Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

GREAZEFEST Options
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 11:09:45 PM
Groups: Member

While like many posters,a trip to the USA is the ultimate musical journey,in the meantime I have more simple pursuits to explore.

While looking at the Detonators Website,I found this.

Old Hat to Queensland residents but something new and interesting for me to explore....and condensed into a three day timeframe....

Lots of great Aussie rockabilly bands...

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:39:07 AM

Patrick
A photo from the web site may generate a little more attention

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:31:04 PM

After seeing Kush Cabaret I have decided that I am highly in favour of Burlesque at Music Festivals.

And I have no objection to Bettie Page............

Or Bertie Page................................................

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 6:18:33 PM

I've booked airfares,tickets,board and a car so looking forward to it.

Looks like there will be plenty of merchandise on sale.

c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 9:43:25 PM
Groups: Guest

You may be interested in the Wintersun festival as well Patrick. http://www.wintersun.org.au/index.ews

The fest is takeing place at the moment on the gold coast but just looking at the dates it seems they may have a couple of fests held in different places each year.

WINTERSUN 2010 is 5th to 14th June - Coolangatta / Tweed - The last time at the gold coast for at least the next 3 years but just in case you may be interested in what the entertainment is like heres the 2010 PROGRAMME. http://www.wintersun.org.au/entertainment.ews

WINTERSUN MILDURA 2010 is planned for 13th to 16th August.

WINTERSUN 2011 will be in PORT MACQUARIE from June 3rd to 13th.

Wintersun 2010 starts on Friday 4th June and ends with the huge Best of Wintersun Concert on Monday 14th June. Wintersun is Australia's leading annual Retro Nostalgia Festival. Featuring almost 1500 Hot Rods, Custom and Classic Cars, more than 100 bands and performers, dancing, movies, and competitions.

Lots of free music on offer sat - sun plus lots of other entertainment & quite a few rockabilly bands.

It may be a little late for the current fest but you may like to keep it in mind for the future.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:38:47 PM

Mr Bongo,I did have a look at Wintersun and will bear it in mind for a future excursion.

Meanwhile,I am looking forward to Greazefest this weekend,and in preparation,have been listening to
The same Detonators CD that Young Bill has on rotation
The Flattrakkers
The BoneRattlers
Straight 8's
The Retro-Rockets
Various Deke Dickerson Albums & CDS

Looking forward to stocking up on lots more Aussie Rockabilly music and viewing the car show.

waffles
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:06:50 PM

im there sunday.hope the weather holds.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:23:52 PM

I looked at the Weather Forecast for Brisbane before I left and for the next week it was all lows of about 13 and highs of about 25.
How can you call that winter ? Its shorts and sandals weather.
I am sitting in the YHA and have discovered that the most efficient way of travel there and back is by train.
I had an argument with the Budget rental car people at the airport because I could not supply an Aussie phone number.
I gave them two NZ ones.I have never been asked for this before.
I can't figure out how people hiring rental cars know exactly where they are staying all the time.
I have decided in future not to hire rental cars from the companies that have an office in the terminal building,as they clearly get it too easy.
I don't like "I'm God and you are an insect."
"But we are giving you a $30k car,said the Budget girl.A 1300cc Hyundai Getz can't be $30k I said.Well $24k then she said.Gosh I said,back home you can pick up a mid 2000's one with low ks for about $10k to $12k.OK I said a $1k car will do me,I'm not fussy."
She overlooks that it is insured,and if it crashes,I am liable for the first $3k.
So I went across to the Red Spot Desk."Sorry I can't help you" said the girl."You haven't got a mobile phone number you can give me."
An English guy at the info stand said I should have conjured up some numbers,which is a good idea because they don't actually verify anything.
I am going to write to them when I get back and point out that their terms and conditions when you book online do not require telephone numbers.
So I booked a shuttle,waited half an hour then it left without me,so had to wait another hour,which meant arrival at the airport before 7pm and didn't get to the hostel till after 10pm.Not good.
Forgot in my rush to bring my tickets,airplugs and a towel.
All in all the rental car failure was probably a good thing.
I can spend some of the money on some more rockabilly cds.
This YHA isn't like Murwullimbah.They don't hire towels and they don't have proper keys,but these card ones where the instructions don't tell you that you have to wait for the green light before you can open a door."But I thought everyone knew that " said the receptionist.
Not as used friendly as a proper key,and there are enough people who get bamboozled with the IDs for security locks.
All of these things are more and more red tape stuff as part of our lives,because of a lack of trust in society.
Hopefully tommorrow brings better things.
The shuffle driver was a down to earth bloke,as shuffle drivers tend to be.
Maybe rental car employees should do some shuffle car driving for a while.
I guess all these terminal rental car companies are probably USA owned,and bring the big brother stuff out here.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 12:55:56 AM

After reading about the giant bumper to bumper car jam going to Splendour In the Grass,it looks like a highway to keep away from in the meantime.
If they have 32,000 attending each day,that is somewhat bigger than Bluesfest.
No wonder the YHA is heavily booked.
Perhaps it did not bring alot of extra revenue to Byron Bay businesses.
Surely it would be ideally suited to a sublease on the new Bluesfest site,and I imagine that as far as ground conditions go,winter in Byron would not be as wet as Autumn.

Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 6:13:19 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I looked at the Weather Forecast for Brisbane before I left and for the next week it was all lows of about 13 and highs of about 25.
How can you call that winter ? Its shorts and sandals weather.

It's our weather and we will call the seasons as we see fit! ;-)

Welcome to Brisvegas or as some prefer, Brisneyland.

I'm planning to head over Sunday so might see you there. Not sure which YHA you're at but there is a train to the airport if that helps with the travel plans. If you get stuck or need anything else drop me an email.

As for Splendour, methinks it will be a tad muddy but it's an awesome lineup.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 5:32:32 PM

Hi Rabbitoh,

I went down to the train station today and got a timetable.
It is El Cheapo to get the train out to the venue but I note that the last train back in leaves Rocklea at 12.30am which is half an hour before close.
Hopefully they have a bus or taxis available,otherwise it will be an 11km walk,which would be OK.
You will know how inexpensive Hyundais are and how econonomical they are on fuel.
It certainly is warm and humid.
You don't need a towel at the hostel as they have free hairdryers.
Did you not consider attending Splendour ?
The greazefest car show on Sunday will be a great atmosphere for photographs.

wildthing
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:35:02 AM

Agree with ya Rabbitoh about Splendour...Huge lineup!!!A bit far and pricey for this little black duck.Luckily I have a friend txting me how good it is and what I'm missing out on.. So kind :(
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:03:15 PM

Wild Thing why has not the Black Drake shouted you a ticket ?
Splendour certainly looks the place to be for the in set.
I suspect that is the music event which will be the subject of work gossip over the next week.
Meanwhile,the out set were at the first night of greasefest.
I've never seen so many females with tattoos...And if so many are exposed outside of their clothing,how many are hidden ?
Great first night with the Detonators captivating the crowd with a riveting performance.
As Tim Finn said about Bluesfest,if you have an audience already primed up to go[and an unseated crowd also assists]it does help immensely.
Backed up by a great set from The Flattrakkers.
And last but not least,Miss Bertie Page.
Kush Cabaret was the first burlesque act I have ever seen.
Miss Bertie Page,who was described as burlesque, was actually the first live striptease act I have seen.Very tastefully done.
Missed the last act which was a pyschobilly act,but had to get to the train in time.
Had the delightful company of a young metal lady on the way back.
I guess I should have picked her interests as she was dressed in black and had a weird thing in her nose.
She also liked pig hunting and country music,which was why she attended Greazefest,rather than Splendour which she said was "too trendy"
I must compliment Brisbane on the quality of the Courier mail.Lots of great articles.
Brad Thorn said that when he shifted over from NZ to Brisbane,he used to take his shirt off in class because it was so hot.
Today feels like summer,so what is it like at Xmas ?

waffles
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 3:43:19 PM

o ranger what a sheltered life youve led!
as for splendour,i hope bluesfest never gets a DAY SPA and a small mall containing a HAIR SALON.and a GENERAL PANTS store-in the festival grounds-oh please spare us. bluesfest women look just fine as they are. actually mighty fine!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:50:43 PM

Hi Waffles,yes I was tempted to ask the young lady how she managed to get the thing in her nose,but I thought it was impolite.
She was also a big Hendrix fan.I was going to try some Kangaroo meat but after she told me how many maggots you find when you shoot one,I'm having second thoughts.
As for Splendour,I was reading about a guy who is opening a shop in Brisbane where doctors,property developers and financial planners,to whom money apparently is no object,would be able to buy $4000 pairs of shoes and $1000 shirts,so perhaps that is where it is aiming.
I have to admit that I have no objection to Rockabilly ladies,and the ones that look like Herman Munster's wife[I think she was a vampire.]

greybeard
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:34:30 PM

Quote:
I have no objection to Rockabilly ladies,and the ones that look like Herman Munster's wife

The eternal question

Lily or Morticia

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
donaldhp
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:57:21 PM
Groups: Guest

Oh GB, just love your work !
Cheers, Don
Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 6:36:35 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Hi Rabbitoh,

Did you not consider attending Splendour ?

My Top 5 Reasons for not attending Splendour:

5. Was still waiting on the property settlement to be finalised due to incompetent lawyers -the ex never like Bluesfest much anyway so enough said there ;-).
4. The ticketing system sucked and many friends were unable to get tickets so it made it difficult to co-ordinate a group.
3. Not really a fan of camping at festivals, I prefer my own amenities.
2. Going to the USA in Sept/Oct and will be realising a lifelong dream seeing Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (ZZ Top support) so need to save my $$ for this one.
1. There is only one great festival worth attending and that is Bluesfest!

And yes, Christmas is bloody hot, but we all still stupidly cook a roast or ham and of course there's plenty of nice cold beer and seafood to go with it!

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 8:46:26 PM

Hi Rabbitoh,

Litigation has a life of its own,and there are very good reasons why RPA's do not settle quickly.
The longer lawyers drag it out,the more they can justify charging.
The fractured relationships between the separated parties can lead to vindictiveness on the part of one of the parties which can slow the process up.
And some lawyers are just slow.
I had a bank manager in to see me last week on an RPA matter,and she mentioned that she had seen them drag out for as long as 10 years.
I am seen situations where one party wishes to delay due to a perceived trend in property values,and if one side won't settle,it means the only way out is to go to court.
The other thing I notice is that it is not uncommon for an aggrieved party to get to the end of a litigation matter and wished they had used a different lawyer.
I have seen parties change lawyers midway through.

The ticketing system sounds very frustrating and makes it sound as if the promoters have obtained their audience too easily.

I agree with you in regard to camping.I don't mind it as part of serious tramping where everyone is not going to have to present themselves at a public event each day.

I admire your dedication to the cause of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.That is serious money you are talking about.

What type of music did your ex like ?
I would hazard a guess at rock.

I was told today that the most rain comes early in the calendar year so it must be humid as well.

As for Xmas roasts,we do not seem to have ever departed from Northern Hemisphere traditions.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 10:36:15 PM

LIly could have merged with the audience very easily,until midnight.
Grandpa was the only one I actually recall getting into and out of a coffin.
Then there are the men with hairstyles which appear to be modelled on Bert from Sesame Street.
After the car show,when I get around to saving up $80k to buy a toy,I think I will go for a 1932 Ford Coupe Hot Rod in orange yellow purple or red.
There were a number of well dressed dollybirds who would fit nicely into the other seat.
In the days before women's lib and relationships property legislation,ladies certainly did dress to kill.