Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Those damn Chairs again. Options
colinsid
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 12:51:55 PM
Groups: Member

With the 1st announcement & all I thought I would revisit a problem that was totally out of control at last years festival & hpopefully bluesfest admin will take note.

In both Jambalaya & Crossroads it was bordering on dangerous. Not to mention the amount of extra space it takes up.
Jambalaya was especially bad with chair people deciding that they could have a solid block of chairs extending all the way to the stands on the sides & only just having enough space to walk between the stands & the chairs. At the stage end the chairs were up to the 1st column before the stage, which was only 3-4metres from the front of the stage. When I & some other people tried to stand amoungst the chairs we were abused, one person was threatened when he moved some empty chairs out of the way. Crossroads had similar problems.

I have several problems with the chairs

1. It is an OH&S issue in that if the tents were evacuated people would be injured trying to get past the chairs. With the exit signs on open tents there must be a risk assesment carried out so chairs should be also taken into account as a major OH&S hazard.
2. A chair with a person sitting or standing in front takes up the area of 2-3 people, so why not charge people 2-3 normal price to bring in there seats.

I understand that some people have trouble standing for long periods but it is about properly pacing yourself & sitting in chairs provided to rest when you can. I am not fit & am overweight & while my feet hurt I jsut deal with it.

There that's my say on this subject.

See my othercomplaint forum on Utubers

Maccain09
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 7:20:51 PM

There needs to access to both sides of the crossroads or there will be issues especially as this year will be busier than last !! Last year was not comfortable!
Always28
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 9:19:35 AM

I'm with you Colin, me and Mrs A 28 are a bit past our 20's (well past in fact). We take 2 small foldup stools that we rest our tired bums on between acts and fold up when the music starts. I get really fed up with people who think they can camp out in a spot, leave it for hours to wander around and come back when they need to see an act. Who knows they may have a set of chairs in every tent. As for trying to walk through a camp site of lazy buggers to try and find the wife after going for a leak it's bloody near impossible.
E.K
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:33:41 AM

Agree about the chairs taking up all the space and being an OH&S hazard.

This year we (all aged in our 40s) took a waterproof picnic blanket and sat on that when our legs got a bit tired.
mindsy
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:39:08 PM
Groups: Guest

Perhaps only the back 1/3 of the tents should be allowed chairs during the day, and maybe after 6 pm, no chairs allowed inside the tents at all.

Also there should be a rule on people setting up the chairs on the grandstand seating as well, for space & safety.
donaldhp
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 9:20:31 PM

And maybe security should look more closely at those selfish people nicking the chairs from the eating areas !
Cheers, Don
dtucker
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:39:46 AM

mindsy wrote:
Also there should be a rule on people setting up the chairs on the grandstand seating as well, for space & safety.

donaldhp wrote:
And maybe security should look more closely at those selfish people nicking the chairs from the eating areas !
Cheers, Don

These last two messages completely sum up two of the real annoyances at bluesfest. We all need to sit down sometimes. Two good opportunities are the food areas and the seating in Jambalaya but when you go to jambalaya 30 minutes before the acts starts to try and get a seat, it's very annoying to see the seating filled with chairs and the owners nowhere in sight. Likekwise when you go to the food area and half the tables have no chairs left at them. Even worse still is when you do actually get a seat in the stands and then some bastards park their chairs on the stands between you and the stage so you can't see. I feel like going and standing in from of them but am too polite (chicken actually).

It should come down to consideration for others but if it doesn't come naturally to some people then perhaps some strictly enforced regulations are necessary.

mindsy
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:02:34 PM

dtucker wrote:
mindsy wrote:

donaldhp wrote:
Cheers, Don

These last two messages completely sum up two of the real annoyances at bluesfest. We all need to sit down sometimes. Two good opportunities are the food areas and the seating in Jambalaya but when you go to jambalaya 30 minutes before the acts starts to try and get a seat, it's very annoying to see the seating filled with chairs and the owners nowhere in sight. Likekwise when you go to the food area and half the tables have no chairs left at them. Even worse still is when you do actually get a seat in the stands and then some bastards park their chairs on the stands between you and the stage so you can't see. I feel like going and standing in from of them but am too polite (chicken actually).

It should come down to consideration for others but if it doesn't come naturally to some people then perhaps some strictly enforced regulations are necessary.

Absolutely, the best thing Bluesfest has done in recent years was the introduction of the undercover dining tent.

But the worst thing about that was the selfish people who take the chairs from the food halls for better viewing during a show.

Maybe the dining area seats, need to be bolted to the floor of the food halls
CaptainVic2
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:15:45 PM

I must say, I love my chair! However, I do agree with all of the comments above. The chairs really begin to be a problem after around 6pm when things really start to fill up and it gets dark. Perhaps, all chairs after 5 pm must go in a designated chair area behind the sound board? The difficult thing is getting someone to enforce it. I guess you really couldn't ask the volunteers to do it, although most people would adhere to this I think.
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:56:03 PM

Gee you people have some poor judgment
It is clearly inappropriate that the chairs are sited behind the mixing desk or anywhere else other than UP FRONT
Chair-people are the life and sole of Bluesfest, and when seated ( and not forced to stand by inconsiderate people who charge in half-way through each show and push their way (in the dark) to the front) offer no obstruction to the people who assemble in their correct place AT THE BACK. How could anyone could think the reverse is logical ?

Think of the chairs as a minefield, and its only the gene pool's bottom dwellers who venture into it.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
littlewillie
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:24:08 PM

That does actually make some sense elbeardo , but doesn't address the problem of people wandering off and leaving their chairs to bar their place which doesn't seem fair.
Blankets are a damn minefield in the dark too.
shezza
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 1:33:54 PM

The easiest thing would be to say, once it is dark, no more chairs. It is a hazard, they cant always be seen. I had a bad stack last year falling over a chair in the dark and then had the guy abuse the crap out of me. Not very cool.
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:57:25 PM

From Bluesfest email 24/5/11
"Another major talking point this year concerned the number of fold-up chairs being brought in ... with arguments both for and against, this is one issue that we definitely need to address for next year."

YEH about time.

In BB King I was up yowards the back standing amongst chairs. There were 3 chairs in a row vacant for most of gig until other people folded & put them aside so they could stand. (There was also someone who was asleep in chair for most of the gig as well)

Please use this forum for suggestions (I favour both capital & corporal punishment for offenders)