Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Billy Thorpe - Tangier Options
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 8:16:32 PM
Groups: Guest

Billy Thorpe's rocking in Morocco on this final release called Tangier . http://tangier.com.au/index

Tangier was to be Thorpe's most ambitious musical project and fans feared it had died along with the revered Aussie rocker when he suffered a heart attack in 2007.
The album combines soaring orchestral arrangements with Arabic dance rhythms and a modern rock feel. Musicians from Morocco, Turkey, India, the US and Australia performed on the project.
Thorpe's old friend Michael Chugg described it as an Arabic rock fusion concept album.

His family and closest music industry mates, including Michael Chugg and Amanda Pelman, were determined to finish the record and the first taste of this rock opera inspired by Thorpe's travels to Morocco is revealed today.
Many of Thorpe's mates and local musicians rallied to help complete the record.

The cross-culture recording includes two tracks narrated by a friend of Thorpe's, actor Jack Thompson.
Fleetwood Mac's Mick Fleetwood added his percussive talents to the works-in-progress, Sneaky Sound System's Connie Mitchell provided harmonies Ian Moss Brian Cadd and Vanessa Amorosi were also involved, producer Daniel Denholm painstakingly pieced together Thorpe's recordings.
Chugg said that there were moments when it felt like the ghost of Thorpe was directing everyone to finish Tangier. "He's been gone for three years and it's like he's still calling the shots," he said.

A fitting finale to a great aussie music legend.

Billy Thorpe - Tangier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYn7V4Uyo88

Same song but done live as a solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEsqrfy1-ss
donaldhp
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 10:33:50 PM

Thanks c0kebloke ...great stuff. Really looking forward to hearing it.
Cheers, Don
ps You must tell me how to post photos sometime
c0kebloke
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 2:31:26 AM

I was haveing my first listen while writing the original post & i liked what i heard but dont expect the thorpie of the sunbury era as this one is far more grandiose in style.
I'ts more or less what i was expecting & hopeing for.

As for pic's Don i'll give you a copy of mr beard's instructions on the subject - that way if things don't work out you can blame him,on the other hand if it's a success i shall be more than happy to take all the credit.

1) Have the forum in one window, signed in, and opened to the correct thread, and press Add Reply button

2) Have the photo you'd like copied in another window, right click mouse in the photos centre - a drop down menu should appear
Select Copy Image Location

3) Go back to forum window and select the tiny icon of mountain and sun
So you get this [ img][/ img] then place the curser in the middle of the two bracket sets and right click again
Select Paste Your photo should be there if you look at preview, press post when you've finished.

My way is to use photobucket when posting pics http://photobucket.com/ Just go to Support @ the bottom of the page & click the help link

The help menu in photobucket is where you will get the best advice as if i start i'm sure to only confuse us both.
It shows the following.

Getting Started Sign up for a free Photobucket account to get started uploading and sharing your images and videos!

•Choose your account settings: Set your personal information, manage contacts, and more.
•Create an album: Create an album where you can upload media.
•Upload media
•Share your media with your friends and family.
Quite easy once you get started - just play around with it a bit & you will have the hang of it in no time.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:11:57 PM
Groups: Member

thanks for that coke.
and something else...i checked the youtube clip of billy thorpe..tangier,and then went to other thorpie you tube clips,which linked to sunbury clips,and having been there had a look at those and there in sunbury clip 2 was a crowd shot of hat wearing fans ,and at 1.32 was a very young waffles. that was a long time ago i hate to admit,but hey some of the acts are still
rocking,so i will too!!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:07:15 AM

waffles wrote:
thanks for that coke.
and something else...i checked the youtube clip of billy thorpe..tangier,and then went to other thorpie you tube clips,which linked to sunbury clips,and having been there had a look at those and there in sunbury clip 2 was a crowd shot of hat wearing fans ,and at 1.32 was a very young waffles. that was a long time ago i hate to admit,bt hey some of the acts are still
rocking,so i will too!!!
Geat to hear that waffles some of my mates of years ago ( back in the late 70 - early mid 80's back then) told me of sunburry & showed me of themselv'es back then @ the time.
going back a few years now mate !!( still recall seeing a pic of one of them wearing the o'l hippy hat's)

waffles
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:31:30 PM

i was very big for my age,and even though i have a beard in the video i was only 6 years old!!!!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ifulton
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:27:24 PM

I was blessed to hear Billy perform the title track at one of his last concerts and also attended the funeral service at the Entertainment Centre where it was performed by his friends.

Been waiting too long for the release.
E.K
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 9:03:08 AM

ifulton wrote:
I was blessed to hear Billy perform the title track at one of his last concerts and also attended the funeral service at the Entertainment Centre where it was performed by his friends.

Been waiting too long for the release.

Same here.

I saw one of Billy's last shows which was at Dee Why RSL. Not long after that he passed away .. was such a shock. Also went to the memorial at Sydney Ent. Cent. Wasn't expecting to see his casket on stage. :(