Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

New orleans JazzFest 2011 Options
donaldhp
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 1:18:59 AM
Groups: Guest

Going to make a concerted effort to get there next year but need to know the best steps
for booking air travel, hotels and tickets etc. If anyone can offer some guidance it would
be gratefully accepted.
Cheers, Don
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 1:47:18 PM
Groups: Member

Me too...tried to go this year but life got in the way! I asked in an earlier thread which festival in the world would you go to and there is some info here on NO:

http://forum.bluesfest.com.au/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=684

Hope to see you there

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
waffles
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 6:15:15 PM

im pretty keen on doing it myself. ive found the beale street festival in memphis,wannee festival and jazzfest are all within 3 weeks of each other.
i also want to fit in the blues trail-memphis to vicksberg,taking in all the clarksdale etc blues history. all i need is money,time,permission. no necessarily in that order.
air fares and exchange rate is not bad right now. check webjet.com. most things can be booked over the net.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
repete
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 10:15:36 PM

Hey....we should all try for a bluesfest meet-up (wearing bluesfest t-shirts of course...always a great conversation starter with the locals). There's bound to be quite a few other bluesfest veterans going as well. The other fests in the region tend to clash with jazzfest - I think Beale Street fest clashes with the second weekend, the Lafayette Internationale clashes with the first weekend and the Tampa Bay fest clashes with either one or the other! But I think there's some good little blues festivals in Mississippi after jazzfest (dammit, where's Jafa when you need him!). Although it could be a bit different next year given that Easter is so late....the dates for fest will be April 29, 30 and May 1 (first weekend) then May 5-8 (second weekend). And there's lots happening on the days and nights between, though sadly the Ponderosa Stomp has been shifted to November.

As for getting there...well, look online in a few months for flights to LA, then a connection to NOLA. With accommodation, it depends on which part of town and what type of accommodation - hotel or one of the great little B&B's (although they tend to cost more). If you want a B&B, don't leave it too late, but if you want a hotel, check out Priceline for some bargains in January (you could pick up a decent room for $US80). We've already booked accommodation for the second weekend at our favourite little B&B in Marigny and are still tossing up between jazzfest first weekend or the Lafayette Internationale. There's a heap of info in the jazzfest chatroom, or google up swagland for some great jazzfest info (check out some of the bills for early fests and be gobsmacked!). Tickets can be booked online pre-fest through Ticketmaster or book a brass pass through wwoz.org (costs a little more, but you get access to some good facilities and have the knowledge that you're supporting both local NOLA music and the best little community based radio station on the planet). Expect to pay about $US35-$US40 per day.

It's different to our bluesfest in that the festival encompasses the whole city - daytime festivities are held at the local horse racing track (the Fairgrounds) running from 11am to 7pm each day. Time to get home, shower, have a quick (or slow) bite to eat then hit the clubs. New Orleans during jazzfest is open 24 hours each day. And make sure you give yourself plenty of recovery time when you get back to Oz...you'll be exhausted (and deliriously happy).

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
donaldhp
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:10:05 AM

Alright ! A meet-up will be great.....how exciting ! Have taken step 1 and booked accommodation from 27/4 for 14 nights at Prytania Park Hotel.
Now all I need is funds, air-tickets,funds, festival tickets and a line up. And more funds. All aboard the blues plane to New Orleans !
Cheers, Don
oska
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:58:44 PM

I just got back from 2 months in New Orleans and had such a great time. If you have enough time, I'd recommend french quarter fest as well. It generally happens a couple of weeks before jazzfest. Basically there are stages spread through the quarter with great music and it's all free. I saw a few acts at both frech quarter fest and jazzfest and enjoyed all their FQF sets a lot more. More relaxed and more fun.

However, Jazzfest is definitely the one not to miss. I had an amazing week this year. Highlights:

Kenny Neal - Blues tent is pretty annoying as its full of chairs and security is savage but this didn't stop kenny neal from playing an awsome set. He did 'blues falling down like rain' as it was pouring down outside - brought back memories.
Dr John in the pouring rain was also great.
Davell crawford/Dr John/Jon Cleary jam was unbelievable, finishing with 6 hands on the same grand piano.
Simon and Garfunkel - Art had a bit of trouble hitting the high notes but Paul Simon was in top form.
Levon Helm - great to see him still going, he is still one of best drummers around and his band is very tight. A heap of guest joined in - Allen Touisant, one of the neville brothers and Dr John to name a few. Dr john did 'Such a Night' - spine tingling mment for anyone who's seen "the last waltz" concert movie.
Allman Brothers Band were my personal highlight - 2 hours of pure bliss, Dereck Trucks has to be close to the best guitar player in the world right now.
Galactic - heaps of fun
Pearl Jam - my fave band as a 12 year old - great to see
Van Morrison
Richie Havens - Nice way to finish, intense performer.

Local acts I loved and would recommend for bluesfest:
Bonerama
Johnny Sketch and the dirty notes
Anders osborne

In terms of the nightlife. I tended to frequent the Maple Leaf bar, partly because I lived close by but mostly because every act that plays there is amazing. June Yamagushi's band 'Papa grows Funk' plays there a lot. If you're staying closer into town, anywhere on Frenchman street is good, avoid Bourbon street like the plague unless you're going to see Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydecho Hellraisers at the Krazy Korner.

etgohome
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:07:54 PM

Why not Bourbon Street oska ?
ScottM
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 10:33:37 AM

oska wrote:
Dr John in the pouring rain was also great.
Davell crawford/Dr John/Jon Cleary jam was unbelievable, finishing with 6 hands on the same grand piano.
Levon Helm - great to see him still going, he is still one of best drummers around and his band is very tight. A heap of guest joined in - Allen Touisant, one of the neville brothers and Dr John to name a few. Dr john did 'Such a Night' - spine tingling mment for anyone who's seen "the last waltz" concert movie.
Allman Brothers Band were my personal highlight - 2 hours of pure bliss, Dereck Trucks has to be close to the best guitar player in the world right now.

OK, wow. What can one say?
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 2:41:32 PM
Groups: Administration

Don't let the seediness of Bourbon St be a complete turnoff....there is often really good music on show there, and in the surrounding streets and neighborhood
also checkout Frenchmen St area (Fauborg Marigny).
Get a copy of offbeat and plan your trail.
ps / Bourbon St can be empty mid week outside of main tourist season

Bboard Admin
oska
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 6:35:22 PM

etgohome wrote:
Why not Bourbon Street oska ?

Bourbon street didn't do much for me at all. Full of strip clubs, absolutely wasted people and it kinda stinks like vomit. There's plenty of music but nothing really grabbed my attention other than dwayne dopsie as I mentioned earlier. I guess you can't really visit New Orleans without going out on Bourbon street but my advice would be to make sure you have a back-up plan if it's not your thing. You can walk from Bourbon street to Frenchman street quite easily so there's your back-up plan.

Only my opinion though, maybe I didn't look hard enough. Any particular clubs on Bourbon you can recommend bluesfestadmin?
donaldhp
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:03:31 PM

Hey oska ! Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciated. Had a look at the Maple Leaf bar on the web
and it looks like a must see for sure. Will be great to see June Yamagushi on his home turf. Is it far from the last Streetcar stop ?
Cheers, Don
donaldhp
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:15:58 PM

Just subscribed to Offbeat on line so thanks bluesfestadmin. I've still got a copy from 1996
but it may be a tad out of date now !
Cheers, Don
repete
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:21:56 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Don't let the seediness of Bourbon St be a complete turnoff....there is often really good music on show there, and in the surrounding streets and neighborhood
also checkout Frenchmen St area (Fauborg Marigny).
Get a copy of offbeat and plan your trail.
ps / Bourbon St can be empty mid week outside of main tourist season

Bboard Admin

Frenchmen Street is a music lover's dream and at jazzfest time is a mini-festival on its own. BTW, in the midst of all the sleaze on Bourbon is a gem of a bar - Old Absinthe House. It's not a total tourist trap - locals still go here for a drink after work and you can sip on your absinthe in the knowledge that the likes of Oscar Wilde, Walt Whitman and Mark Twain have all drunk here. And you'll probably strike up a conversation with any of the many punters who frequent the place. And one of the surviving homes of jazz, Preservation Hall, is just off Bourbon on St Peter Street. And if you're walking along Bourbon at night from Marigny, look left when you reach Orleans Street and see the huge shadow cast by the statue of Jesus Christ - it may make you think twice about going any further!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
oska
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:30:25 PM

Hey Don,
No worries, pleasure. You need to get off the streetcar at oak street. Don't ride it all the way to the end or you'll have a bit of a walk. Also, to make a night of it I highly recommend Jaques-imo's restaurant (pronounced jackimo's) next door. Some seriously amazing food there. try the alligator sausage cheesecake. Sounds disgusting but is very tasty.
repete
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 11:01:02 PM

oska wrote:
Also, to make a night of it I highly recommend Jaques-imo's restaurant (pronounced jackimo's) next door. Some seriously amazing food there. try the alligator sausage cheesecake. Sounds disgusting but is very tasty.

The stuffed catfish ain't bad either!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
repete
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 11:21:13 PM

if y'all just wanting a little taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMGcl39t2I&feature=PlayList&p=BFB24C521E79E19E&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

...and after the intro it should cut into a great performance by Buckwheat Zydeco, followed by Sonny Landreth and Govt Mule

Hangin' out on Frenchmen