Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Fats Domino RIP Options
repete
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:45:55 AM
Groups: Member

One of the founders of rock 'n roll and old school r 'n b has died. Fats suffered from dementia in his latter years but will always be remembered as one of the originators, one of the greats. I suspect his funeral and second line will shut down New Orleans as he was greatly loved. RIP Fats

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:57:26 AM

.................................... Fats Domino Ain't That A Shame

Another giant has left the building - his legacy lives on

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:22:21 AM

Very sad -as is the passing of George Young.

When they go low-we go high.
mpember
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 10:53:16 AM

Here is what Jon Cleary posted on Facebook today. It is a nice insight into the struggles that Fats faced in his latter years and the moments of joy that were still possible.

Quote:
Fats used to sit on his porch, about fifteen or twenty blocks from my front door, and wave back to local fans as they drove home from the grocery store. His house, modern and stylish in the early sixties, still stands out like a run down birthday cake on a tray of old vegetables, and when the levee broke and the neighborhood drowned he was taken away in a helicopter from the streets he’d grown up in to a suburb a way away from the city.
The first time I visited him in his new place we had to punch in a combination for an electric gate to swing silently into a private world of empty neat streets and manicured lawns. This was a long way from the old and funky New Orleans 9th ward. These neighbors were politicians and lawyers, not musicians, gangsters and plumbers, a long way from the funk on the other side of the Mississippi river.
His memory was failing and he’d stopped gigging when he started to forget his song lyrics. ‘Is little Booker still living’? he asked me and seemed confused when I answered, as gently as I could, that no, James Booker died nearly thirty years ago. His eyes misted over and he seemed to focus on a distant time somewhere in the past. He thought for a second, looked back at me, and asked ‘Is little Booker still living?’ and when I gave him the same answer he was obviously lost.
After the storm, a piano company from Arkansas had given him a new baby grand, but his daughter said he rarely went near it. Through neglect it had become a bit plunky and a little out of tune but I squeezed a few bars of a blues out of it and from the other side of the room I could see Fats look up with a curious expression. It was as if, for him, everything in the periphery had been shunted to the side and someone had flicked on a switch.
He came over, a bit cautious at first, leant on the right side of the piano looking concerned and then, at a flourish smiled and edged round a little closer. By the second chorus he was reaching out to the keyboard, tentatively testing the water, and then he set his beer on top and moved around so that he could join in properly and started playing some octave runs that were the hippest licks I think I’d ever heard him play. I mean, really good! The man was in his mid-eighties with his head somewhere in the clouds but for a minute there his touch was as light and dextrous as it had probably been back in the fifties when he’d tear up the keys at the club Desire. Fats Domino was getting down.
We brought it to a close, laughed and patted each other on the back and as he stepped away to sit down again the light in his eyes seemed to dim a little.
As we stood in the door way to say our goodbyes he turned to me and asked ‘Is li’l Booker still living’?

If anyone has a Facebook account, but may have missed it, Jon also posted short video of he and Fats doing their thing on the piano.
zyfert
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 3:09:06 PM

Thank you for sharing that - would have otherwise been totally oblivious.
Great story and classic video.
Let's get Jon Cleary back to Bluesfest as well.
waffles
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 4:53:48 PM

hes playing mullum music fest in November.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 5:24:06 PM

Nov 3Fri Wangaratta Festival
Wangaratta, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 4 Sat Wangaratta Festival
Wangaratta, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 5 Sun Heritage Hotel
Wollongong, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 7 Tue Brass Monkey
Cronulla, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 8Wed Canberra Theatre
Canberra City, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 9 Thu Lizottes
Lambton, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 10 , 11 and 12
The Basement
Circular Quay, Australia
Nov 14, 15 &16
Birds Basement
Melbourne, Australia
Tickets RSVP

Nov 17 Fri The Zoo
Brisbane / Australia, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 18, 19 Mullum Music Festival
Huonbrook, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 21Tue Fly By Night
Fremantle, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 22 ,23The Ellington
Perth, Australia
Tickets RSVP

Nov 24 Fri The Gov
Adelaide, Australia
Tickets RSVP
Nov 25, 26 Queenscliff Festival
Queenscliff, Australia
Tickets RSVP

Jan 27 Sat The Hamilton Live
Washington, DC

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
regards
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 9:15:38 AM

Fats is greatly loved in New Orleans and will be sadly missed.

I have no doubt that the second line Parade next Wednesday that heads off from Vaughans down to Fats famous old house, will be a big affair, and I reckon that after they parade back to
Vaughans that the party will be massive.

Some of my friends will be in that number and with luck I will get some photos.

They are now also talking about renaming Lee Circle after Fats, as the council have not decided what to do since they took down Robert E Lees statue.

And now you have a massive column with nothing on the top of it. We shall see. Things normally move very slowly in Nola.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:30:59 PM

I talked to some friends that were at the second line parade for Fats.

And a fine time was had by all. And fats got sent off in the typical unique Nola fashion.

It ended up as a huge street party, as was to be expected for a local and World music legend.

littlewillie
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:57:58 PM

regards wrote:
I talked to some friends that were at the second line parade for Fats.

And a fine time was had by all. And fats got sent off in the typical unique Nola fashion.

It ended up as a huge street party, as was to be expected for a local and World music legend.

Great to hear.