Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Leonard Touring Again Options
drwildare
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:21:48 PM
Groups: Member

I just saw that the great man Leonard Cohen is touring Australia again this year October and November. How lucky must we be for him not to tour Australia for over 2 Decades and then to Tour twice in Two Years. I will be sure to get my tickets for Brisbane on Early Bird Day.

Cheers

The Dr is in Da House
richo
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:43:10 PM

I notice that tickets (good ones) are a $100 premium on last year's tour... awful steep for the exact same setlist/show a bit under two years apart!
drwildare
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:59:40 PM

Yes I notice that to it is a bit of a premium but the price last year was very very great value. I will still pay it.

The Dr is in the House
richo
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:26:16 PM

Don't worry, I'll be on Ticketek on Monday too.

I just find that tickets prices for major touring acts are ridiculous and continuing to skyrocket... being an Australia promoter must be a pretty good racket! Tickets in the past decade for major international touring acts have in many cases doubled/tripled/quadrupled while ticket prices in Europe/USA have more or less floated along with inflation. Do we have such a critical mass of cashed up baby boomers here that promoters can just charge what they like? Then there's the issue of venues... we pay a premium for these soulless entertainment centres while artists like Cohen seem to play 2 or 3 night runs in smaller venues overseas.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 10:36:26 PM

Ticketmaster....AU $143.95 to AU $198.95

I paid $195 for a front row inside seat in Auckland for Bryan Ferry.

I paid $195 for a plastic outside stadium seat in Wellington 20 rows back for David Bowie.

Ferry and band were worth every dollar...exquisite and arty...

Bowie and band were not worth it ... just another rock band....not exquisite and not arty...

One man's poison......................................................................

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 7:04:41 AM

Jimmy Barnes is asking or the promoter $80 per ticket for his show in gladstone queensland i thought that was steep. Special guest shannon noll.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
drwildare
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 7:22:53 AM

I would pay 80 to see Jimmy Barnes but would ask for a $40 dollar refund because I would expect to be paid at least $40 dollars to see shannon

The Dr is in the House
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:51:49 AM

Gotta say I regretted not seeing Leonard last year - by all accounts, he was world class.

I recall he made a major donation to the Victorian bushfire appeals despite a financially unsuccessful tour (management issues)...so I am happy to pay $200

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
youngbill
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:07:45 PM
Groups: Guest

Can anyone give me a report on rod laver as a venue? I'm guessing Acer is where the stones played last time, is that right? Is that olympic park? I was pretty underwhelmed so am thinking Melbourne may be the go instead. Hep me!
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:24:54 PM

youngbill wrote:
Can anyone give me a report on rod laver as a venue? I'm guessing Acer is where the stones played last time, is that right? Is that olympic park? I was pretty underwhelmed so am thinking Melbourne may be the go instead. Hep me!

YB, good chance he will do a Hunna Valley gig again, I reckon!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
richo
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 6:03:57 PM

curlyloc wrote:
I recall he made a major donation to the Victorian bushfire appeals despite a financially unsuccessful tour (management issues)...so I am happy to pay $200

I believe Leonard, Paul Kelly and Frontier Touring collectively donated $200,000 at his suggestion to the bushfire appeal. But the management issues were several years ago and one of the main reasons he had to start touring again in 2008 -- his former management had syphoned off almost all his retirement savings. His 50-odd shows in the US last year along grossed USD$21 million; add another 50 or so in Australia and Europe and I think the man's finances are well and truly in order again, even if his cut is only a fraction of the gross.

Definitely get along if you missed him last time though! I'm not convinced it will be his last time here as the promoter's press releases suggest, given he seems to be loving touring and showing no signs of slowing down, but still an unmissable show.
waffles
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 6:16:24 PM

when you see ticket prices too high,it makes the possibility of concert dvds a good option.while you dont have the atmosphere,you have to weigh up
the risk of getting a good seat,how far you have to travel etc.
while i loved ry cooder/nick lowes music,i had a pretty ordinary seat,i didnt think the sound was great,and i didnt think his son and his girlfriends band were a particularly good opening act.
then ive paid premium price for 3rd row centre seats that were worth every cent.
the quality of some live dvds is fantastic,but you cant beat live music!
leonard cohens LIVE IN LONDON is a great dvd,3 hours of well produced video and audio,and i wonder if i would get as much satisfaction out of seeing him live-if i didnt have a good seat.sometimes i cant afford the live shows but can afford the dvds.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
drwildare
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 8:53:47 AM

Waffles when I saw Leondard at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre I was in a gold Class Seat and had a great time. This time I am going platinum I believe if you can afford the money for a gold or platinum seat you shouldnt have that bad a seat and the man is definately better live than on the DVD.

The Dr is in the House
richo
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 10:27:22 PM

I got myself centre of the second row seat in the fan presale... moved up from 3rd row last year so pretty happy about that.

When it comes to the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, I'm a firm believer in paying for quality. It's such a rotten venue that I think unless you're reasonably close it's not worth even being there.
repete
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:04:22 PM

youngbill wrote:

Unless you can afford the gold or platinum tix and get right up front, you'll likely end up 100m from the stage, high in the rafters of what is little more than a glorified tin shed! After seeing Clapton/Trucks there a few years back, I promised myself never again....which is a damn shame when Leonard Cohen is in town.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 1:04:08 AM

Being culturally isolated you don't realise just how many $$$ these things are costing now! I recall seeing LC at The State Theatre about 1980- worst seat I ever had there- in the Stalls but far enough back to be under the Dress Circle and off to one side. Still I'm guessing they were a lot better than most at these larger venues, and even allowing for inflation, the $18 the seat cost (at most- faulty memory again) sounds cheap...

namaste
RR
drwildare
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 7:58:04 AM

I got the Platinum tickets in Brisbane approx $300 each. Last year I went for Gold Tix $195 each. I hope the Webb sisters will be back as his backup vocalists. I mean at Leonard's age how many more times will he tour. While he seems to enjoy touring again he is nearly or is 75 now. In anyones reckoning 75 yo for a performer isnt young.

On another note Pete why dont you try to get these two sisters for next years BluesFest

Cheers

The Dr is in the House
richo
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:40:27 AM

Webb Sisters should be back -- they're soon to be (if not already) in LA with the rest of the band rehearsing before hitting the road for the 2010 tour.
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:55:52 PM

drwildare wrote:
I got the Platinum tickets in Brisbane approx $300 each. Last year I went for Gold Tix $195 each. I hope the Webb sisters will be back as his backup vocalists. I mean at Leonard's age how many more times will he tour. While he seems to enjoy touring again he is nearly or is 75 now. In anyones reckoning 75 yo for a performer isnt young.

On another note Pete why dont you try to get these two sisters for next years BluesFest

Cheers

The Dr is in the House

Had a look at Silver tix first.........in the nosebleed seats at Acer (a few rows from the very top)........this is just wrong.

So for the extra $50 bucks, had a look at Gold. ok tix, saw Santana from about same spot, so as missed him last time (clash with other concerts/work etc), decided, it's only money.......

Postage & handling (nb regular post, not even registered post)..........$17.70..............this is just wrong!!!!! ALMOST made me change my mind.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 10:51:47 PM

Auckland prices $202.90 and $145.00
Wellington and Christchurch prices $194.90 and $138.50.
The first Wellington concert has already sold out.

If I lived in or within a couple of hours driving distance of a venue there is no doubt that I would attend.
Or if I could combine it with a business trip.

These prices are on a par with what is being charged in today's market,and if a three hour concert is on offer,this is excellent value for money.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8