Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Audio Options
bass0pierre0
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2010 4:58:34 PM
Groups: Member

Dear Administrators,

Congratulations on a fine Festival of music! The complement of bands you provided access to was rich & inspiring!

I was impressed with your new venue; it has much to recommend it, location, parking, good food & good coffee.

You’ve come a long way from my first experience of the mud puddles of 1992 & 1994 when I had the pleasure of being involved as a performer with Sydney blues pianist & singer Don Hopkins – Donny Hop & The Kings of Bop.

I have a few concerns that will leave me pondering the worth of investing in another 5 day ticket next time:
The hour it took me to get out of your car park at the end of any day;
The inability to enjoy the experience inside any of the tent stages, due to inordinately loud audio and in all cases, specifically thunderous BASS,
[and I’m a bassplayer!] Just ‘cause you got it don’t mean you have to flaunt it! Jack Johnson gig, when the bassist hit a low G, anything else was obliterated.

And when I chose my comfort zone outside the tent, I couldn’t distinguish my chosen event because I was too close to another thundering P.A., often 2 or 3 in fact;

Dr John was the closest to reasonable levels, I actually managed to keep to my spot front & centre, and 25 metres back with the aid of my earplugs.

There is also some confusion about the ability to choose your days on a 3 day ticket. The information on your website points me to a committed fri/sat/sun obligation, where a local informed me he was given the option to choose any 3 days by applying to a local retail outlet?

As a musician [of 35 years experience at all levels, corner Pub to Concert hall, Corporate gigs to Music theatre and studio] a sound engineer and an event manager, I find it hard to believe you didn’t see the worth in having a stage manager at each venue who’s primary function was to see that sound, in my view the point of this whole exercise, was managed?

I saw Gary Hall, one of our great Australian sound engineers last day at the Béla Fleck gig sitting idle & bleary-eyed at an inoperative desk while the touring engineer pummeled our senses from the other and I’m looking forward to his feedback next time we meet professionally at Darling Harbor or Sydney Olympic Park.

I would be interested to know if I am a small dissenting voice in a sea of satisfied punters. I appreciate growing pains, new venue etc, but I spent too much of my festival cringing in fear of harming my greatest asset as a music lover & practitioner, my ears!
annie2
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:14:20 PM

firstly great sight fantastic music will be back for my 12 year already have book accommodation
am glad to hear that someone who is a professional had the same experience as me i thought it may just be age
i had to leave colin haye as the bass was thumping and giving me a sick feeling the sound was better in the food tent
watched lyle lovett from up the back area and the noise from the indig tent was so loud that i could understand some of the words
very few people /bands seemed to get the sound correct there were exceptions i have always believe a good sound man makes a band i agree with your idea of a stage manager would help
love the festival had a great time even though walking was difficult for me i just choose a tent set my chair up and listen to some wonderful music for 5 days well done bluesfest team
RaucousReg
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:16:01 PM

annie2 wrote:
watched lyle lovett from up the back area and the noise from the indig tent was so loud that i could understand some of the words

Emphasis mine!

namaste
RR
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 9:09:02 AM

RaucousReg wrote:
annie2 wrote:

Emphasis mine!

namaste
RR

Mine to....

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bluescale
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 7:22:15 PM

As a Sound Engineer, I 100% agree with bassO.