Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Harry Manx Options
Dan...
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:42:07 PM
Groups: Member

I haven't seen Harry Manx in a couple of years and to be honest I was a bit reluctant to go along last night. God knows why, he was absolutely phenomenal. If you get a chance to catch him in a theatre setting (this was my first chance to do so) then don't miss it. Utterly captivating.

The poster formerly known as Dan
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:56:19 PM

His talent would be displayed to the max in an intimate theatre,as reflected in his DVD.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
mgwfall
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:56:38 PM

Dan... wrote:
I haven't seen Harry Manx in a couple of years and to be honest I was a bit reluctant to go along last night. God knows why, he was absolutely phenomenal. If you get a chance to catch him in a theatre setting (this was my first chance to do so) then don't miss it. Utterly captivating.

Did he have the Hammond Organ player (sorry don't remember his name) at this show? This is making me reluctant to see him at The Basement. Thinking of waiting for second round, hoping for a show without organ.

Last time he toured I saw him twice, The Basement show was sublime (bass & percussion, no organ). The Factory show (the one filmed by moshcam)........not nearly as good. Didn't think the organ "fitted" with Harry's music & completely unnecessary. At times swamped the beautiful guitar music.

Interested in feedback, esp if Organ player involved as still trying to decide.
Dan...
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:23:49 PM

nup, totally solo.

The poster formerly known as Dan
Sharleen7
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:42:24 PM

We saw Harry on Friday night at the Soundlounge and the organ player (Clayton Doley) was in attendance. I have to agree with you about the organ player, mgwfall. I saw Clayton with his own band and with Eugene Hideaway Bridges at Bluesfest and I liked him fine in either of these settings, but the organ didn't seem to gel with Harry's music very well and was a detraction for me, too. A solo Harry gig would have been better.

EXCESS in Moderation
mgwfall
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:40:33 PM

Sharleen7 wrote:
We saw Harry on Friday night at the Soundlounge and the organ player (Clayton Doley) was in attendance. I have to agree with you about the organ player, mgwfall. I saw Clayton with his own band and with Eugene Hideaway Bridges at Bluesfest and I liked him fine in either of these settings, but the organ didn't seem to gel with Harry's music very well and was a detraction for me, too. A solo Harry gig would have been better.

Thanks for feedback. Yep, I think I'll give this round a miss.

And Dan.....lucky you!!
marksullivan
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:10:46 AM
Groups: Guest

Followed the above with interest before seeing Harry M + Clayton at Newcastle's Lizottes last night. Intimate surrounds;warm and receptive crowd. Harry was brilliant; relaxed. Clayton (or was it David Spade/Joe Dirt) took his cues from Harry throughout 2 sessions and played with great restraint, always complementing Harry's honeyed tones and earning himself polite applause after most "solos". Very briefly during cover of "Crazy Love" did he go off on a different tangent, but brought it straight back. I would have been very disappointed had I missed it.