Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Thurs Night Headliner Options
mccin0000
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 10:59:56 PM
Groups: Member

The obvious thurs night headliner act - http://prophetsofrage.com/tour/ in town on the day.

Fits the bill perfectly. Last two years Kendrick / Nas = iconic artists that mean something. Can’t see the present line up cutting it for a bone fida opening night Byron Bay Bluesfest line up. Add these lads to the mix and we have a world class line up on Thurs night....
eileenk9
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:11:35 AM

Would much prefer that to the pop/hip-hop/rap crap

andrewaw1230000
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:21:39 AM

I would be so stoked if this happens-but Prophets do have a show in Japan the night after-too tight a turnaround????

They would be perfect for the Thursday slot that Nas and Kendrick had the last two years
mccin0000
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:38:57 AM

It’s a 12 hour flight..... that can’t be the final headliner for Thurs night can it??? Makes no sense to me as a long time bluesfest patron.
BC1987
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:01:55 AM

would be amazing if they played bluesfest on the thursday night, but if it doesn't happen i'm seeing them in brisbane on march 26 anyway so i'm all good when it comes to the prophets of rage.
gertyson0000
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:05:06 AM

Anyone still in shock that that pop kid is headlining Thursday night.

I'll be trekking up to nimbin to avoid if there's not a legit clashing headliner on thurs as i'll be avoiding the teeny boppers on mollys or whatever they call themselves.

I am still very confused - the lack of interest either way is deafening.
Flegal08
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:56:21 PM

I am assuming that there are a few more acts to be added. There is enough interest on Thursday for me.

Jason Isbell
Rag'n bone man
Govt Mule
Blues Brothers
The Wailers
Lucas Nelson
Joe Louis Walker
The California Honey Drops, and others that I will check out on you tube before hand.

I am sure that I will have to miss someone who is playing multiple times to catch the those that are only playing once or twice.

The more acts added the more I will have clashes.
andrewaw1230000
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:57:47 AM

I'm still holding out for a hip hop act - although Nas and Kendrick are near impossible to top
humanracin
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:59:52 AM

Thursday looks pretty awful, we are doing Friday and Sunday so far.
Saturday also looks a bit dull to me, they would have to add something pretty amazing for us to upgrade to a 3 day.
littlewillie
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:46:32 PM

humanracin wrote:

Saturday also looks a bit dull to me, they would have to add something pretty amazing for us to upgrade to a 3 day.

Every day looks amazing to me, either you're hard to please or I'm easy to please.

I believe it's the former.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:33:52 PM

yep Thursday looks fine to me. as well as what FLEGAL08 previously mentioned I m looking forward to William crighton, hurrah for the riff raff,dumpstafunk,gomez and more.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:49:47 PM

You need 4 or 5 sets to fill up Thursday & 8 for Saturday.
I can see 8 of real interest on Thursday & 11 of real interest on Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccRtO1mJfw
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
nelson7007
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 7:29:46 AM

littlewillie wrote:
humanracin wrote:

Every day looks amazing to me, either you're hard to please or I'm easy to please.

Agree. Some people are never happy without having a whinge and a moan.

Who needs a headliner anyway? While am sure there will be clashes, Thursday looks just fine with Jason Isbell, Gomez, Govt Mule, RagnBone Man and Hurray for the Riff Raff already on my draft list. Add in a little Holy Holy and some Scottish folk from Elephant Sessions - Live Act of the Year at the Scots Trad Awards 2016 no less - and I for one can’t wait.

humanracin
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 4:11:37 PM

With so much repetition the few acts I want to see who are playing Thursday are also playing Friday.
But there's nothing exclusive on Thursday that interests me.
Same goes for Saturday.
I'm happy with the 2 days I'm going but considering we had Patti Smith last year on Thursday I think compared to that this years Thursday looks a bit dull.
But one mans (or womans) trash is another mans (or womans) treasure, its all just a matter of opinion.
I hope this isn't becoming one of those forums where every post has to be praising everything...
littlewillie
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 5:40:36 PM

Your comment was "Thursday looks pretty awful"

Stupid thing to say don't you think.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 6:29:36 PM

humanracin wrote:
.But there's nothing exclusive on Thursday that interests me.Same goes for Saturday.

You have narrow musical tastes.So festivals are not for you.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 6:35:09 PM

humanracin wrote:
Considering we had Patti Smith last year on Thursday I think compared to that this years Thursday looks a bit dull.

Yes there are those that say that Horses was her peaking and from there is was all downhill.
I know nothing of her material so am unable to comment.
But I do know that on Thursday 13th April 2017 there were 30 other acts on offer at Bluesfest 2017.
If punters could not find five acts of musical interest on that night,they may as well stay at home and watch TV,or listen to commercial radio.
Because they have no interest in music.

glenboss
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 9:15:55 PM

nelson7007 wrote:
littlewillie wrote:
humanracin wrote:

Agree. Some people are never happy without having a whinge and a moan.

Who needs a headliner anyway? While am sure there will be clashes, Thursday looks just fine with Jason Isbell, Gomez, Govt Mule, RagnBone Man and Hurray for the Riff Raff already on my draft list. Add in a little Holy Holy and some Scottish folk from Elephant Sessions - Live Act of the Year at the Scots Trad Awards 2016 no less - and I for one can’t wait.

I’m with you Nelson7007. So far they’ve announced 16 acts for Thursday night. 11 of those I’ve got highlighted in red which means I’m absolutely definitely determined to see them at some stage throughout the 5 days, 2 in blue which means the only reason I’m going to not see them is because they unavoidably clash with the “red ones”, and 3 in black which means I’ve got no interest what so ever. Basically every day so far is approximately the same proportion. This is with only half the acts being announced !!!!!!!

I think that last year they had less “headliners” than ever yet I enjoyed the music more last year than I ever had. This year is shaping up to be the same thing.

Regards Glenboss

PS I colour code my Bluesfest program by the way.

glenboss
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 9:48:24 PM

gertyson0000 wrote:
Anyone still in shock that that pop kid is headlining Thursday night.

I'll be trekking up to nimbin to avoid if there's not a legit clashing headliner on thurs as i'll be avoiding the teeny boppers on mollys or whatever they call themselves.

I am still very confused - the lack of interest either way is deafening.

The sad thing is not the deafening silence on this particular issue but rather the deafening silence on the forum generally. 2 years ago, at this stage in the year, there would have been several threads of lively debate going at once and I always thought they were interesting threads to read. I loved reading them and I used to learn so much about music. I also found the whole Forum thing thoroughly enhanced my Bluesfest experience. Now the forum has been reduced to 1 or 2 comments a day. I still read it but for me it seems a pale comparison to what it used to be. I think all the main posters of 2 years ago (the ones I thought of as the music gurus) sort of got banned at one stage or another (and usually 2/3 months out from Bluesfest each year). To me the really frustrating thing about it all, in my opinion, was that the great majority of these postings were positive posts about music and Bluesfest from a group of people who just loved music and loved Bluesfest.

Maybe one day we’ll get it back but then again, maybe facebook is really all we need.

Regards Glenboss
bucetti1
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 4:59:31 AM

Great post Glenboss.

When they go low-we go high.