Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bob Dylan Sideshows Announced Options
bakes09
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 11:26:27 AM
Groups: Member

Jaylee1
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 11:53:06 AM

The cynic in me suggests that Jethro Tull or Elvis Costello will be the big clash on Monday night - thus paving the way for punters to catch Tull, then see Dylan on the Tuesday

The ticket button sends you straight to BluesFest, so as yet, no indication of price or who else will be on the bill

JT
colinsid
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 2:44:03 PM

No Bluesfest Tuesday yet, & Sydney on Wednesday makes it tight schedule.
With special Guest BB King in Adelaide.
humanracin
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 3:31:15 PM

4 Shows in NSW, and yet no QLD date???
bakes09
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 6:56:11 PM

colinsid wrote:
No Bluesfest Tuesday yet, & Sydney on Wednesday makes it tight schedule.
With special Guest BB King in Adelaide.

He's done 3 night runs across different cities before so it should be OK.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 7:23:36 PM
Groups: Administration

Watch website for possible extra date for Bluesfest - note all Dylan shows in region are exclusive - there will be no Brisbane concert
Bboard admin
richo
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 10:11:53 PM

I caught Dylan four nights in a row in three different states last year over in the US. No such thing as tight scheduling for Dylan.

Real shame that there's not a Brisbane show... even though I'd almost certainly miss it due to my Bluesfest commitments. Brisbane has been a part of every single Dylan tour since 1966... April 2011 marks the 45th anniversary of his first ever performance here.
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:07:21 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Watch website for possible extra date for Bluesfest - note all Dylan shows in region are exclusive - there will be no Brisbane concert
Bboard admin

Why did my last post get removed?
What happened to freedom of speech?
All I did was complain that Byron is in NSW and not QLD, and that Bluesfest is not "just down the road" from Brisbane!
Its not helping Brisbanes economy, which has just been devastated by floods by denying us any sideshows.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:25:39 PM
Groups: Administration

Your post was deleted because it contained an expletive - which is against the rules of the BBoard.
Whilst you are welcome to your opinion - there are rules on the Bboard - and you must comply with them - or your posts will be deleted or amended - You are a new user and do not possibly know our rules
Which are
Be nice - or leave.

Bboard Admin
humanracin
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:28:03 AM

My expletive contained *, %, and &, so it was more of a cartoon expletive lol
I wasn't intending to be nasty, more whingey than anything really.
I just hate how Byron shows stop artists coming to Brisbane, we watch all this great stuff hit Sydney which is in the same state, its annoying.
Anyway, I will play nice :)
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:00:19 AM

Distance from Brisbane to Bluesfest 135km or less than 1.5 km freeway driving, distance from Sydney to Bluesfest 785km or close to 8 hours drive with rest stops.
State boundaries are irrelevent in this situation.
richo
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:22:42 AM

According to Google maps Brisbane to Bluesfest is 150km. At any rate not a practical distance to drive to and from for a show ending at midnight, and as such I'd happily argue these aren't within the same region (as would just about any reasonable definition of local regions in Australia). Then there's Woollongong and Sydney both getting shows, which are far closer together than Brisbane and Byron.

I heard the Splendour in the Grass organisers once say that they don't put on Brisbane sideshows because they've always run at a loss (gotta be untrue) and because they don't want to create a recurring situation where Brisbane residents (their core audience, like Bluesfest I presume) don't buy festival tickets in anticipation of sideshows. I personally think that a festival with many artists in a rural area versus a headline show in a theatre or entertainment centre are so fundamentally at odds with each other that there's no way they'd be likely to have too much audience crossover outside of hardcore fans of the artist, who would make up the smallest percentage of the crowd and would be likely to see both a festival and headline show.

My guess is that Bluesfest owns the rights to Dylan at Bluesfest (they're paying the artist/travel/accommodation costs associated for these performances, they get all the profits), and part of this contract with Chugg (who would have the rest of the rights nationally) was that Brisbane is left off the list so that the two companies aren't competing for the same audience (though I don't think this really is the case).

As far as I'm concerned though, despite the unfortunate fact of Brisbane missing out on a 45th anniversary show, two shows at Bluesfest are surely preferable to one at that atrocious Brisbane Entertainment Centre.
humanracin
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:09:41 PM

colinsid wrote:
Distance from Brisbane to Bluesfest 135km or less than 1.5 km freeway driving, distance from Sydney to Bluesfest 785km or close to 8 hours drive with rest stops.
State boundaries are irrelevent in this situation.

Quoting distances and kms is irrelevent to someone who doesn't own a car for environmental reasons...
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:20:31 PM

richo wrote:
I heard the Splendour in the Grass organisers once say that they don't put on Brisbane sideshows because they've always run at a loss (gotta be untrue)

What are you basing that on?

Almost every Splendour sideshow up here has stiffed badly.

The poster formerly known as Dan
richo
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:43:22 PM

Just doesn't seem logical to me that a properly promoted show by a band people want to see could do badly in Brisbane considering demand for Splendour tickets is well above supply. I don't doubt that many have underperformed, but rather I was taking umbrage with the assertion that every single show ran at a loss. I hardly have a list in front of me but my recollection is that 2007's Arctic Monkeys Tivoli show sold out.

Bluesfest routinely puts on sideshows for acts in Brisbane; Eric Bibb almost always plays one, Lyle Lovett had one last year, Lucinda Williams the year before. John Fogerty at the Entertainment Centre the year before that. The omission of a Brisbane show for Dylan, perhaps one of the most bankable acts Bluesfest has ever put on, just seems odd.
charlievegan
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:04:29 PM

dont worry humanracin the bluesfestadministrator must have just got a promotion and its gone to his/he head!
katieforfree
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:27:20 AM

I have to go to Brisbane to see shows so its a bonus when Peter brings them here to me. I have driven to see Dylan at the Entertainment Centre and come back the same night. I can assure you Dylan at Bluesfest will be superior in everyway to the what I experienced there.
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:06:27 AM

I got 2nd row at Sydney Concert, can't wait :)