Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Fum Times in New Orleans and surrounds Sept/Oct 2017 Options
regards
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:58:55 AM
Groups: Member

Well it is that time of the year again, and I have been slack in reporting my musical adventures.

I have been back in my second home for 3 weeks, and it was unusually mild for the first week and a half, due to a front that pushed Irma towards Florida but it has been hot and humid since then.

I have kept a records of thoughts of who I have seen.

1st night was T Bone Stone and Kenny Claiborne at Checkpoint Charlie, the night after was Doopsie Jnr at Rock N Bowl.

That Friday it was Gleason Gras at Champions Square next to the Dome, and it featured John King Cleary then Colin Lake and finished of with Rebirth, who were all very good as usual.
And the sound was great, as the saints own the system. This was a free charity event and to top it off we won over $200 worth of food and drink vouches for a couple of different places around town
Next day there were 2 fests on at the one time. So we started at the HamBurger fest and saw Donald Harrison followed by the Cesar Brother featuring Big Chief Juan Pardo, then we skipped over to the Mint for Sunpie Barnes then back to the riverfront for the brilliant musos in Los Hombres Caliente. And finished off with the Cyril Neville band featuring Cranston Clements on Guitar and listened to some top music with all the boat traffic on the river going by
Next day was a bit of blur but I know I got in some trad Jazz when the Mrs was fading.
That Monday night there was a Saints game so we went to Red Beans and rice cooking comp at BMacs and sadly watched the Saints get flogged.

Tuesday I had an easy one but still managed to get in some 50c Oysters and $2.50 beers during the 3 hour happy hour at Superior Seafood. Next night we headed across the river for the start of the Wednesdays On The Point series and caught some Zydeco with Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band.

That Thursday it was the start of the Jazz In The Park fall series in Armstrong Park and we saw the mighty Erica Falls before jumping on the street car to the dome to check out a young Irish band called U2, which we enjoyed but the beer was more expensive than BluesFest.

Next day I know I was struggling and I cant remember who I saw when I was out on my own.
Saturday we started at Lunchtime for a surprise 50th for a friend and then we went to the Maison for their monthly Zydeco arvo which had a couple of bands playing and is sponsored by a foundation that we are part off. After that I sadly could not get a ticket to the sold out TTB at the Saenger so I went home for a much needed early night.

Sunday we had another early start at the Bayou Beergarden to watch the Saints get flogged again, then went home for a swim and then headed off to Rock N Bowl for some old style Cajun stuff with Bruce Dagriepont. The next day my filing system has failed me.

The Tuesday we headed to the quarter for happy hour oysters etc, and saw the excellent Bayou Saints.

Wednesday we went over to the Point hoping to see Walter Wolfman Washington but lightning cancelled the gig, so it was back to DBA for the Tin Men.

Thursday it was Jazz In The Park with John Boutte who was in fine voice and had a good band featuring Juan Yamagushi on lead.

Friday we walked to Tips for a special performance of a local supergroup of sort The Magnificent 7 who feature the Malone Brothers from The Subdudes and The Radiators plus Mark Mullins from Bonerama, Raymond Webber on Drums, John Gros. Rob Mercurio from Galactic and Mike Skinkus. This was fine night indeed with a loving audience.

Followed up slowly on Saturday with the fried Chicken Fest at Woldenberg Park by the river and we caught up with some krewe and saw Kristin Diable, then Sean Ardoin and finished
with Shamar Allan and feasted on fried Chicken Livers amongst other things.

Sunday was a battle and I headed out for an early start to watch the Saint play away at BMacs and they redeemed themselves by flogging Carolina, that sparked me up so I went back
to Chicken Fest again and saw a young band called Motel Radio who were fine according to my muso friends but a bit mellow for me, this was followed by top performance by Big Sams funky Nation and I skipped big freida and the bounce stuff and headed off home for a sort of early night.

Monday I was battling and had a night in.
Last night we did happy hour with the Bayou Saints who have different band members each week depending on who is available, and pigged out the 50c oysters and wings.

That sort of brings me up to date I think. And I better ride down the pushie down to the river to sweat out some beer.

TBC

Regards
repete
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 8:06:51 AM

regards wrote:

Well it is that time of the year again, and I have been slack in reporting my musical adventures.

I have been back in my second home for 3 weeks, and it was unusually mild for the first week and a half, due to a front that pushed Irma towards Florida but it has been hot and humid since then.

1st night was T Bone Stone and Kenny Claiborne at Checkpoint Charlie, the night after was Doopsie Jnr at Rock N Bowl.

That Friday it was Gleason Gras at Champions Square next to the Dome, and it featured John King Cleary then Colin Lake and finished of with Rebirth, who were all very good as usual.
And the sound was great, as the saints own the system. This was a free charity event and to top it off we won over $200 worth of food and drink vouches for a couple of different places around town
Next day there were 2 fests on at the one time. So we started at the HamBurger fest and saw Donald Harrison followed by the Cesar Brother featuring Big Chief Juan Pardo, then we skipped over to the Mint for Sunpie Barnes then back to the riverfront for the brilliant musos in Los Hombres Caliente. And finished off with the Cyril Neville band featuring Cranston Clements on Guitar and listened to some top music with all the boat traffic on the river going by
Next day was a bit of blur but I know I got in some trad Jazz when the Mrs was fading.
That Monday night there was a Saints game so we went to Red Beans and rice cooking comp at BMacs and sadly watched the Saints get flogged.

Tuesday I had an easy one but still managed to get in some 50c Oysters and $2.50 beers during the 3 hour happy hour at Superior Seafood. Next night we headed across the river for the start of the Wednesdays On The Point series and caught some Zydeco with Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band.

That Thursday it was the start of the Jazz In The Park fall series in Armstrong Park and we saw the mighty Erica Falls before jumping on the street car to the dome to check out a young Irish band called U2, which we enjoyed but the beer was more expensive than BluesFest.

Next day I know I was struggling and I cant remember who I saw when I was out on my own.
Saturday we started at Lunchtime for a surprise 50th for a friend and then we went to the Maison for their monthly Zydeco arvo which had a couple of bands playing and is sponsored by a foundation that we are part off. After that I sadly could not get a ticket to the sold out TTB at the Saenger so I went home for a much needed early night.

Sunday we had another early start at the Bayou Beergarden to watch the Saints get flogged again, then went home for a swim and then headed off to Rock N Bowl for some old style Cajun stuff with Bruce Dagriepont. The next day my filing system has failed me.

The Tuesday we headed to the quarter for happy hour oysters etc, and saw the excellent Bayou Saints.

Wednesday we went over to the Point hoping to see Walter Wolfman Washington but lightning cancelled the gig, so it was back to DBA for the Tin Men.

Thursday it was Jazz In The Park with John Boutte who was in fine voice and had a good band featuring Juan Yamagushi on lead.

Friday we walked to Tips for a special performance of a local supergroup of sort The Magnificent 7 who feature the Malone Brothers from The Subdudes and The Radiators plus Mark Mullins from Bonerama, Raymond Webber on Drums, John Gros. Rob Mercurio from Galactic and Mike Skinkus. This was fine night indeed with a loving audience.

Followed up slowly on Saturday with the fried Chicken Fest at Woldenberg Park by the river and we caught up with some krewe and saw Kristin Diable, then Sean Ardoin and finished

Sunday was a battle and I headed out for an early start to watch the Saint play away at BMacs and they redeemed themselves by flogging Carolina, that sparked me up so I went back
to Chicken Fest again and saw a young band called Motel Radio who were fine according to my muso friends but a bit mellow for me, this was followed by top performance by Big Sams funky Nation and I skipped big freida and the bounce stuff and headed off home for a sort of early night.

Last night we did happy hour with the Bayou Saints who have different band members each week depending on who is available, and pigged out the 50c oysters and wings.

That sort of brings me up to date I think. And I better ride down the pushie down to the river to sweat out some beer.

TBC

Regards

Sounds great!! We're coming back for jazzfest next year...wooohoooo!! And then Cuba...can you believe it? New Orleans and Havana? Are there two greater music cities on the planet???

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:56:36 AM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:

TBC

Regards

Sounds great!! We're coming back for jazzfest next year...wooohoooo!! And then Cuba...can you believe it? New Orleans and Havana? Are there two greater music cities on the planet???

Glad to hear that you guys will be back for Fest next year, and then onwards to Cuba, well done.

Let me know if you want me to listen out for any Fest accom deals.

I better rush am about to head out to Johny Sansones 60th Birthday Bash.

Life must go on. Day hi to Christie for me.

Cheers

PS Go Tigers and the Storm
repete
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 7:36:38 AM

Accommodation is all good. As usual, I left it late but we found a room where we have stayed before in Marigny. Getting from NOLA to Havana is a nightmare but we've worked it out so all is good. And all good on the footy front down here plus Johnny Sansone should be invited to bluesfest!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
youngbill
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 5:04:09 PM

Good lawd! I'm exhausted just reading about it. I have worked up a powerful thirst though for some reason...
regards
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 8:02:00 AM

repete wrote:
Accommodation is all good. As usual, I left it late but we found a room where we have stayed before in Marigny. Getting from NOLA to Havana is a nightmare but we've worked it out so all is good. And all good on the footy front down here plus Johnny Sansone should be invited to bluesfest!!!

Good to hear that you have things sorted.

And I was delighted to see that both Richmond and The Mighty Melbourne Storm saluted.

Completely agree about Jumping Johnny he would go over really well at BluesFest
regards
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 8:05:39 AM

youngbill wrote:
Good lawd! I'm exhausted just reading about it. I have worked up a powerful thirst though for some reason...

I hear you. I am struggling a bit myself today.

After a couple of days camping at Bogalusa Blues Festival and then racing back here the end of Gretna Fest yesterday arvo.

Need to race off to another surprise Birthday Party right now, on a Monday night.

Oh well the beat goes on
regards
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 4:21:15 PM

The last couple of days here have been sad the same as everywhere else.

The idiocy of the gun laws here are too hard to take, as are the response of some of the morons in Government and elsewhere.

But we have kept on seeing music, as sometimes it keeps reality at bay.

Last Wednesday was a low key affair for Johnny Sansones 60th but was very good. He had the very good local muso, Bruce Sunpie Barnes up with him for several songs and the dueling accordians sounded great, they also traded hot harp solos, and both would go over a storm at BluesFest.

Thursday were getting sorted to go camping but still managed to get to Rock N Bowl to see Chubby Carrier who drew a bigger crowd than normal, and I appreciated him a lot more than some of the other Zydeco acts I have seen recently.

Friday it was out to the country side to go camping at the Bogalusa Blues festival. And it was fantastic. Friday night we saw Colin Lake and band who put on a very good show, followed by Monk Boudreaux and his all star band and they were brilliant. This festival has a small soundshell as the main stage that faces up hill to grassed area with shade available at the sides. So the sound is very good and Monk who has had health problems in recent years sounded very good and the band performed very well.

Next up was Anders Osborne and he had his rockin hat on, and powered it out for most of the show, and he thankfully looked free of his long term back problem.
This was great from go to whoa. Anders in full flight is a sight to behold, and his version of Cortez The Killer had lots of us very happy.

We partied for too long after such a great Friday night and were battling Saturday and then started with some great traditional acoustic blues from Jimmy Duck Holmes, after that I got sidetracked but returned for a fun set by a rollicking piano player Victor Wainwright and band who were good fun.

I then retreated to a friends hammock but returned for a good set by Samantha Fish, who I enjoy but don't love as much as some others I know.
The day finished off with a mighty show from the North Mississippi Allstars, who had the lovely Daniele Nicole on Bass and vocals, who I had met hear at Bogalusa previously.
Plus the legendary Johnny Vidacovich on percussion. They were great just like Anders the night before Luther put on a guitar lesson and Johnny V inspired the back end to greater heights.
Daniele has a good voice plays well and augments the band. It was an awesome finish to a very good little festival.

Next morning it was up to pack up in unusually mild weather to head back to Nola, eating some dodgy food in transit and listening to the Mighty Saints on the radio, who did their job over in London. Just like Richmond and the Mighty Melbourne Storm had done prior.
We got home dropped stuff off and headed over and then a little down river to Gretna Fest. This is always entertaining in many ways, and I struggled to behave after too many travellers and the previous few days carry on. But we saw a good mix of musical styles. We caught the end of Rockin Doopsie Jnr, who was on the cool River stage and he entertained as he always does, but was loosing his voice. Then it all blends in to 1 a bit but I was disturbed by the differing beer options and the prices, compared to my last time here, but after further searching things came good. I saw a couple of different portions of Gail Holidays set, and saw a fair bit of Marc Brousards set, who had the big band with him, and was good as usual.
We then saw a couple of songs from Pat Benatar who still has a very good voice, but I was told I needed some food and I went and accepted that fact. And a fine few day was finished off with fun set by the B52s who had the crowd dancing, even if they don't get down down as much as they once did.

Yesterday was a definite struggle but we were at a surprise birthday at 5 and then I went to see a very fine show acoustic show that featured Alex McMurray and Tommy Malone 2 very good guitar players and song writers, it made for a fine Monday evening after a very rainy day.

Today has been a struggle but 50c Oysters helped ease the pain later in the arvo

TBC

waffles
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 4:16:02 PM

just out of interest,with all your travels in the u.s. have you ever been near any incidents involving guns?

ps would love to see anders Osbourne at bluesfest.

keep up the great reviews.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
repete
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 8:02:38 PM

I assume you'll be at the Ponderosa Stomp?? Roky Erikson's show should be a hoot - he was fabulous in 2007 and it's great he's still going!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 11:59:40 PM

waffles wrote:
just out of interest,with all your travels in the u.s. have you ever been near any incidents involving guns?

Met up with a guy from the US when I was in Byron for bf & asked him what he thought of facebooks live streaming after seeing a vid of someone shooting an old man in the face & streaming it live.
He told me he had worked for google & was not keen on them Microsoft or Apple as they only though $
He made his millions & retired in his 30s giving most of his $ to family\friends but kept $3 million to travel & meet “real people like you”
So I asked what he thought of the gun laws in the US as some were saying if the old guy had a gun he may have been able to protect himself.
He told me he grew up in “the projects” & one night he along with his brother & another guy went out for a few drinks then got a cab home.
The driver warned them to behave & was told not to worry as they were going home after drinks & were all happy.
He’s brother then reached into his pocket to get his wallet out & the driver shot him four times twice in the chest & twice in the head.
Last thing he remembered before going into shock was his brother laying in his lap bleeding from the mouth & nose.
Shooter got life =no winners
We met up with Johnnymac at the Northern that night still have a pick on my phone of him & an ugly old bloke with a grey beard??
Got lost on the way home thinking I was going to the place I had been staying for the last decade then took a wrong turn toward the bf sight.......it was a loooong night!

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
regards
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 2:48:02 PM

waffles wrote:

I have been close a number of times and missed things by minutes, but have never seen guns blazing.

Although I have seen the after panic

In 2002 I worked at the Salt Lake winter Olympics and witnessed that most full on security, due to the fact that it was not that long after September 11.

I thought then and now, that they need to apply so much money and thought to their own every day problems in regard to Gun Culture.
regards
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 2:53:57 PM

repete wrote:
I assume you'll be at the Ponderosa Stomp?? Roky Erikson's show should be a hoot - he was fabulous in 2007 and it's great he's still going!!

I am still deciding on the Stomp, not that happy with the new location, and I have another Function I have to go to tomorrow night.

My Saturday plans are now up in the air, no pun intended as there is a big storm heading our way
repete
Posted: Saturday, October 07, 2017 5:59:20 PM

regards wrote:
repete wrote:

I am still deciding on the Stomp, not that happy with the new location, and I have another Function I have to go to tomorrow night.

My Saturday plans are now up in the air, no pun intended as there is a big storm heading our way

Take care riding out this storm. I see a curfew has been called...not that you would want to go out anyway. Hopefully it will blow over without too much damage.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 3:19:54 AM

The last week has been interesting with the storms and everything

Last Wednesday we saw the excellent blues guitar player Johnathan Boogie Long on a fine night by the river, and he was good as usual. They are a power trio and are well worth seeing.

Thursday it was Jazz In The Park featuring the soul review of the always entertaining Michael Soul Man Baptiste and we then headed to Rock n Bowl for Zydeco night.

Friday we were on hurricane alert but it was a still day. It was weird to see a packed supermarket in the middle of the day, with stuff like bottled water selling out.

We got our supplies, to be safe, and that night we went to the Oktoberfest put on by the Deutsch House. I was drinking assorted German dark beers in a 33 ounce stein for 8 bucks a pop.

The music was a local funk band trying to do some German beer fest music, which sort of worked, but we enjoyed the beer. And the night was beautiful, which was weird.

Saturday we were on major storm alert with a 7 pm curfew that you were meant to adhere to. I ended up at B Macs in the Quarter at a going away party which also morphed in to a storm party. Small storm fronts would come through and it would piss down for 5 minutes and then stop again and the wind would drop. They were predicting 85 MPH winds but they did not end up coming. I headed home about 6 so as to get the street car before they stopped, but I missed the last one and walked home, in only a light wind, but on very quite streets. And then the storm turned away from Nola, and we got some rain and wind overnight. But it was mild and they lifted the curfew at 8.30. But sadly a lot of things had been cancelled in advance, due to the forecast and curfew. The stomp got cut back a bit, my friends told me.

Sunday with not much happening due to the aforementioned cancellations, we went on a pub crawl with about a dozen friends to celebrate the storm missing us, this was good fun, but I discovered I am out of touch on the pool table.

Monday was Alex Macmurrray at Chickie Wah wah and his guest this week was an excellent guitar played from Miss State called Cary Hudson who was on a band many moons ago with one of the Wilco guys, so one of my friends told me. This was a very good night with fine songs and top guitar playing.

Yesterday was a weird day. I got 2 flats on the pushie in one day, and then when I got to 30/90 for happy hour they had run out Oysters. So I had to make do with $2.50, 15 ounce beers and 50 cent wings. I watched the whole set of the Bayou Saints and they really are very good with some fine songs, and cool vocals from Arsene Delay, and the rest of them also play very well.
That brings us up to date. This weekend we have the big problem of Voice Of The Wetlands and the Blues And BBQ Festival being on at the one time.

We are choosing Blues and BBQ because it is only a 20 minute street car ride away. But it will be a bummer to miss VOW after many years, as they have great music and it is a very worthy cause. Tonight we have Johnny Sansone playing at the point by the river which will good and it is beautiful day. So some pushie riding beckons.

TBC
Regards
Flegal08
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 10:42:10 AM

Jealous? Yes I am. Always look forward to your posts, please keep them coming

The wife an I are planning a trip to the USA, next year or maybe the year after.
Taking in San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Memphis, New Orleans, Miami and finishing off hopefully in Cuba.

Just trying to fit in as much music and festivals as we can is going to be the hard part.

Will I never know silence without mental violence?
regards
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:22:52 AM

Well the last few days have we have finally had some cooler weather and I had to wear a long sleeve T shirt yesterday morning which seemed strange.

Johnny Sansone was very good in excellent conditions by the river last Wednesday,he and band would be a good fit at BluesFest with his mix of harp and accordion playing and some fine new songs.
Thursday it was the low key local band night at Tips so we skipped Jazz In The Park and Zydeco night at Rock N Bowl and went and watched a friends band called Black Laurel play they are good rocking outfit who sounded cool on the good sound system and have been practicing hard since I last saw them as they were tight. It was a good night and we had a few people around for drinks etc prior, as Tips is not far from girlfriends place.

Friday night was the start of Blues and BBQ so we saw local Bluesman Luther with his big band and they played and sounded very well then it was the always good Deacon John and small orchestra and they put on a fine tune, it is always a delight to see Deacon put down the conducting Baton, strap on the guitar and play dust My Broom and then very soon be singing Many Rivers To Cross. Very good.

Saturday was a sunny warm day. We got there about 11.30 after the normal street car fun and games and saw the second half of King Edward and older Bluesman and guitar/vocalist who was cool and his 2nd guitar man was very good and sung well also it was mighty Blues start. Then it was Guitar Lightning Lee who was OK but the mix was very muddy, so we decided to get some BBQ stuff for breakfast which was tasty.

Next was Louis Gearshifter YoungBlood who put on some fine Blues.

Then it was Samantha Fish who was good I enjoyed it more than last time and she played real well, some of my mates enjoyed the hot pants also.

Next was a youngish guitar player A J Ghent who went over well.

Then it was John Mooney who had a crack band including Raymond Webber on drums, we heard some great playing, from John and band, and really enjoyed the set.

Next it was Grady champion and band who all played well Grady is a fine harp player, but we found his voice grated a bit

Saturday finished off with Robert Cray and he put on his normal polished performance with fine playing, but I always seem to want him to rock it out a bit more.

I now have to go and assist with some work stuff, so this will be continued soon.

Regards
bambambam
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:52:15 PM

Thanks again Regards

Always enjoy reading these trip updates.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
regards
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 2:36:12 AM

Sunday at Blues and BBQ was a good one.

I was there early at 10.45 due to the Mrs staying at home to watch the saints game that started at noon.

Started off with some excellent Rockin Blues from the fortifiers.

Then it was local singer songwriter Andrew Duhon who is not really Blues but is fine although I found him a bit mellow, and he would be better in a club.

Next up was the New Soul finders put together by Marc Stone, which featuring Marilyn Barbarin who used to sing with Eddie Bo, unfortunately rain caused some problems but the band kept on and played and sounded good and put a new touches on some classic older stuff went over well considering the rain.

Thankfully the rain went away and we then saw the Como Mamas doing some trad gospel they sounded fine but did not fire up like some of the bigger gospel groups do, and were putting our tired selves to sleep. They would have been better off starting first, as it was a Sunday.

Little Freddy King was up next and he and band put out there normal good rolling at times nearly hypnotic blues stomp and went over very well.

The crowd had finally picked up a bit with the weather behaving and people coming in after the Saints mighty win. And we watched a veteran soul blues singer Robert Finley who sang very well and had a good stage presence.

Next up was local legend Walter Wolfman Washington with the big band and they put on their normal good time, well played blues and roots show and Walter was good on the axe as always.

The weekend finished off with Bobby Rush who was good and very funny as always but I had seen him fairly recently and a few times before so you get used to the show, which I still enjoyed and was laughing along, and he went over well/

It was a great weekend at Blues and BBQ and the fact it is free is great, and the food is good and well priced as are the beers, so I was told. I will be back for this again. Just hope that next year it is not the same weekend as VOW.

On Monday I got my tired self down to DBA for online legend Swags birthday and we saw a polished set from John Boute, but he can be a pain in the arse at times with his moaning, but that is John and you know that is what you get, he is a fine singer that's for sure. I then stayed around for Funk Monkey a band put together by one of the Bonerama guys and they played some great rocking funk stuff and had some very good players in the band, especially the sax man and were well worth staying around for.

Tuesday I was battling but a ride to the lake got me going and we headed to 30/90 a bit later for our fix of Oysters and wings and once again enjoyed the Bayou Saints.

The weather has been much cooler the last few days but it was nice arvo so we headed across to Wednesday on The Point, and saw a couple of local acts, first was Darcy Malone and the Tangle who were OK but we never find them inspiring like others do.
Next up was Amanda Shaw who is a very polished fiddle player and a good entertainer, but most of us never seem to enjoy her singing, which is a bummer as we have been seeing her since she was a kid. It was still a fun show in a great setting by the river, with the Nola skyline as a sideshow over the other side of the river.

That brings us up to date and I am battling today. Hopefully a good lunch and a ride to the river will spark me up in time for this evening and nights fun and games.

TBC

Regards
regards
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 8:51:03 AM

Well all good things must come to an end and sadly I had to leave Nola and my girlfriend behind last Tuesday and head home.
And then to make things worse Fats Domino passed away that day. Oh well its back to the real world for a while.

My last few days were interesting and different because I had to go to Houston for a day via a big county fair in rural Louisiana.

Last Thursday we saw a great show by Corey Henry and the Treme Funktet in Armstrong Park. He and band featuring Juan Yamaguchi on guitar were in fine form and were joined for 2 songs by Cyril Neville and later by James Andrews which just made things better. This band are very good and would be a fine add for BluesFest.

Friday we grabbed a hire car and headed out to a big county fair at Franklinton to see Lisas brothers band called Little Texas play, they are a country rock band who had a couple of hits back in the day. They played well and went over a hit with the crowd. It was an interesting mix in the crowd which kept me amused and it was a big fair, but I could not find a bar, which was strange. Luckily the drummer had plenty of beer on the tour bus. We then drove off towards Houston and stopped in Lafayette overnight, only to be greeted by some Fawlty Towers like antics as we tried to check in to a hotel, including being given keys to a room, that already had people in it. And then be woken very early by some kids carrying on, oh well.

WE then headed down many a freeway to Houston where we going to see meet Lisas siblings and watch her sister renew her marriage vows at massive renaissance festival a bit out of Houston. We all had to dress up, and I was in a friar tuck outfit, which luckily I could roll up, because it was bloody hot. The Festival was massive with lots of lookalike old style European buildings and displays and many a bar and beer garden. Which was important in the heat. There is a big jousting arena and much other stuff. Anyway the day was fun and there was some decent folk music around, and I didn't disgrace myself in front of the family. There was a very good fire dancing/acrobatic display in the arena at the end.

The next day we were up at Sparrows to fly back to Nola, and with out much mucking around we were at a friends bar by noon to watch the Mighty Saints win their 4th in a row after their dismal start to the season. There was a good krewe here as some had come to celebrate getting rid of me in a couple of days, and there was a pig roast and raffles to raise money for the family of as recently killed police officer. It was very sad when some of his fellow officers got up and spoke. After much carrying on after the Saints win, we went down to far end of the Quarter to DBA to watch a pick up band of local music industry types play reggae versions of old pop songs which was very funny and well played, but delirium started settling in, and we bailed early for a much needed early night.
Monday it was time to start packing and buy some local music and we headed out after happy hour oysters to Chickie Wah Wah to watch Alex Macmurray solo. He is a very good guitar player with stack of songs that vary greatly many with good local colour involved in them. It was a cool last night, but a bit sad later on, as I said see you later to a couple of close friends.

So that's it I luckily had spare seats next to me on the bloody long flight from DFW to Sydney on Tuesday/Wednesday

I had a great time once again and I plan to back at the same time next year with luck, and have already secured an excellent advance flight deal for JazzFest next year.

It is an fine time of year to visit Nola and stacks of the events I went to were either free or very cheap.

If anyone is ever in Nola when I am there I will be happy to play tour guide if possible.

Now I have to try and adjust back to reality. Which is always hard.

Stay well.

Regards