Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest live streaming Options
repete
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 11:52:53 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 984
Points: 3,079
Jazzfest starts this weekend and if anyone wants to catch some live performances, get up early Sunday am and go to www.wwoz.org and follow the links.

The Campbell Brothers and the Midnite Disturbers hopefully will be streamed. If you like Robert Randolph you'll love the Campbell Brothers (bluesfest soon???) and if you liked Corey Henry's playing with Galactic at bluesfest, you'll love the Disturbers (members of Galactic and Bonearama with Trombone Shorty, Shamarr Allen and others)!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:36:08 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632
Dr John just coming on stage- thanks Pete!!! (herbert Hardestein, (not sure of the spelling but I saw him with Tom Waits 30+ years ago), on sax!)

namaste
RR
repete
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:45:50 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 984
Points: 3,079
RaucousReg wrote:
Dr John just coming on stage- thanks Pete!!! (herbert Hardestein, (not sure of the spelling but I saw him with Tom Waits 30+ years ago), on sax!)

namaste
RR


Hey Reg...Herb Hardesty!! You saw him with Tom Waits??? Gawd I'm jealous! Once upon a time he played sax with Fats Domino....a long long time ago. And he can still cut it!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:33:29 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632
repete wrote:
RaucousReg wrote:
Dr John just coming on stage- thanks Pete!!! (herbert Hardestein, (not sure of the spelling but I saw him with Tom Waits 30+ years ago), on sax!)

namaste
RR


Hey Reg...Herb Hardesty!! You saw him with Tom Waits??? Gawd I'm jealous! Once upon a time he played sax with Fats Domino....a long long time ago. And he can still cut it!


I'm assuming it's the same guy! Waits introduced him as "on the tenor saxophone, flugelhorn and trumpet, from New Orleans Lousiana, my main man, Mr Herbert Hardesty" (defering to your encyclopaedic knowledge of NO!)

I've talked about that Tom Waits set here before. It was quite amazing and was recorded by 2JJ and is out there as a bootleg but with the songs in the wrong order! Waits did a series of encores, progressively "losing" band members. The last song (second last on the bootleg) was Road To Burma Shave. Just Waits leaning on a lamp-post mid stage scatting with the sax as backing. Thinking about it sends shivers up my spine! I recorded it off the radio but the evil witch that is my ex "lost" it... C'est la vie.

namaste
RR
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:14:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632

http://www.herbert-hardesty.com/indexe.htm

He began his musical studies at the early age of 7 with private music lessons then continued his studies at Dillard University.

One day when he was playing in the school big band, he had the opportunity to play the trumpet with Chick Webb.

He also acquired additional training from big bands and small groups which performed various styles of music.

In these early days he worked with

* Don Raymond
* Sidney Desvigne
* Papa Celestin
* Herbert Leary
* Joe Robichaux
* Ivory Joe Hunter
* Joe Turner
* Gatemouth Brown
* PeeWee Crayton
* Smiley Lewis
* The Spiders
* Jewel King
* Dave Bartholomew
* Professor Longhair

Mr. Hardesty has recorded with a variety of artists in New Orleans, New York and in California.
He began his first U.S. tour with Roy Brown who was a famous New Orleans Blues singer.

Shortly after that he formed his own band.

Because of his unique solo style, he went on to record and work with many artists such as:

* Lloyd Price
* BB King
* Tom Waits
* Shirley and Lee
* Little Richard
* Tony Bennett
* Count Basie
* Duke Ellington
* Dizzy Gillespie
* Frank Sinatra
* Dr. John
* Ella Fitzgerald
* and many other famous entertainers

He is most known for his association with Fats Domino which began in 1949 where he has been the featured sax soloist for most of his recordings.

His easy, upbeat, distinctive style has been a trademark of Fats´ recordings in such selections as

* I´m Walkin´
* Old Shanty Town
* Hands Across the Table
* All By Myself
* My Blue Heaven
* Ain´t That a Shame
* I Hear You Knockin´
* When the Saints Go Marching In
* The Sheik of Araby
* Sick and tired
* Margie
* Honey Chile
* What´s the Reason I´m Not Pleasin´ You
* Let the Four Winds Blow
* Valey of Tears
* Help Me
* Don´t You Know
* I Don´t Want to Set the World on Fire
* Blue Monday and many other Domino hits

Herb Hardesty was also included in the following movie sounddracks:

* The Blues Brothers
* Any Which Way You Can
* Shake, Rattle and Rock
* The Girl Can´t Help It
* Let The Good Times Roll

Television shows on which he appeared are:

* The Merv Griffin Show
* Ed Sullivan
* David Letterman
* Steve Allen
* Dinah Shore
* Starsky and Hutch
* Andy Williams
* Perry Como

Some of Hardesty´s original compositions are

* Fats on Fire
* Adam and Eve
* Perdida Street
* Just a Little Bit of Everything
* It Must Be Wonderful and Beatin´and Blowin´

Hardesty still continous to perform with Fats Domino serving as his band director as well as appearing with other groups. Since 1970 he has been living in Las Vegas, although he still claims New Orleans as his home.

He continues to perform both in Las Vegas, New Orleans and other parts of the world.

The New Orleans Jazz Fest is marked by many years of participation by Herbert Hardesty where he has performed with

* Fats Domino
* Dave Bartholomew
* Dr. John
* George Wein

In 2000 he performed solo at the Music Heritage Stage.

In September of 2000 he was invited to Europe for a concert tour with the Barrelhouse Jazz Band from Frankfurt and 2003 from the Maryland Jazz Band of Cologne.




"You have to stay busy," Herb Hardesty says. "You know, I can´t just sit down and not play my horn. My horn is my life. I love people. I love performing for people. I love the travelling. I´m still doing it and it´s a part of my life. I always continue to do it."




Hardesty Rembers His Experiences

My stepfather was a very good friend of Louis Armstrong, who had given him a trumpet. I must have been about eight years of age. So during that period of time when carnival would come around, I would be on the porch on Claiborne and Louisiana and, every time a float would pass, I would get on the trumpet. During that time a very popular song was "The Music Goes Round and Round", and I would get out there and try to play that song.


The first time I went out on a gig, I was fifteen years old and we were on a stage in a movie theatre in Admite, Louisiana. One of the fellows gave me a drink which I thought was a soft drink and was especially tasty. When I got up to take my solo, I fell backwards into the movie screen and busted it. We ended up playing that night for free and even had to come up with extra money to help pay for the damages. Afterwards I found out that I had been given "White Lightning".
richo
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:11:54 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 227
Points: 829
RaucousReg wrote:

I've talked about that Tom Waits set here before. It was quite amazing and was recorded by 2JJ and is out there as a bootleg but with the songs in the wrong order! Waits did a series of encores, progressively "losing" band members. The last song (second last on the bootleg) was Road To Burma Shave. Just Waits leaning on a lamp-post mid stage scatting with the sax as backing. Thinking about it sends shivers up my spine! I recorded it off the radio but the evil witch that is my ex "lost" it... C'est la vie.


Granted I wasn't there (a bit before my time), but the version of the bootleg I've got from that show sounds seamless in terms of song outros fading into intros and the audience applause and has the following setlist:

Romeo Is Bleeding
Annie's Back In Town
Jitterbug Boy / Better Off Without A Wife
I Wish I Was In New Orleans
Since I Fell For You
Red Shoes
Silent Night / Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
Do The Hokey Pokey / Pasties And A G-String
Burma Shave
(Band Introductions)
Tom Traubert's Blues
Small Change


At any rate, that version of Burma Shave is mindblowing. Completely different beast from the Foreign Affairs version (in my view the best vocal delivery on any of his 70s albums). Here's a version of it from the same year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXMyBW7p9ao
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:24:18 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632
richo wrote:
RaucousReg wrote:

I've talked about that Tom Waits set here before. It was quite amazing and was recorded by 2JJ and is out there as a bootleg but with the songs in the wrong order! Waits did a series of encores, progressively "losing" band members. The last song (second last on the bootleg) was Road To Burma Shave. Just Waits leaning on a lamp-post mid stage scatting with the sax as backing. Thinking about it sends shivers up my spine! I recorded it off the radio but the evil witch that is my ex "lost" it... C'est la vie.


Granted I wasn't there (a bit before my time), but the version of the bootleg I've got from that show sounds seamless in terms of song outros fading into intros and the audience applause and has the following setlist:

Romeo Is Bleeding
Annie's Back In Town
Jitterbug Boy / Better Off Without A Wife
I Wish I Was In New Orleans
Since I Fell For You
Red Shoes
Silent Night / Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
Do The Hokey Pokey / Pasties And A G-String
Burma Shave
(Band Introductions)
Tom Traubert's Blues
Small Change


At any rate, that version of Burma Shave is mindblowing. Completely different beast from the Foreign Affairs version (in my view the best vocal delivery on any of his 70s albums). Here's a version of it from the same year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXMyBW7p9ao


There were three (or maybe even four) encores, obviously planned- the lamp post TW lent on had been standing just off centre stage since intermission! Band intros were before the first one as that was the only one with the whole band on stage- TW played piano. As I said I no longer have my copy and I'm not sure what the song was. Small Change was the second- TW played guitar and I seem to recall that was just drums, bass, sax and guitar, then Road To Burma Shave. Anyhow, it was amazing- Iwas so charged with adrenalin afterwards I walked home to North Sydney!

I wonder if the bootleg WASN'T taken from the 2JJ recording as we've always been told? Perhaps it was from another night with slightly altered set list? Honestly though, the effect was so great the way I saw it, it's hard to believe a showman like Waits would alter something that left such an impression. Any idea where you can find a copy?

namaste
RR
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:10:26 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632

Tracks frim the bootleg are on youtube EXCEPT Buema Shave but he finishes here with Small Change ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Odywa-4Pos&feature=related ). Same virtuosity displayed by TW andHH.

In the comments someone says they have it on DVD!

namaste
RR
acb
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:07:47 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 224
Points: 383
Location: Sydney
My hazy memory suggests Small Change as the final encore but I could be wrong.

What I DO recall is the show starting late because of a gear truck breakdown or similar, treating the audience to a spectacular display of lighting rigging - this was well before the OH&S epidemic, so the rigger was unencumbered by safety harness and raised a hearty round of applause when he shinnied down the scaffolding so the show could begin.

I also remember the sax player doubling on trumpet, which is a little unusual - but clearly HH has some considerable form.

A great show - I'd love to see it on DVD!

Andrew
repete
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:36:05 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 984
Points: 3,079
Thanks for the detailed background info on Herb, Reg. There would be few people, living or deceased, who have played with such an amazing array of true originators - from Duke Ellington and Count Basie to Gatemouth, Joe Turner, Dave Bartholomew and the incomparable Fess. And of course Fats and all the others!

I have been privileged to see him perform twice at the Ponderosa Stomp - first with New Orleans legends Dave Bartholomew and Wardell Quezergue and last year backing Texas Johnny Brown (who btw would be great at bluesfest!).

Regarding Tom...when I was in New Orleans last year I picked up a concert DVD - Romeo Bleeding (Live from Austin). It was recorded back in December 1978 with a setlist roughly similar to the one Richo has shown:

Summertime/Burma Shave
Annie's back in Town/I Wish I was in New Orleans/Ain't Gonna Rain
A Sweet Little Bullet from a Pretty Blue Gun
On the Nickel
Romeo is Bleeding
Silent Night (intro Waltzing Matilda!)/Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis
Small Change/Hey Big Spender/Small Change

It's great...

He's the last of the Beats....y'all are privileged to have seen him perform!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:52:13 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632
A version of Burma Shave from 79: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuaUv1Lh0iA&feature=related

I may be wrong about that set list but the man is a genius! Fascinating to listen to the different lyrice/ instrumentations and (most importantly) delivery of the different versions. The set from the State includes a MUCH better version than either of those with links here. I found one to the State Theatre version that was only the band intros! Would have settled the argument once and for all if it was there- only one night has an audible Reg whoop in it! LOL

namaste
RR
E.K
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:38:04 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/18/2010
Posts: 64
Points: 113
Location: Far North Coast, NSW
Thanks.. I wouldn't mind tuning in to listen to Pearl Jam's set on Saturday afternnon. I still can't believe they're playing at that thing.
richo
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:37:18 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 227
Points: 829
RaucousReg wrote:

I wonder if the bootleg WASN'T taken from the 2JJ recording as we've always been told? Perhaps it was from another night with slightly altered set list? Honestly though, the effect was so great the way I saw it, it's hard to believe a showman like Waits would alter something that left such an impression. Any idea where you can find a copy?


I think it's definitely the same recording as Triple J played a significantly edited/shortened version a couple of years ago and it sounded pretty much the same.

There's a blog out there somewhere that has stacks of links to downloads of a colossal number of TW bootlegs from the early 70s up to today and it'll surely have this one. I can't find it now but if I do come across it I'll post it up here somewhere. The Sydney 1979 boot typically goes by "Cold Beer On A Hot Night" if you want to try and track it down yourself.
gerardf
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 10:51:48 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 103
Points: 198
Location: Maitland, NSW
richo wrote:
RaucousReg wrote:

I wonder if the bootleg WASN'T taken from the 2JJ recording as we've always been told? Perhaps it was from another night with slightly altered set list? Honestly though, the effect was so great the way I saw it, it's hard to believe a showman like Waits would alter something that left such an impression. Any idea where you can find a copy?


I think it's definitely the same recording as Triple J played a significantly edited/shortened version a couple of years ago and it sounded pretty much the same.

There's a blog out there somewhere that has stacks of links to downloads of a colossal number of TW bootlegs from the early 70s up to today and it'll surely have this one. I can't find it now but if I do come across it I'll post it up here somewhere. The Sydney 1979 boot typically goes by "Cold Beer On A Hot Night" if you want to try and track it down yourself.


For all Tom Waits info go here http://www.tomwaitslibrary.com/

or you could become a Raindog by joining up here https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=RAINDOGS with the rest of us Tom Waits nuts and if you ask nicely someone will have the bootleg you want.



Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.274 seconds.