Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The King is Dead Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 11:29:06 AM
Groups: Administration

although there is another post going on the board - I hope you will forgive me for starting another one.
I would like to express my sincere condolences to the family of Solomon Burke at this sad time. Especially to his life partner Jane Vickers, who doubled as his personal assistant in all matters - and who I am sure would have been on the plane with him when he so tragically passed away on arrival at Amsterdam airport from Los Angeles yesterday- where he was about to perform in a sold out show at the legendary Dutch venue The Paradiso.
His passing on the road is a fitting tribute to this great man - one who would always assert his being the 'King of Rock & Soul Music' nightly with every performance, within which his sad passing has occured - doing what he loved......yet in this case - there cannot be the tribute 'the king is dead - long live the king' - as Solomon Burke is impossible to replace - a one of a kind - and part of what is now fast becoming history - the passing one one of the last of the real Soul greats.
Please take the time to read about all his hits over many decades, and you will see for yourself that this is a man who has left his mark on the world of music forever.
On top of that let me tell you that the respect that EVERYONE held him in who worked with him was almost unmatched in the music industry - his band revered him, and his children continued to perform as members of his band - one Candy Burke, who was one of the back up singers in his band - and who he often featured in his shows - was to me his protege, and I do expect to hear much more of her - and I'm positive that's the way Solomon would have expected it to be.
Candy would also have been on that plane - and probably more of Solomon's children as well....how painful to have to now carry their Dad home from so far away.
On meeting Solomon when he first performed at Bluesfest in 2004 - I found a man who radiated compassion when not performing, and who took the time to help me with a very difficult situation I was dealing with. I will not go into that here....however, the kind Reverend Burke's offer to marry me and the love of my life upon finding ewe were 'living in sin', is now something which although I accepted his kind offer to occur on a future date at his church in Los Angeles - unfortunately will now never come to pass.
My greatest regret as festival director of Bluesfest is that I ONLY bought Solomon Burke to Australia in 2004 and 2005 - I should have bought him more.
Goodbye Solomon Burke - a star in the sky has gone out - and the sky will never shine so brightly again.
Peter Noble
Festival Director
Bluesfest