Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Great Southern Blues Festival Options
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 10:48:54 PM
Groups: Guest

http://www.bluesfestival.tv/

Anyone else going?

I'm going with a couple of mates this year & we got a rather good deal for a 2 bedroom unit with spa & great views of town & river for a very nice price.
The people we booked it from quoted a price without thinking of the fact it was fest time so a great bargain as we should be paying around $980 but we will pay $580.
I'm staying for the week they have to come home after the fest for work & were splitting the bill 3 ways - somehow i think i may of got the best end of the bargain.
greybeard
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:01:39 AM

Groups: Member

We hate organized people, you should be ashamed of your self Bing, currently I can say no more than hoping to go.
First artist announcement still a month or more away.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
youngbill
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 10:30:24 AM

I will be there. My travelling companions have scorned the move to Batemans Bay but are still going to Narooma anyway! I shall reserve my judgement. Local businesses were unimpressed by the move, although the mayor thought it a fantastic development.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 5:22:51 PM

im planning to go for the first time. is anyone driving down from sydney? if youre hiring a car,im hoping to share costs with others,and i may have an accomodation deal.

any word on artists yet?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Dan...
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 3:29:01 PM

harry manx, lock it in.

The poster formerly known as Dan
coppinafield19
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 6:00:00 PM

Dan... wrote:
harry manx, lock it in.

Then this should interest you dan
Darling Harbour Jazz & Blues Festival

From big band sets to intimate jazz sessions, the 2010 Darling Harbour Jazz & Blues Festival promises an eclectic weekend of live music from Friday 21 to Sunday 23 May.

Now in its 20th year, Sydney's biggest and best free music festival will entertain and inspire you with a stellar line up of home-grown and international jazz, soul and blues talent.

Swap your working-week blues for Friday night grooves with the funky, Afro-beat and reggae sounds of The Strides. Then take a trip to Motown and hear the greatest soul music hits courtesy of legendary trumpeter James Morrison and his 11-piece band.

On Saturday and Sunday the entertainment heats up with the rhythmic ballads of small town blues and the high energy sounds of big city jazz. From the world-renowned, deliciously addictive sound of Harry Manx to the stylised beats and trademark vocals of Ash Grunwald to the enigmatic Jeff Duff and his explosive big band.

Or, if you're looking for something a little more intimate, head to the jazz club on the deck of the South Steyne, or relax and enjoy the mellow sounds of the Jim Pennell Duo over yum cha at the tranquil Chinese Garden.

You can even grab a piece of the spotlight for yourself and show off your own jazz, blues, soul or R&B skills at the Open-Mic Stage. The best new talent will win a guest spot on the Aquashell on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

So, whether you want to be surrounded by music legends or become a legend yourself, grab your friends and head to Darling Harbour for a feast of live music this May.

greybeard
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 6:25:24 PM

Thank you, oh ye of the colorful tee shirt
This gig gets no publicity that I see, so nearly eludes me each year.
Patrick there's Lucky Oceans !

http://www.darlingharbour.com/sydney-Things_To_Do-Darling_Harbour_Jazz_and_Blues_Festival_2010-Jazz_Blues_2010_Program.htm

Friday 21 May
Aquashell
4.30pm - 5.45pm The Strides with guest Afro Moses
6.15pm - 7.30pm James Morrison Motown Show Compere George Washingmachine
7.30pm Fireworks

Saturday 22 May
Tumbalong Park
11am - 12pm John Morrison's Workshop with the Killara High School Stage Band
12.30pm - 1.45pm Backsliders
2.15pm - 3.30pm Dave Brewer Band with Lucky Oceans
4pm - 5pm Ash Grunwald

Convention Centre Forecourt
12pm - 1pm The Blues Preachers
1.30pm - 2.30pm MJ Woodbridge
3pm - 4pm Kristin Berardi

Curtain Call Lawn
12pm - 2.30pm Open Mic with MC George Washingmachine. Grab the microphone and land yourself a guest spot on the Aquashell floating stage at 4pm. Register on the day.
2.45pm - 3.30pm Charlie McMahon's Jazz Goes Walkabout (didge-infused Jazz)

Harbourside Amphitheatre
12.30pm - 1.30pm Emma Pask
1.45pm - 2.45pm Bob Bertles Jazz Syndicate
3pm - 4pm Monique Morrell
4.30pm - 5.30pm Uncle Jed

Aquashell
4pm - 5.15pm The Hands Big Band
5.45pm - 7pm Jeff Duff Orchestra plays the music of Ray Charles
Featuring: Evelyn Duprai, Steve Clisby, Juanita Tippins and Paula Baxter Compère George Washingmachine

Sunday 23 May
Tumbalong Park
11am - 12pm Sussudio Big Band
12.30pm - 1.30pm Geoff Bull's New Orleans Jazz Band
2pm - 3.15pm Mighty Reapers
3.45pm - 5pm Harry Manx (Canada)

Convention Centre Forecourt
12pm - 1pm Blaine Whittaker Quintet featuring Erina Clark
1.30pm - 2.30pm Virna Sanzone
3pm - 4pm Gerard Masters Trio

Curtain Call Lawn
12pm - 2.30pm Open Mic with MC George Washingmachine. Grab the microphone and land yourself a guest spot on the Aquashell floating stage at 4pm. Register on the day.
2.45pm - 3.30pm Urban Gypsies

Harbourside Amphitheatre
12.30pm - 1.30pm Brewster Brothers
1.45pm - 2.45pm Visions of a Nomad
3pm - 4pm the catholics
4.30pm - 5.30pm Doc Span

Aquashell
4pm - 5.15pm D.I.G
5.45pm - 7pm Stan Walker
Compère George Washingmachine

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
coppinafield19
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 7:17:09 PM

It's usually on the june long weekend but looks like it has been bought forward by a couple of weeks ..always a decent line up and best of all, Its free....
ScottM
Posted: Sunday, May 02, 2010 11:10:04 PM

Criminal that Harry Manx clashes with D.I.G. Clashes aren't just confined to Easter weekend.

Glad it's not on in June, as I wouldn't have been able to go. As it is, I may have to walk down there for a couple of those treats. Blues Preachers, Backsliders, Dave Brewer/Lucky and The Hands to finish. Nice Saturday there.
youngbill
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 12:00:51 PM

Waffles:I'm driving from Newcastle (a quaint outer lying suburb of Sydney). Not sure about passenger numbers as yet. Maybe give me a gentle reminder a bit closer to the date. Bring your raincoat.
Dan...
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 3:54:18 PM

coppinafield19 wrote:
Dan... wrote:
harry manx, lock it in.

Then this should interest you dan
Darling Harbour Jazz & Blues Festival

From big band sets to intimate jazz sessions, the 2010 Darling Harbour Jazz & Blues Festival promises an eclectic weekend of live music from Friday 21 to Sunday 23 May.

Now in its 20th year, Sydney's biggest and best free music festival will entertain and inspire you with a stellar line up of home-grown and international jazz, soul and blues talent.

Swap your working-week blues for Friday night grooves with the funky, Afro-beat and reggae sounds of The Strides. Then take a trip to Motown and hear the greatest soul music hits courtesy of legendary trumpeter James Morrison and his 11-piece band.

On Saturday and Sunday the entertainment heats up with the rhythmic ballads of small town blues and the high energy sounds of big city jazz. From the world-renowned, deliciously addictive sound of Harry Manx to the stylised beats and trademark vocals of Ash Grunwald to the enigmatic Jeff Duff and his explosive big band.

Or, if you're looking for something a little more intimate, head to the jazz club on the deck of the South Steyne, or relax and enjoy the mellow sounds of the Jim Pennell Duo over yum cha at the tranquil Chinese Garden.

You can even grab a piece of the spotlight for yourself and show off your own jazz, blues, soul or R&B skills at the Open-Mic Stage. The best new talent will win a guest spot on the Aquashell on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

So, whether you want to be surrounded by music legends or become a legend yourself, grab your friends and head to Darling Harbour for a feast of live music this May.

yep. he's coming back in august through to october though.

The poster formerly known as Dan
ScottM
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 10:31:43 PM

youngbill wrote:
Newcastle (a quaint outer lying suburb of Sydney).

Delusions of grandeur....... ;-)
youngbill
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:38:04 AM

Well a kid's gotta have a dream.
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:44:38 AM

We LIKE being un-grand in these parts!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 11:38:37 AM

Mr Bongo $580 divided by 3 divided by 7 equals $27.61 which equates to about the same as a Backpackers.

That is alot cheaper than you paid at Narooma.

I will be coming again,but I don't know about my side-kick.

He said he wants to save up enough money to shout his metalhead drum playing son an all expenses paid trip to Bluesfest 2011,so he can view musicans of the class of Narada "The Weapon" Michael Walden.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 1:40:25 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

I will be coming again,but I don't know about my side-kick.

Better get a sat nav this year....

Us Newcastle folk still chuckling over how you guys took a wrong turn at Wollongong and ended up here on your way to Narooma!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
mgwfall
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 7:58:01 PM

c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:11:56 PM

Wolf Mail will be playing Fri Oct 01 & Sat Oct 02. http://www.wolf-mail.com/fr_tourdates.cfm?events_details=3344737&back=%2Ftourdates.cfm&bq=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp0d6sROT00

I think he may have played @ narooma fest in the past.
ScottM
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:46:39 PM

Good to see that a change of dates this year hasn't affected the habit of rain for the Darling Harbour Blues and Jazz weekend....... Still tossing up a stroll down to Harry Manx this afternoon, then off to the Flood indoors in Surry Hills.
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:58:32 PM

A few others playing at batemans bay oct long weekend-I cant vouch for the accuracy as the place i got the info still advertises the event at Narooma.

Charlie Musselwhite

Blue King Brown

Xavier Rudd