend to attract a different demographic than the traditional BF punter. But then maybe that is part of it - many of us are getting older and perhaps BF wants to attract a new generation ?
For now I continue to commit to 5 days knowing that I will find more than enough to attract and appease my musical tastes across the other stages if there is some tuneless muthaf*#$@ rapper or pop princess gallivanting around a stage with 20 dancers and no real musicians in sight.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 3:18:47 PM

You would need to take it back 10 years to before the start of this current board in 2008,to get a full picture.
It progressed along with reducing participation until January 2015 when there was adverse reaction to the much weaker 2015 lineup compared to the 25th anniversary.
10 of us were suspended,including 2 more than once,some decided to permanantly retire and here we are,at subsistence level.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
freexone
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 11:31:10 PM

I'm still here, (many years now)
but less inclined of these latter years

Other members of the forum know much more than me about music and who should play where and when.
I have stayed away from Facebook, and looking how people have become enslaved, I'm not going near it.

I've still got the lowest popssible score achieved in only 197 posts. And I've never been suspended...,. (go figure?????)
Happy New Year!!!!!! can't wait for Bluesfest!!!
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:19:31 PM

I completely agree with the basic rules of no insulting comments, no negative language about any artists, no commercial advertising, and to generally to keep it “nice”. Quite a few posters do get a bit passionate and I’ve often read things wondering how on earth they don’t get deleted only to find by the next day that they have been deleted. I have no problems with that. This is the only forum I have even read and participated in and I find words written without the associated body language, facial expressions, and general personal contact, especially with people you don’t know, can be taken many different ways. I see that in many posts and others reactions to those posts. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the great majority of posts are positive and I think my only sense of disappointment with the management of the forum is that they do not give their readers enough credit. If the majority of posts are positive then that’s how the readers will take the forum as a whole. They’ve got enough sense to work out the few negative posters

I wanted to respond to a few posts on this thread so I’ll do them all in one hit.

Repete - Facebook is pure advertising and marketing but I’ve never viewed the forum as a marketing tool for Bluesfest. I always felt appreciative towards Bluesfest for giving us Bluesfest followers a place where we could discuss both Bluesfest and music. I thought at the most they might gauge opinion on some matters and get the feel for what their customers wanted to listen to but that was all.

The Lone ranger - I was one of those 12 that got banned that time but that was after I had too much to drink one night and made off colour “humorous” comments/jokes which at the time of writing I thought was hilarious. I felt terrible after getting banned and realising that my humour was taken as highly insulting. I even wrote to the moderator at the time and apologised. Two things that episode taught me was stick to the drink driving rules when posting and take great care with making jokes.

Zabadooba – I’m with you !!! That description of you fits me as well.

Freexone – Took me a long time to work out what the negative points were for. I used to wake up the next morning and think to myself “Oh shit, please tell me I didn’t write that” and go and delete my post from the night before – hence the -2206 points. Since I introduced my drink driving rules I haven’t had many negative points (not that I’ve made that many posts since then anyway).

And last but not least - Mgwfall – Like you, I bought my tickets at the last Bluesfest knowing without the slightest shred of doubt that the music was going to be superb and that I was going to enjoy another 5 days of musical bliss. I have complete and utter faith in the Bluesfest team putting together a spectacular show.

Regards Glenboss

humanracin
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 8:42:02 AM

Sorry if my comment was overly negative or offensive. It was just an opinion about one of the nights ... so far.
I know more will get added for that night and I already think Friday and Sunday look spectacular.
I obviously enjoyed this festival this year as we are going again next year.
I love many types of music as I spend most of my money on CDs and concerts, I admit I enjoy festivals less than concerts these days though.
I think people should be able to voice an opinion on a forum, but I did receive some replies that I thought were a bit nasty and personally attacking me as a person when I've never met them. (which I never do to any other forum member)
For me its water off a ducks back though and I look forward to more announcements and discussion.
Although it does seem like theres only about 5 people here who regularly post?
andrewaw1230000
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 10:32:40 AM

For another perspective on Kesha: I was pretty disappointed when seeing the last announcement as there was not much on there that matched my tastes but thought I'd do some further research on the acts. To my surprise I noticed Kesha's latest album features both eagles of death metal and the dap kings!!!
Giving the album a listen initially didn't do a lot for me but my daughters loved it!!! And they're now so excited to see her live at
Bluesfest- and like all those youngsters who came to the festival for Kendrick a couple years back they'll be exposed to so many great acts and genres while they're there!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 1:42:28 PM

humanracin wrote:

Considering we had Patti Smith last year on Thursday I think compared to that this years Thursday looks a bit dull.
I hope this isn't becoming one of those forums where every post has to be praising everything...

As evidence of that, the reason 10 posters were suspended in 2015 was because it was perceived that there were too many negative comments.
And we had the previous point in time when the whole forum was closed down due to a wave of negativity.
As for last year's Thursday,we also had,just to pick out a few of the 30 other acts on offer:
Vintage Trouble
NAS with the Soul REbels
Gallant
Miles Electric Band
Snarky Puppy
St Paul & The Broken Bones
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
Corinne Bailey Rae
Rhiannon Giddens
Davy Knowles
The Mountain Goats
Eric Gales
Nikki Hill
Dumpastunk
The California Honeydrops
The Suffers
Devon Allman Band
If you cannot find five acts in there which interest you,there is no point attending Bluesfest.
Nowhere else south of the Equator will you have such musical riches on offer.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Flegal08
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 2:13:26 PM

We have always enjoyed Thursdays at Bluesfest, We spend as much time trying to navigate the numerous acts on Thursday as the rest of the festival.

My only true regret was that we didn't start coming to Bluesfest sooner because of our kids. In hindsight we should have brought them along.
We always buy our tickets for the next year at the current festival as we have every faith in Peter and his team to put on a great festival. I can honestly say that we have never been disappointed in any of the Bluesfests we have attended.

glenboss
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 2:53:15 PM

Flegal08 wrote:
We have always enjoyed Thursdays at Bluesfest, We spend as much time trying to navigate the numerous acts on Thursday as the rest of the festival.

My only true regret was that we didn't start coming to Bluesfest sooner because of our kids. In hindsight we should have brought them along.
We always buy our tickets for the next year at the current festival as we have every faith in Peter and his team to put on a great festival. I can honestly say that we have never been disappointed in any of the Bluesfests we have attended.

Same here. I didn't attend my first Bluesfest till my youngest headed off to Uni. I remember sitting down and reading the Sunday paper one morning shortly after he had left and reading about how Taj Mahal and Rodrigous (2 of my absolute favourite musicians for the last 30/40 years) were playing at the upcoming Bluesfest. I said to my wife "how about we go" and she said "yes" and off we went for just the one day that those 2 were playing. I got totally hooked that day. Since my wife's not so keen to camp for the 5 days (and she also didn't get instantly addicted like me) the next year my 2 sons came along with me for the 5 days. Last year was the first year that neither of them could make it but I think they'll both be back this year. This coming Bluesfest will by my 8th. I have thoroughly enjoyed every single one !!!!!
donny20
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2017 6:38:46 PM

To the people whinging about pop acts and hip-hop acts.It`s a fact of life that these people attract the younger people and the younger people have the money to spend on alcohol ,merc,C.D.`s ,etc.Us oldies[40+]don`t spend as much.I personally detest this music but if they are making more money at the festival ,it gives them more scope to get other acts that they might not be able to afford.Besides it puts a lot of the drunken young fools a long way from me.
magnolia500000
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 2:27:35 PM

I’m super excited for Thursday actually! Holy Holy are amazing live, looking forward to Gomez & Elephant Sessions too. Plenty of bands I haven’t heard of but slowly familiarising myself with them ahead of the event & I have been enjoying getting tips from friends about their favs who’ll be amongst the lineup.

This will be my first Bluesfest. Thanks for the tip on the colour coding Glenboss :-) How do I work out what’s clashing though cos I can’t see any set-times yet?

Regards
Magnolia500000
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 5:03:57 PM

This will be my first Bluesfest. Thanks for the tip on the colour coding Glenboss :-) How do I work out what’s clashing though cos I can’t see any set-times yet?

Notice at the foot of the Artist Playing Schedule advise

Quote:

Many more artists to be announced. Stages & Playing times to be advised.
This schedule is subject to change without notification.

So currently people can workout which days they are best served - stages and times will appear closer to to Easter

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Brettjack
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 3:49:03 PM

Regards
Magnolia500000[/quote]

Has anyone else ever wished the program/schedule was printed the other way around in relation to the x/y axes (I don't know how else to explain it?)
The days/times should be printed down the side, and stages across the top, so that you can look across the page - left to right - for any given day/time to see if there are any interests clashing rather than looking up and down a column. Seems more intuitive to me?
I've taken to cutting the whole thing up and taping it back together this way, but it'd definitely be more user-friendly to just have it laid out that way to begin with.
Magnolia - colour-coding sounds like a good idea. For mine - I put a tick on every act I want to see, then an asterisk if they're only appearing once. Although whatever planning I make is usually thrown into confusion by walking past a tent at just the right time and discovering a band that wasn't on my list - like Dumpstaphunk last year. It's happy confusion, though.
The last 6 or 7 years I've also opened a memo on my phone and listed the acts I've seen that year at the end of each day. When you're seeing around 40 bands per festival you can forget some real beauties after a couple of years. It's nice to go back and remember those acts.
Also makes you realise what a bargain the 5 day ticket is at the price.

There is no "good" or "bad" music - there is just music.
Live and let live!
waffles
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 5:31:06 PM

yes we have asked for several years to have the schedule changed...but to no avail.

but as we get closer some nice people usually give a link to a better laid out program...keep a eye out on here.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
glenboss
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 10:49:17 PM

Brettjack wrote:

Regards
Magnolia500000

Has anyone else ever wished the program/schedule was printed the other way around in relation to the x/y axes (I don't know how else to explain it?)
The days/times should be printed down the side, and stages across the top, so that you can look across the page - left to right - for any given day/time to see if there are any interests clashing rather than looking up and down a column. Seems more intuitive to me?
I've taken to cutting the whole thing up and taping it back together this way, but it'd definitely be more user-friendly to just have it laid out that way to begin with.
Magnolia - colour-coding sounds like a good idea. For mine - I put a tick on every act I want to see, then an asterisk if they're only appearing once. Although whatever planning I make is usually thrown into confusion by walking past a tent at just the right time and discovering a band that wasn't on my list - like Dumpstaphunk last year. It's happy confusion, though.
The last 6 or 7 years I've also opened a memo on my phone and listed the acts I've seen that year at the end of each day. When you're seeing around 40 bands per festival you can forget some real beauties after a couple of years. It's nice to go back and remember those acts.
Also makes you realise what a bargain the 5 day ticket is at the price.
[/quote]

Magnolia500000 - You're going to love it. They usually release the final program about a month or so out from the festival so that'll give you heaps to time to work out your own schedule.

Brettjack, That's what I do. Times down both sides of the page and the tents along the top and I even put them in tent order. Jambalaya, Crossroads, Mojo, Delta, Juke Joint. Add a bit of colour to that and it doesn't matter what state of mind I'm in it's really easy to read/understand. I also don't cope well with army time. 19.30 I've really got to think about. 7.30 I don't. I also like to be able to tell at a glance what time the acts finish as well. My first couple of Bluesfests I was dissapoimted to have missed a few acts I really wanted to see so that's why I put the effort into planning it now. It's impossible to plan for the unexpected disappointments or the accidental brilliant finds so sometimes you've just go with the flow. With so much beautiful music happening you can't really go wrong whichever way you do it. One of my sons used to roll up and on the first day would ask "right, who's playing at Bluesfest this year". I just couldn't that. I never knew whether to hug him or hit him. Doing up the program is a labour of love for me.

bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 5:48:48 AM

Dear Greybeard,
I for one appreciated your colourful post.

When they go low-we go high.