Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Helping flood victims Options
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:18:05 PM
Groups: Member

My heart goes out to the Qlders affected by this devastating flood.

Many artists helped Victoria during the fires a couple of years ago - I hope we see the same spirit for the flood victims.

I'd appreciate any advice on the best avenue for donating a) goods and b) cash. In the past, I'm not sure the goods donated I have reached the right people (I know for a fact that some are still sitting in a shed).

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:46:39 PM
Groups: Guest

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html
At this time, the Queensland Government is inviting financial donations only. Unfortunately this appeal cannot accept donations of goods or services.

Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:44:43 PM

I had family in Murphy's Creek missing for about a day and a half. Accounted for now. Needless to say it was probably the worst day and a half of my life.

Dig deep, people. I know I will.

The poster formerly known as Dan
mpember
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:36:02 PM

curlyloc wrote:
I'd appreciate any advice on the best avenue for donating a) goods

Always check with the organisation you are donating to. Many relief organisations have partnerships in place that mean they can probably source items such as blankets for less than the cost of transporting them from a collection centre. The same can sometimes be said for non-perishable food items.

Cash makes the world go round and this is just as true for charities.

The best thing to do is to check the website of the charity you are looking to donate to.
distinctlyme
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:00:56 PM
Groups: Guest

After spending the last 5 days helping with the clean up and seeing the total devestation these floods have caused I really hope people dig deep.

So many people and businesses have lost everything they have. On top of this most are not covered by their insurance due to the nature of the flooding or because of the location of their property.

If you CAN give something please do because people really are relying on our donations to put their lives back together!

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

heatherblack1
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 6:06:52 AM

as well as donating to qld govt flood appeal I sent a huge coles online shop to a lady who appealed on nth coast radio for help for murphy's creek.she and her husband bought a caravan and towed it up there to give to a family.As she is local born n bred there she can thoughtfully deliver goods and will be travelling regularly to assist-contact ABC for details.THINK CREATIVELY.
I also packed a wheelie travel bag with curvaceous ladies clothing-hard to get from vinnies and put it on NBN website.Had 2 replies and was able to connect and post via AUST POST.I am not bragging I just want to say there are alternatives.If things are still in a shed that seems a shame but maybe weren't needed.The agencies are saying NO MORE CLOTHES because they've got nowhere to put them and people who have no wardrobe/drawers etc can only cope with a bagful til they get somewhere to stay permanently.
keep an eye out for nthn NSW too.lateral thinking and googling is the secret
heatherblack1
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 6:22:26 AM

just did quick search and want to add that VARIETY children's charity have also set up a flood fund.
heatherblack1
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:34:51 AM

on reading the byron shire ECHO i discovered a new local group being set up to adopt a town affected by floods within 2 hours of Byron.they are appealing for helpers and goods-think it was page 2