Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Here is the 1st announcement Options
mark123
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:54:52 AM
Groups: Member

Apologies if this has already been posted but I couldn't see it.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/26186/Bluesfest-2011-lineup

There is also an interesting link to an interview with Peter Noble at the bottom of the story.

In a massive coup Bluesfest has lured an incredible lineup to Byron, including three legendary headline acts. As an analogy Bluesfest director Peter Noble explains that “if Jesus Christ, Mohammed AND Buddha ALL want to pray in our church or temple at the same time – we are gonna find a way to fit them in”. And if you’re not bowing down to worship this lineup there’s something seriously wrong with you.

After years of persistence trying to overcome a refusal to play in a town he’d never heard of Bob Dylan has finally agreed to headline the festival in 2011. He’ll be joined at the top of the bill by Blues legend BB. King, making his first visit to Australia since 1996, and the great Elvis Costello, playing with The Imposters.

In an interview about the festival and it’s staggering 2011 lineup, Noble proudly told FasterLouder : “I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of people who will come and say ‘Wow, you know one upon a time I went to a festival and Bob Dylan and BB King were both on!’ That will be remembered. People will pass that down to their kids. No bullshit!”

In addition to the three legendary headline acts making their first visit to Byron Bay, Bluesfest also welcomes back favourites including Michael Franti & Spearhead, the dazzling Mexican duo Rodrigo y Gabriela and Ben Harper who has been synonymous with Bluesfest since he first played way back in 1996. In 2011, Harper will bring two bands to the festival – promising to play all his hits with Relentless 7 and introducing his supergroup Fistful of Mercy, featuring Joseph Arthur and George Harrison’s son Dhani Harrison, to Australia.

The international contingent of artists also includes Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band and Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Tony Joe White, Eric Bibb, Ruthie Foster and the Blind Boys of Alabama paired for the first time ever in Australia with the king of soul vocalists Aaron Neville.

From across the Tasman the festival welcomes the most successful New Zealand recording artist of this century, the newly reformed, Trinity Roots and Little Bushmen – a side project for several of the Trinity Roots members.

While locals including regular Bluesfest favourites Ash Grunwald, Xavier Rudd, C.W. Stoneking, Saltwater Band and The Cat Empire join less likely ‘blues and roots’ acts Kate Miller-Heidke and Washington

This is just the first announcement, with the full bill said to include 120 plus artists, and Peter Noble assures us that “the second announcement so far is just as good as the first”!

FasterLouder presents the first Bluesfest announcement for 2011:
Bob Dylan
B.B. King
Ben Harper & Relentless 7
Elvis Costello & the Imposters
Michael Franti & Spearhead
Rodrigo y Gabriela
The Cat Empire
Blind Boys of Alabama featuring Aaron Neville
Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band
Robert Randolph & the Family Band
Fistful of Mercy
Mavis Staples
Xavier Rudd
Trinity Roots
Little Bushmen
Tony Joe White
Indigo Girls
Kate Miller-Heidke
Eric Bibb
Washington
Ash Grunwald
Ruthie Foster
C.W. Stoneking
Jeff Lang
Saltwater Band
RocKwiz Live
Bluesfest 2011

Thursday 21st April through to Monday 25th April

Tickets are on sale now

humanracin
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:14:34 PM
Groups: Guest

Not enough on there to warrant a whole weekend for me yet:
Bob Dylan, Mavis Staples, CW Stoneking...that is all
and whats with Washington at a Bluesfest??? Next years Jessica Malbouy? lol
E.K
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 12:20:28 PM

So Ben Harper & Relentless 7 plus his other band Fistful of Mercy? Hmmm. Ben's going to be a busy boy.
dissent
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 1:08:29 PM

that is huge.

Very happy I got the first release tickets when they came out.
Fairs
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:10:02 PM

I can't afford to go next year :( - thanks Comm bank!!
mark123
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 2:24:10 PM

There is one superstar artist who hasn't visited our shores for 25 years - the great Van the Man. Every other big name artist I can think of has been to Oz at least once and mostly many times over the last decade. I vaguely recall reading an interview with Peter Noble a few years ago where he nominated Van as someone he would have in his ultimate line up. I would give my left nut to see the legendary Van Morrison live. If he doesn't come here soon I fear the fat old grumpy bastard will croak it and that would be very disappointing for us Aussie fans. (and his family and friends)
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 3:36:55 PM

I think you might have to go offshore to see the Irishman.

I recall it being mooted on this forum,that as with Chuck Berry,he is not interested in touring Aussie.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Paladin
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 4:37:31 PM

This is the most exciting first announcment EVER. Too much, much too much. Just Awesome!!
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:39:05 PM

humanracin said "Not enough on there to warrant a whole weekend for me yet:
Bob Dylan, Mavis Staples, CW Stoneking...that is all
and whats with Washington at a Bluesfest??? Next years Jessica Malbouy? lol"

paladin said "This is the most exciting first announcment EVER. Too much, much too much. Just Awesome!!"

I am going with paladin on this, for 1st announcement this is effing HUGE. Who cares if some have played before or if there is a plastic pop star on the bill.. I haven't seen Bob Dylan, BB King, Elvis Costello & Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band at Bluesfest. And great returning artists like Eric Bibb, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, TJW, Robert Randolf (finally, do not miss), Ruthie Foster, Mavis Staples, CW Stoneking & Blind Boys with Aaron Neville. Then you have the crowd faves Ben Harper, Franti & Cat Empire.

Already wondering who I may miss due to scheduling conflicts & there is still 2-3 more anouncements, can't recall that happening any previous 1st announcement.
littlewillie
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:19:07 PM

Incredible line up Peter , I'm lost for words.

repete
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:43:56 PM

Thanks Peter....this is just sublime.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:48:47 PM

unF...ING BELIEVABLE !!!!! I AM SPEACHLESS-sort of. besides the obvious,BB and DYLAN im over the moon as i cant stop playing ALREADY FREE-DEREK TRUCKS the cd has got such a great feel ,and ROBERT RANDOLPH whose 4 cds are always being played. and you can bet robert will bring some faith with him for easter.

peter noble you should be wearing a easter bunny outfit,thats quite an great early present.!!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
arbee0
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:11:36 PM

I just made a career-threatening move and bought a $4K+ return airfare for April
CaptainVic2
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:52:43 PM

waffles wrote:
unF...ING BELIEVABLE !!!!! I AM SPEACHLESS-sort of. besides the obvious,BB and DYLAN im over the moon

Waffles, You took the words right out of my mouth. Wow! Thank you Peter and the Bluesfest team!
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:21:27 PM

I have an awful feeling that there WILL BE CLASHES
Terrible, unacceptable CLASHES

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
alickweber
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:43:08 PM
Groups: Guest

greybeard wrote:

Indeed. The stress is now not who will be announced, but who will you have to miss!! Argh! Peter, what have you done ;-)

I'm more excited than I've been for years about this BF... Bring on Easter - anyone counting the days yet?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:47:13 PM

By theloneranger at 2010-09-22

And we still have to come in the second announcement...

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
arbee0
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:47:33 PM

greybeard wrote:

My thoughts this time last year too - my only regret, based on reports here was missing the Avett Bros - otherwise it worked out ..... with bonuses!
I'm sure it will work next year too - and if it don't. it's sure as hell won't be the fault of the BF team!

In the words of my Mongolian team here - BF-team, "Chi Shuu" (= you rock!)

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:58:38 PM

By theloneranger at 2010-11-03

And the second announcement will surely include a country flavour.

dtucker
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 10:15:34 PM

greybeard wrote:

There are particularly two clashes that I fear: Elvis Costello and Dylan on the Monday night. Peter please don't let them clash, I just don't want to make that choice. The other is Thursday - if Ben Harper and Relentless7, Michael Franti & Spearhead and Xavier Rudd all play at the same time, I might be forced to see one of them, although I guess there always will better alternatives in the APRA and First Nation Tent.

Overall, a pretty impressive first announcement (is the list a little shorter than in previous years or is my memory failing?). I'm especially keen to see BB King for the first time and Robert Randolph again but am also hoping to see a few more new (to Bluesfest) acts and more women announced in subsequent releases. On the other hand I don't care how many times Bluesfest regulars Ruthie Foster, CW Stoneking, Mavis Staples, Tony Joe White and the Blind Boys play, I'd never get tired of seeing them.