Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

2010 Bluesfest lacked vibe Options
cundy
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:03:09 AM
Groups: Member

i was disappointed at the vibe and atmosphere at this years festival (2010). it seems that the move to tyagarah really changed the whole bluesfest experience. i have been to 5 bluesfests and this years (2010) was my least enjoyable. i share these thoughts with my friends who also attended. we had a crew of about 15 this particular year. a couple of things that really put a damper on the 5 days:
- the main entrance where a majority of punters entered the festival.. theres a small and narrow bridge that you must walk over. this bridge is patrolled by around 4-5 trolls (policeman) with sniffer dogs. these police were stopping people constantly throughout the entire festival. so if your thinking about bringing in a couple of spliffs to enjoy while listening to some wonderful music (which is a part of the bluesfest experience, or at least used to be), be prepared to take the risk.
- be prepared to wait hours (yes, hours.. im not exaggerating this) after you leave the festival every night, for a bus that takes you wherever it is your staying, as tyagarah is about 13 kms out of byron.. a lot longer wait on the weekend nights! unless of course your camping at the festival.

does anyone else have the same thoughts about the festivals move to tyagarah? im glad i was able to experience the festival at belongil and red devil park because unfortunately im not sure if bluesfest will ever be the same as those days.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:31:59 AM

my feelings are exactly the opposite.i think the move to tyagarah is great for the future of the festival.red devil park was way too crowded and belongil fields didnt handle the wet.
both these venues were leased ,so bluesfest had little control over improvements.this was tthe first year at tyagarah,so there were bound to be teething problems. bluesfest owning
tyagarah,can and no doubt will improve on any problems. i thought the standard of music,food and amenities at 2010 was great ,and ive been to EVERY bluesfest. sure there were some problems ,but every music festival has those.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
dtucker
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:02:09 AM

cundy wrote:
i was disappointed at the vibe and atmosphere at this years festival (2010). it seems that the move to tyagarah really changed the whole bluesfest experience. i have been to 5 bluesfests and this years (2010) was my least enjoyable.

I can't say I agree. I think as far the facilities go 2010 was the best bluesfest of the 8 that I've been to. The extra space and the ability to get away from the crowd for a while and sit down on some grass make this site so much more friendly than Red Devil park was, especially getting towards the end of five long days. There's certainly still some room for improvement though. Splendour this year coped with even bigger crowds than the BF and was much more comfortable, especially because of the hill where you could sit on the grass and still see into the GW McLennan tent and the amphitheatre where 10000 (I'm guessing here) people could sit down and still get a great view of the stage and a huge amount of sitting space in the food areas. I really think that the BF organisers could learn some things from Woodford.

I guess I'm too old and respectable looking but I've never been harrassed by a sniffer dog at BF and didn't actually notice any this year - I probably just had tunnel vision trying to get inside as quickly as possible, once I can hear the music I'm straining at the leash to get in.

Atmosphere and vibe are a bit harder to compare though because that depends on so many things that are impossible to measure and is very personal but I reckon that the vibe in Fat Freddy's Drop this year was the equal of any that I've seen at Bluefest ever. The tent was full, not a chair in site and the whole crowd was dancing - magic.
ScottM
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 8:48:46 AM

I didn't notice a lack of vibe. Might have been because I was enjoying my favourite of the 7 bluesfests I've been to. Tell me there wasn't an electric atmosphere in the Crossroads tent for Gipsy Kings? I thought the roof was going to come off the tent from where I was standing - about a third of the way from the front.

I think a permanent site will let it get better each year - see Woodford and Meredith
hopciti
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:04:19 PM

Double ditto for the atmosphere in Crossroads for the Gypsy Kings, it seemed the whole tent was dancing like they hadn't danced before, definately one of the 2010 highlights.

Would be nice to start seeing some proper toilet\shower blocks etc. Perhaps the site should be used for another big festival throughout the year to help fund the building of facilities? There is probably room in the Australian calender for a big Jazz festival?