Groups: Member

humanracin wrote:
Hope she does a Brisbane show :)

bit worried about the fact it says it's an 'australian exclusive'

The poster formerly known as Dan
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 4:58:44 PM
Groups: Guest

Didn't notice that, I don't understand why these artists don't do proper nation wide tours when they only come here once every ten years!
Anyway just heard Sufjan Stevens is playing Brisbane at least...
finleym
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 5:05:28 PM

Very happy with Sydney Festival again. And all for free!!

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:33:26 PM

humanracin wrote:

Didn't notice that, I don't understand why these artists don't do proper nation wide tours when they only come here once every ten years!

The Sydney Festival spend a squillion of tax payers dollars as a SYDNEY tourist promotion
A bit pointless if the featured artist then goes and tours the country
I see no reason for complaint !

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:42:01 PM

Ms Harris ISN"T for free
Summer Sounds in The Domain: Los Lobos

is the free First Night Concert

http://www.sydneyfestival.org.au/2011/Free/Summer-Sounds-in-The-Domain-Los-Lobos/

Addendum: Sorry folks, looks like I'm incorrect above and following
Looks like its TWO Concerts
Wish I was wrong more often
Young Bill will you have a picknic basket this year?

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:05:13 PM

Huston they have a PROBLEM

I have an email which reads
Quote:
Festival First Night once again takes over our city's streets, with Emmylou Harris and her Red Dirt Boys in The Domain, Arrested Development in Martin Place and hundreds of artists anywhere and everywhere between. We continue the free fun with the Tex-Mex sounds of Los Lobos at Summer Sounds in The Domain and Midsummer Shakespeare at Symphony in The Domain. And The Domain’s not the only place for big free events, with Festival Inside Out bringing music and dance under the stars in Parramatta and Penrith.

So we'll take it that it is in fact a double headline show

wildthing
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:24:49 PM

A lot of music I would like to see for The Festival of Sydney eg Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, The Dynamites and Los Lobos. Would be to-ing and frow-ing a little tho. Becks Festival Bar is a good night out.
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:38:58 AM

I'd read it as Emmylou on opening night (following a tribute show to Ruby Hunter), with The Wolves to follow on a later weekend at another of the free shows in the Domain.

Solid lineup as usual from Sydney Festival, though didn't grab me quite as much as the last couple of years. Still would have sent me broke......
humanracin
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:42:18 AM
Groups: Guest

greybeard wrote:
humanracin wrote:

The Sydney Festival spend a squillion of tax payers dollars as a SYDNEY tourist promotion

Fair enough, but the festival is spread out over 3-4 weeks, and I am indeed visiting Sydney to see one of my friends who is performing for the festival late in the program.
Not everyone can afford to fly back and forth interstate for gigs, I fly down to Sydney every year for at least 1 show for this festival.
You dont need to get your beard in a knot, I just think it would be nice for Emmylou's fans in other parts of the country who may not be able to attend the Sydney shows.
Al Green was the "featured artist" last year and he toured the country...
richo
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:35:14 AM

I saw Emmylou Harris sing harmonies/duets with Elvis Costello a few weeks ago at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit. Nothing really struck me about the performance. Granted they weren't her songs and it was Costello's limelight, but it left me with all the Emmylou I think I need for a while.
mark123
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:40:01 PM

humanracin wrote:
greybeard wrote:
humanracin wrote:

Fair enough, but the festival is spread out over 3-4 weeks, and I am indeed visiting Sydney to see one of my friends who is performing for the festival late in the program.
Not everyone can afford to fly back and forth interstate for gigs, I fly down to Sydney every year for at least 1 show for this festival.
You dont need to get your beard in a knot, I just think it would be nice for Emmylou's fans in other parts of the country who may not be able to attend the Sydney shows.
Al Green was the "featured artist" last year and he toured the country...

I'm with you Humanracin. I live in Melbourne, have never seen Emmylou live but would love to. As you say, if they come all this way why shouldn't they tour the country...its ridiculous as this festival is the only time artists seem to come here but not tour all over. I remember Beth Orton did the same a few years ago. Does this mean if an artist comes here for Womadelaide then only SA people or very wealthy people should see the artist. I"m assuming there is a fair amount of taxpayer dollars poured into that little festival.

The logic that the Sydney festival pay all this money to bring them over so they shouldn't share their artists with the rest of the country sounds to me like a bit of a selfish statement. Furthermore...if the artist is able to tour the rest of the country and make a few more $$$ on their trip down under then one would assume the amount of money they would charge to the Sydney Festival to bring them out would be less.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:00:29 PM

Greatest disappointment for the rest of the country I think would have to have been The Dirty Dozen, Terrance Simian and The Preservation Hall Jazz, loved their free First Night and the two separate shows

Lou Reeds Berlin was sublime too, and tickets trebled in price if anyone was silly enough to part with them
The list is extensive, nothing to do with me.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
"if you don't live in Sydney you're just camping out"
Paul Keating

mark123
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:09:01 PM

That was the other one I couldn't remember - Lou Reed performing Berlin....can't believe he didn't tour that show around Aus.

Did like your Paul Keating quote :)
repete
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:53:24 PM

greybeard wrote:
[size=7]Greatest disappointment for the rest of the country I think would have to have been The Dirty Dozen, Terrance Simian and The Preservation Hall Jazz, loved their free First Night and the two separate shows

Yeah...thanks for the reminder GB

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:11:28 AM

mark123 wrote:

I'm with you Humanracin. I live in Melbourne, have never seen Emmylou live but would love to. As you say, if they come all this way why shouldn't they tour the country...its ridiculous as this festival is the only time artists seem to come here but not tour all over. I remember Beth Orton did the same a few years ago. Does this mean if an artist comes here for Womadelaide then only SA people or very wealthy people should see the artist. I"m assuming there is a fair amount of taxpayer dollars poured into that little festival.

The logic that the Sydney festival pay all this money to bring them over so they shouldn't share their artists with the rest of the country sounds to me like a bit of a selfish statement. Furthermore...if the artist is able to tour the rest of the country and make a few more $$$ on their trip down under then one would assume the amount of money they would charge to the Sydney Festival to bring them out would be less.

Hey, by all means be disappointed, but I don't think that "ridiculous" is the right word. Shame, yes. But how and where an artist is promoted is surely to be left at the discretion of the one paying the bill. If they can make it worth the while of the artist, then it's their business. It would seemingly make the event more economically viable to somehow share the burden of the artists' bills with a national tour, but part of the price is no doubt a part of making Sydney seem even more "exclusive" in an Australian context. And Melbourne do pretty well on exclusives (at least, if you're a sporting fan).

But yes, it would be a bummer for you as a fan.
mgwfall
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 8:42:00 PM

Have 2 spare tickets to Emmylou's State Theatre show on Sunday 9th for sale (face value of course, so includes multi ticket discount).

Stalls row L

Please pm if any interest.

ScottM
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 7:18:24 AM

Anybody have any reports? Whether from the first night freebie or the first sideshow?

Who was in the band?
greybeard
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 9:36:37 PM

The First Night was a great show all round, but spoiled by about a third of the crowd that were totally uninterested in the proceedings ~ be it the preceding tribute to Ruby Hunter with a stellar Aussie lineup or EmmyLou
One day I'll hire some bikie thugs to thump p*icks who talk constantly. One day.

Sure the State shows would be brilliant, didn't note who the Red Dirt Boys were but well suited to Emmylou

Wikipedia suggests
In 2010, Harris regrouped with the latest version of the Red Dirt Boys: Madeira, Owings, Donohue, and Simpkins for Lilith Fair summer dates and a scheduled US autumn tour.

Thinking the Wolves will be better suited to silence a large crowd

mgwfall
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 9:48:06 PM

greybeard wrote:
The First Night was a great show all round, but spoiled by about a third of the crowd that were totally uninterested in the proceedings

It seemed to be well advertised what was happening there, so wonder why those not interested turned up?

Just to be able to say they were at "Festival First Night"??