Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

BLUESFEST SEEKING 6TH DAY FOR 2011 Options
marc68
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 7:29:52 PM
Groups: Member

Read it in the Northern Star Newspaper today that the organisers have lodged a DA with Byron Council for a 6th Day next year, ie Tuesday. Does this mean that they will move Monday artists (Dylan) to close the festival on Tuesday ???? I know they say when you buy tickets that playing schedules are not final but this would suck for those that cannot afford to pay for 5 (or 6) days, and help sell out Monday in record time. Most regular Blues festers I spoke to before this report had liked the idea of a day off after the Monday. They could go hard till the end, not leave early as had in the past, then cruise home Tuesday.
Anyone got anything to add?
oldbilly1
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 9:42:28 PM

Doubt the application is in relation to the public performance aspect of the fest...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 10:28:50 PM

It is not logical that there would be musical performances on the Tuesday.

I would suggest to you that the application might relate to the fact that when you are dealing with a physical infrastructure such as we have for Bluesfest,it does take a considerable amount of time and effort to conclude matters...ie once the music ends on Monday night,that is not the end for the Bluesfest team,or for those camping on site.

By way of example,I have had considerable involvment with the administration of events catering for runners,walkers and cyclists on public roads.

Council requirements in this country historically were casual in regard to such matters,but the formalities required in terms of demonstrated governance are now so extensive that some such events are no longer held.

Applications to hold such events must not only cover the actual time in which participants are on the course,but the time involved to deal with setting out and removing the infrastructure.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:35:16 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

By way of example,I have had considerable involvment with the administration of events catering for runners,walkers and cyclists on public roads.

Council requirements in this country historically were casual in regard to such matters,but the formalities required in terms of demonstrated governance are now so extensive that some such events are no longer held.

So Patrick your suggesting a Kiwi road race from Belongil to Byron and back
I'm suggesting a Jack Johnson and friends extravaganza.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:54:00 AM

not sure,but i think that application would be for 2012. dont take everything you read in the NORTHERN SCAR as gospel.theyre not too reliable on details.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
marc68
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:53:05 AM

waffles wrote:
not sure,but i think that application would be for 2012. dont take everything you read in the NORTHERN SCAR as gospel.theyre not too reliable on details.

The application is for 2011, as Tuesday is a Public Holiday. As for packing up after the festival, that's a given already. They would not be applying for a DA to 'pack up or pull down' the infrastructure on Tuesday as it takes a lot longer than that. Maybe someone from The Bluesfest Organisation can make a post or comment on the DA before Council, and what they are asking for.
puki77
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 10:59:25 AM

That's a pretty kind assessment of The Northern Star..

You think Peter Noble is gonna tell hordes of baby-boomers: "oh yeah; about that ticket you all got to see Dylan- just kidding, haha"?

Also, this one time, I asked my parents about Santa..
marc68
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 12:04:38 PM

Byron Council DA 352/2008 Advertised 2/12/2010
Dan...
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 1:05:40 PM

Type of Work: Increase the 2011 event to a 6 day festival and to alter the approved event and camping layout (East Coast Blues Festival)
Applicant: East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival Pty Ltd
Certifier: Byron Shire Council
Application No.352/2008
Date Lodged: 10/11/2010
Cost of Work: $0.00

Well this is perplexing to say the least.

The poster formerly known as Dan
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 1:43:04 PM

I note from the Bluesfest site that Tuesday is a public holiday except NT and Qld.
Given its geographical location,I would expect that there would be a sizeable number of people from Qld at the festival.

The 2011 Festival is clearly advertised as being for five days,and ticket sales cover a five day period only.

The routine attendance on a Monday is considerably less than the preceeding three days,so what would it be on a Tuesday.

The Bluesfest Team work all year to present this event,and a decision to tack on an extra day would not be made at this late stage.

If the intention was to extend it to six days,this would not happen until the 2012 Festival.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 2:19:57 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

The Bluesfest Team work all year to present this event,and a decision to tack on an extra day would not be made at this late stage.

If the intention was to extend it to six days,this would not happen until the 2012 Festival.

I first raised the extra day back in July 13th. The deep north has fallen into line and Tuesday is now also a Public Holiday.
Hence my suggestion of a Stand Alone Extravaganza, a separate ticket required

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Dan...
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 2:57:55 PM

greybeard wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

I first raised the extra day back in July 13th. The deep north has fallen into line and Tuesday is now also a Public Holiday.
Hence my suggestion of a Stand Alone Extravaganza, a separate ticket required

certainly possible.

patrick, i'm not sure if you read that development application, they have applied for the sixth day for 2011 only. my experience in this field is minimal, but i'd imagine there would be little point in them doing so if they were not looking to expand until 2012.

The poster formerly known as Dan
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 3:07:34 PM

Hi Dan & Greybeard,

No I have not read the application,but will attempt to source it.

Fortunately our airfares for 2011 are booked to return on the Thursday rather than the Tuesday,so we could attend for a further day.

RaucousReg
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 9:14:12 PM

Shades of Greedfest????

namaste
RR
youngbill
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 9:47:42 AM
Groups: Guest

I'm assuming the extra day will be for a mass love in, it makes sense when you think about it.

Maybe it's due to the abnormally huge lineup topped off by Bob monday so they're going for the extra day for people to trickle out over two days? Maybe the extra day is for people to exit the carpark. Chuckle.

I was camping at the refined end of town last year (as one does) and the previously empty camping space (to the south?) could be filled by a couple of hundred more happy campers. By then the whole place would be pretty cosy.

Of course the smart money is on the love in, which is what I'm going to do on the tuesday regardless of what the man says I can or can't do. Take that!

It only takes one to start it and I've got plenty of love to go around.
curlyloc
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 12:44:50 PM

YB is simply ON FIRE lately!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
gerardf
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 1:12:20 PM

Hmmmmm, ................... another BIG name to be announced?

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
youngbill
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 3:34:34 PM
Groups: Guest

Since you mention it, I do still have a little free time in my calendar that day so who knows.......

You would need to speak to my people and so on but I'm not completely against the idea.
richo
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 8:37:42 AM

An encore performance of the Monday schedule given that it sold out quite quickly? Or maybe just a headline show from Dylan with a few support acts? Sell 5,000 odd tickets and make it a comparatively intimate affair...

I can't imagine extending the festival an entire day with all new headliners and other artists etc. as that would be contingent on selling 15-20,000 tickets to a select group of people that have already budgeted and booked based on a 5-day festival. I mean for those of us that are fortunate to have accommodation for a few days after the festival it would work, but we've all seen the traffic come Tuesday morning... most are on their way back home, and I don't think the extra public holiday would have changed many people's travel plans.
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 10:14:50 AM

Didn't they do an extra one off pay extra show once before, I think it was for Ben Harper when the festival was at Red Devil?
I have a faint recollection of this but short term memory problems mean I just forgot what I wrote in the previous sentence, let alone years ago.