Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Artist announcement next week Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:27:22 AM
Groups: Administration

This is kinda how it all works (sometimes)- I hope you find this interesting -
artist confirmations are coming along really well this year....kinda the way it goes with us is , as soon as we have enough artists to announce....we announce - there's no great business plan or anything behind it - it's just a matter of when the time is right it's right...
So, as there are nearly enough artists confirmed - we plan to announce when we get to that number - which is around 20 good headliners, and we are almost there - almost. Many of these artists are touring as a part of a world tour - and so a whole lot of performance dates must be confirmed as part of the Bluesfest appearances before a tour can be confirmed in various parts of the world....that is why things can take a whole lot longer than we would prefer them to take - and sometimes we feel the artist $$$ requirements require a little arm wrestling - which can take a while - there's one band that looks like confirming for next year - but is not confirmed yet - that the negotiation is in it's third year - without a result so far, this is certainly something that would be good to conclude with them playing Bluesfest- at some time in the near future.
Another artist has not toured Australia since 1996, and we have been attempting to get them to tour since around 1999 - AND, we just got an email saying they are going to be confirming (hopefully) this coming week - THAT's a pretty good clue.
Other bands decide to tour a whole lot earlier - or a whole lot later, than others - we were offered 8 great international bands over the past week - who we will be attempting to present, who probably won't make the first announce - and guess what - some band reps are contacting me already about performing on Bluesfest 2012 - and we have confirms for about 4 artists already.
Others who have confirmed are still finalising their Australian tours - and may not make the first announcement - which is why you often see their concerts advertised before Bluesfest announces, if they push the yes button between our announces - which generally occur at this time of year between 3 or 4 weeks of each other - however, as I previously advised - there is no master plan. it is kind of a critical mass situation.

As there are up to around 170 - 190 performances at Bluesfest - and 120 plus artists performing - you don't get them all in one go. However - the first few announcements tend to have most of the headliners - unless some are a little slack in confirming in our timelines- at which point we fit them in when we do the next announce - which can be almost anytime up to a few weeks out of the festival....this is why some major artists are announced much later - and then there is a little trick we do, which is we get our annpouncement covered in the world's music trade magazines - to prompt an agent or manager to get in touch with us about his 'next big thing' when he reads the article - most of these go in our following years artists to do file - but every now and then a real gem occurs, and we add the artist to the upcoming fest.
We always say the best Bluesfest is the one you never get to see - as we approach more artists than we expect to present in order to avoid not having all the major artists slots filled - a little like airlines over booking seats expecting no shows I guess. I CAN say that this year - so far - none of our headliners who we have made offers to have cancelled to date- and we are on countdown. Of course - should it occur that ALL the headliners confirm who we have approached - you will be the beneficiary - and we will need to look at our budgets and ticket prices really closely in order to get the $$ numbers we need, so we stay in business - so hint, hint - if you see the ticket prices go up a little more than expected after the Earlybirds go off sale - you KNOW we have the bill from hell to present - AND, we gotta pay ALL the artists who want to come and play their fees - and present them at their production values. so if ticket prices go up even more, this may occur after the first announcment - or the even second announcement - as I previously said there's no master plan - however as an analogy - if Jesus Christ, Mohammed AND Buddha ALL want to pray in our church or temple at the same time- we are gonna find a way to fit them in.
Bluesfest has NEVER been all about the money - it's about music - and presenting the best I can is my mission in life -and then you know what - I hardly get to see more than around 20% of the artists performances- and even then it is only for a song or two - but hey, that's what comes with the territory - I've got a job to do-there's a festival to present - and if I want to see all the artists performing - I can go to someone else's festival.
Of course Bluesfest will also be going on the road again next year under our company Bluesfest touring which is in 2010 so far, the sixth highest grossing Australia concert promoter-- with 17 tours to date in 2010 and over 12 tours occuring so far around Australia and New Zealand around Bluesfest 2011.
You will be seeing our artists performing everywhere from Jazz clubs in Sydney (The Basement), to the Concert Hall of Sydney Opera House - The Spiegeltent in Melbourne - and the Aotea Centre in Auckland, as well as venues like Joes Waterhole in Eumundi Qld.
We also have the Singapore Rock 'n Roots festival the weekend before Bluesfest that we present- and lot's of other festivals, such as the West Coast Blues 'N Roots Festival/Perth - the New Zealand Jazz Festival in Tauranga, and the Christchurch Jazz Fest who wil present a number of the artists we are touring.....It's a big job to get it all together, AND, it's all The Roots and their fruits folks. Touring has grown to be a major part of our business over the past 10 years or so, and has helped define a large market for the kind of music we like presenting in this part of the world.

Yes - it looks like the artist announcement will be next week - you heard it first here........however if it ends up being the week after - please go to the top and read again.
In the words of the wise
That's All folks - for now.

peter Noble
Festival Director

greybeard
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 12:59:37 PM

Groups: Member

Thanks Peter
Interesting read and insight but thought the print size a bit challenging for the volume of text
Hope our dollar's value helps your negotiations
Regards

[quote=bluesfestadmin]This is kinda how it all works (sometimes)- I hope you find this interesting -
artist confirmations are coming along really well this year....kinda the way it goes with us is , as soon as we have enough artists to announce....we announce - there's no great business plan or anything behind it - it's just a matter of when the time is right it's right...

So, as there are nearly enough artists confirmed - we plan to announce when we get to that number - which is around 20 good headliners, and we are almost there - almost. Many of these artists are touring as a part of a world tour - and so a whole lot of performance dates must be confirmed as part of the Bluesfest appearances before a tour can be confirmed in various parts of the world....that is why things can take a whole lot longer than we would prefer them to take - and sometimes we feel the artist $$$ requirements require a little arm wrestling - which can take a while - there's one band that looks like confirming for next year - but is not confirmed yet - that the negotiation is in it's third year - without a result so far, this is certainly something that would be good to conclude with them playing Bluesfest- at some time in the near future.

Another artist has not toured Australia since 1996, and we have been attempting to get them to tour since around 1999 - AND, we just got an email saying they are going to be confirming (hopefully) this coming week - THAT's a pretty good clue.
Other bands decide to tour a whole lot earlier - or a whole lot later, than others - we were offered 8 great international bands over the past week - who we will be attempting to present, who probably won't make the first announce - and guess what - some band reps are contacting me already about performing on Bluesfest 2012 - and we have confirms for about 4 artists already.

Others who have confirmed are still finalising their Australian tours - and may not make the first announcement - which is why you often see their concerts advertised before Bluesfest announces, if they push the yes button between our announces - which generally occur at this time of year between 3 or 4 weeks of each other - however, as I previously advised - there is no master plan. it is kind of a critical mass situation.

As there are up to around 170 - 190 performances at Bluesfest - and 120 plus artists performing - you don't get them all in one go. However - the first few announcements tend to have most of the headliners - unless some are a little slack in confirming in our timelines- at which point we fit them in when we do the next announce - which can be almost anytime up to a few weeks out of the festival....this is why some major artists are announced much later - and then there is a little trick we do, which is we get our annpouncement covered in the world's music trade magazines - to prompt an agent or manager to get in touch with us about his 'next big thing' when he reads the article - most of these go in our following years artists to do file - but every now and then a real gem occurs, and we add the artist to the upcoming fest.

We always say the best Bluesfest is the one you never get to see - as we approach more artists than we expect to present in order to avoid not having all the major artists slots filled - a little like airlines over booking seats expecting no shows I guess. I CAN say that this year - so far - none of our headliners who we have made offers to have cancelled to date- and we are on countdown. Of course - should it occur that ALL the headliners confirm who we have approached - you will be the beneficiary - and we will need to look at our budgets and ticket prices really closely in order to get the $$ numbers we need, so we stay in business - so hint, hint - if you see the ticket prices go up a little more than expected after the Earlybirds go off sale - you KNOW we have the bill from hell to present - AND, we gotta pay ALL the artists who want to come and play their fees - and present them at their production values. Which, may occur after the first announcment - or the even second announcement - as I previously said there's no master plan - however as an analogy - if Jesus Christ, Mohammed AND Buddha ALL want to pray in our church or temple at the same time- we are gonna find a way to fit them in.

Bluesfest has NEVER been all about the money - it's about music - and presenting the best I can is my mission in life -and then you know what - I hardly get to see more than around 20% of the artists performances- and even then it is only for a song or two - but hey, that's what comes with the territory - I've got a job to do-there's a festival to present - and if I want to see all the artists performing - I can go to someone else's festival.
Of course Bluesfest will also be going on the road again next year under our company Bluesfest touring which is in 2010 so far, the sixth highest grossing Australia concert promoter-- with 17 tours to date in 2010 and over 12 tours occuring so far around Australia and New Zealand around Bluesfest 2011.
You will be seeing our artists performing everywhere from Jazz clubs in Sydney (The Basement), to the Concert Hall of Sydney Opera House - The Spiegeltent in Melbourne - and the Aotea Centre in Auckland, as well as venues like Joes Waterhole in Eumundi Qld.

We also have the Singapore rock 'n Roots festival the weekend before Bluesfest that we present- and lot's of other festivals, such as the West Coast Blues 'N Roots Festival/Perth - the New Zealand Jazz Festival in Tauranga, and the Christchurch Jazz Fest who wil present a number of the artists we are touring.....It's a big job to get it all together, AND, it's all The Roots and their fruits folks. Touring has grown to be a major part of our business over the past 10 years or so, and has helped define a large market for the kind of music we like presenting in this part of the world.

Yes - it looks like the artist announcement will be next week - you heard it first here........however if it ends up being the week after - please go to the top and read again.
In the words of the wise
That's All folks - for now.

peter Noble
Festival Director

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:15:51 PM

wow-jc,mohammed and buddha. whos gonna headline.

sorry if thats offensive. good insight into how it comes togeather-good luck.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
colinsid
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 7:20:56 PM

I have often wondered why the announcements are never the same time, thanks for the insight to the inner workings.

With some artists already in for 2012 is it possible to have a 2012 1st artist announcement before 2011 is announced?

Whilst it's not about the money the strong aus dollar must be casing some issues. Glad I've paid for my ticket.

Any ides on who hasn't toured since 1996?
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:30:35 AM

Merv Cantwell & Hilda Ogden were here in '95 played the basement it was only half full but it was a wednesday night those who were there compared it to an early Seth Munion gig. Bunny Wailer, Herbie Hankok, Steve Winwood, Chet Lucas all toured last decade.
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 11:01:12 AM

Maccain09 wrote:
Merv Cantwell & Hilda Ogden were here in '95 played the basement it was only half full but it was a wednesday night those who were there compared it to an early Seth Munion gig. Bunny Wailer, Herbie Hankok, Steve Winwood, Chet Lucas all toured last decade.

gee i had a few beers this night!

The poster formerly known as Dan
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:04:36 AM

I was gonna go with Steve Winwood for some reason. Random guess really.
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:21:37 AM

Thanks Peter for the update. Good on you for bringing us the music; a massive job and we really appreciate it.

Will be good to point the usual "BF sold out", "BF is all about the $" and "We was conned with the announcement" posters to this background info in the coming months....

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:19:06 PM
Groups: Guest

Well I suppose it's up to me to proceed with the wild speculation so here goes.

I believe we may be about due for a royal visit. Last time would have been about 1996 maybe.

My memory on some matters pertaining to the previous millenium are quite rightly dim.

curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:17:10 PM

Pretty sure His Highness Tom Waits last tour was before 1996...

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
colinsid
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:26:59 PM

Just had a look at Robert Plant's website & he doesn't seem to have toured here since 1996, so that's who my money is on.
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:29:30 PM

It's got to be Toby Keith - not a massive fan but it's about time the feat stood up to these tree hugging pinkos ...,
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:27:23 AM

16 yrs and BB's photo on the latest email..............Hmmmmm!! last saw him about 16 yrs ago in thre Logan Campbell Centre Auckland.
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:20:09 AM

johnnymac wrote:
16 yrs and BB's photo on the latest email..............Hmmmmm!! last saw him about 16 yrs ago in thre Logan Campbell Centre Auckland.

Yeah, wondered about that choice of photo for the email..........but after last years JJ fiasco, decided not to read anything into it.
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:32:01 AM
Groups: Guest

Hes been asked (begged for not just from the punters ) We can at least hope.

skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:22:00 PM

Jack johnson

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:27:35 PM
Groups: Administration

what a great idea - why didn't we think of that - thanks we will get on it
Thanks again
Bboard Admin
rstroud
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:46:34 PM

Wait until 2200 !
Dan...
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 1:29:59 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Thanks again
Bboard Admin

:-D

post of the year

The poster formerly known as Dan
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 2:26:44 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Thanks again
Bboard Admin

Ha Ha Ha Ha nice ; )

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?