Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Byron boomers prove you can stop the music Options
greybeard
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:38:44 AM

Groups: Member

Byron boomers prove you can stop the music
RACHEL OLDING
July 24, 2010

Byron Bay's ageing baby boomer landlords have cut the town's financial throat by banning festivals that have attracted thousands of young visitors since the 1980s.

The mayor, Jan Barham, said gen Y visitors had been ruining the town. ''Lifestyles are being impinged upon, people are being kept up all night by partying in the street, by people defecating on lawns,'' she said.

Proof that Byron Bay has lost one of its biggest money spinners comes this Friday when 30,000 music and arts fans gather for the annual Splendour in the Grass festival, not at its usual Byron Bay home but in Woodford on the Sunshine Coast.

Ed Ahern, president of the Byron Bay chamber of commerce, said the town's free-thinking spirit had morphed into saying no to everything. ''A small group of vocal, anti-anything residents have literally taken about $25 million out of our community economically, not to mention the youth jobs, community involvement, cultural vibrancy and world class entertainment.''

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/byron-boomers-prove-you-can-stop-the-music-20100723-10or9.html

''This place should be like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon but it's absolutely disgusting,'' he said. ''There isn't a toilet in town you'd send your mother, daughter or wife to, there isn't a garden bed that isn't full of gravel. We want some forward thinking people. We should be leading the world in green outcomes but instead we just say no to everything and it's all that negative energy from people who are stuck in the '70s.''

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 11:01:20 PM

If you want lots of tourist dollars,and you have a town where 90% of the backpackers who visit Aussie want to visit,then there are downsides.
At least it isn't like Queenstown with its numerous bars open all day where people are wandering around drunk and keeping the court news full with scraps.
I know some people who moved out of Wanaka because they got sick of partying snowboarders/skiers tramping around their property,stealing their ornaments and doing jobbies on their lawn,but that is a side effect of lots of young tourists.
It may be that businesses in Byron are doing so well economically that they don't need festivals.
If that is the case,there will be other parts of Aussie only to keen to pick them up.
I've never found the toilets in Byron to be any different to anwhere else.
I've never seen gardens with gravel in them anymore than anywhere else.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
ScottM
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:37:25 AM

Such a tricky balance. I really can "get" both sides of this one - if there was something that was sacred to me and I watched it gradually getting trampled (and even if a very small minority of festival goers cause a headache, that's still plenty of people), then I would probably get defensive too. But it seems a shame that many locals are in a mentality of simply trying to "build a wall" around what they remember loving about the place instead of working to make it better and evolve in a natural manner. You can't fight the tide forever after all.......

Kind of echoes the argument when bands become popular - on one hand, the diehard original fans seek to hold on to what they first loved about the band, but then a whole bunch of new folks feel they have every bit as much entitlement to enjoy the band in their present state. Sentiminentality is not advised in such situations.

waffles
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:42:50 AM

bluesfest currently have an application to increase numbers from 17,500 to 20,000 after 2013. a reasonable request so as to guarantee return on outlay.this would be neccessary to continue to upgrade facilities at tyagarah.
splendours future in byron shire is unsure.this years event at woodfordia is catering for 30,000 i think-numbers they never had at belongil fields.im not sure what their new site-if it ever gets passed-caters for.
i think byron might take a harder look at what tourists they attract.most byron bussinesses are currently suffering badly from lack of tourists.7 have closed in recent weeks and the number of closures is reported to maybe reach 30.backpackers just arent coming.and with many businesses aimed at that market,and paying ridiculously high rents,it doesnt take long to go down.
i think byron council is trying to lose the party town image.

ps-if youre heading to splendour,keep an eye out for the-stairway to heaven-should look good.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
speedysloth
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:40:44 PM

Bloody baby-boomers! *shakes fist&ducksforcover*..

I can understand though, seeing as though those horrible gen Y-ers are yet to follow the impeccably mannered gen X ;) ..
A little bit more seriously though, Splendour should take a bit of blame-
maybe they'll enjoy their holiday up north?

don't worry Byron Bay,
I still love you.
colinsid
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:40:35 AM

I don't want to go to a festival with 30000 people. Even Bluesfest, when full, can be uncomfortable with crowds all trying to see one act.
And you can have festivals with 100k + crowds.
I still want to both see the band & hear the music clearly, without crowd murmur.
curlyloc
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 7:58:03 AM

colinsid wrote:
I don't want to go to a festival with 30000 people. Even Bluesfest, when full, can be uncomfortable with crowds all trying to see one act.
And you can have festivals with 100k + crowds.
I still want to both see the band & hear the music clearly, without crowd murmur.

www.fotsun.com

Sharon Jones, Dallas Frasca, jump in the surf between acts, small, young but cool crowd.....and BYO!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
richo
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:08:40 PM

I've heard in the past that Festival of the Sun gets a pretty rotten Schoolies crowd?
waffles
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:29:20 AM

speaking of dallas frasca....this friday night at the renovated lennox pub. or tijuana cartel at the byron beach hotel,also friday night and then
floyd vincent & the child brides,byron beach hotel sunday arvo session.
so many decisions.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:29:54 PM

Tijuana Cartel Friday.
Floyd Vincent & The ChildBrides Sunday.
The benefits of living in Northern NSW.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:12:42 PM

yes but....it was 28 degrees today.and surf conditions were near perfect.

curlyloc
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 12:49:19 PM

richo wrote:
I've heard in the past that Festival of the Sun gets a pretty rotten Schoolies crowd?

I have found the FOTSUN crowd to be much better behaved than the Splendour benders, if only for the reduced numbers. I wouldn't camp though due to noise- but then I wouldn't camp anywhere!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
richo
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 8:49:45 PM

Fair enough. For the record, Splendour at Woodford this year was great. Didn't encounter anything but awesome people out having a great time, which is more than I can say for the handful I attended at Belongil.
wildthing
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:57:18 PM

Ohhhhhhhh! I so wanted to go!!!!!! Stop telling me how great it was. Grrrrrrrrrr!. booobhoooo.
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 10:47:51 AM

wildthing wrote:
Ohhhhhhhh! I so wanted to go!!!!!! Stop telling me how great it was. Grrrrrrrrrr!. booobhoooo.

You'll get ur turn after FOTSUN wildthang!

dtucker
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 1:52:31 PM

richo wrote:
Fair enough. For the record, Splendour at Woodford this year was great. Didn't encounter anything but awesome people out having a great time, which is more than I can say for the handful I attended at Belongil.

I definitely agree. I hadn't been to Splendour before and decided to take my son for his birthday. After reading a letter in the SMH from a Byron shire resident predicting a horror event with 30000 drunk teenagers, I started to have some serious doubts. Sure there were 32000 people, probably mostly teenagers and nearly all drinking but there was absolutely no aggro and, just as Richo said, a real feeling of happiness in the air. I felt right at home despite being three times the likely average age of the crowd. The Woodford site handled the crowd really well although it might have been a bit different if the weather was bad. And what a line-up - I thought I had problems with clashes at BF last year but this took some very serious planning and lots of very fast walking between venues and I still missed bands I would have loved to see. looks like I'll be permanently adding splendour to my yearly schedule as well as bluesfest - there goes any hopes of retiring in the near future.

wildthing
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 2:56:57 PM

Good for you dtucker... would loved to have gone. Maybe it's the Woodfordia environment that mellowed people. I heard it will be back close to Byron nxt year. But what a lineup they had. Will be hard to replicate. Cheers.
pod2006
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:56:35 PM

Some oldies are still goodies when it comes time to inviting working acts to play- especially if they have the pedigree of Floyd Vincent. If he was a league player Wayne Bennett would hire him for his value for money, mentoring, big game performance. If he was a surfer, he'd get a wild card. If a politician, maybe a consultancy.

BF admin- please do likewise to Floyd Vincent and the Temple Dogs. Still rocking out. Saw him/them tonight in a Dudley pub and he/they worked the crowd and played 3 hours of 3x1 hr sets. None of this temperamental "padding" by part time artists. He's a big attraction to the salsa crowd and those who enjoy to party.
The BF punters are a discerning crowd. Here's an act that is win/win. For the true believers in a small tent it will make their day. For the wandering punter looking for a passionate party gig who stumbles onto the said FV & the TD's - here's the their surprise of the festival.
I do not need to preach, but here is a worthy addition to the bill.