Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Did you see The Dynamites, Dr John, Gipsy Kings, Old Crow Medicine Show, Josh White Jr., etc Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:23:08 AM
Groups: Administration

Hi,
Management of the above bands - plus Old Crow medicine Show, Justin townes Earle, Ozomatli, John Mayall, Taj Mahal and quite a few others have asked how their performances were received at Bluesfest..... and as there has not been much on the BBoard about them, was wondering if anyone would like to start a thread to give information

thanks
BBoard Admin
ScottM
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:05:55 PM
Groups: Member

As far as who I saw - Old Crow had the place eating out of the palm of their hands (and rightfully so), JTE was fantastic (and went to his Sydney show later that week which was even better), John Mayall I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed by personally (went to the Saturday set only, and I can understand as he is obviously getting on in years), The Dynamites were very tight and reminded me of the Bamboos (that's a compliment), Gipsy Kings absolutely lifted the roof off Crossroads - I have never been part of a BF reaction quite like that. Dr John was well loved and excellent as always, but I agree with a sentiment that I read saying his heart didn't seem 100% in it.

And that's the only ones of the acts mentioned that I caught this year.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:09:39 PM

I am trying to ration myself to two posts per day,and have quite a few threads to open.

I will comment on John Mayall,Peter Green,Jeff Beck,The Dynamites,Eugene Bridges,Old Crow Medicine Show,The Break,Mojo Webb,Ray Beadle,Wagons,Robert Gordon etc,Galactic,Imelda May,Buddy Guy,Lyle Lovett,The Flatlanders,Ray Beadle,Johhny Green's Blues Cowboys,Dr John,Jools Holland.

Some of these artists already have threads,so if someone else wants to open,I will follow in due course.....

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
repete
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:29:19 PM

Basically ditto to everything that Scott said. Old Crow Medicine Show were one of the unexpected delights of the fest for me; went to L'il Band of Gold on Sat night, then ran to Crossroads just as the Gypsy Kings launched into Bombalero - only song I saw but it was fantastic and agree with Scott, their reception was huge! I would see Dr John singing through a snorkle and playing a kazoo, so my opinion is hardly objective - of course I loved seeing him (always do) and on the Friday I am sure he was enjoying himself - it's rare he gets up and dances! BTW, I rank David Barrand as one of the hottest bass players on the planet. I thoroughly enjoyed John Mayall - perhaps it's nostalgia (he was the first international act I ever saw back in '72). JT Earle is wonderful - is it just me or do others get a sense of him channelling Hank? Finally, the Dynamites/Charles Walker were what I needed on Friday!! Hot, sweaty and funky soul music - another highlight of the fest.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
blackdoug
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:40:57 PM

I have been a John Mayall fan for 35 years.He has had an incredible line up of great talent play with him over that time,and I consider him one of the most under-rated blues guys around.I really enjoyed his show,especially because he played a lot of his early music,which is the first blues music I listened to back then.Any of you who have not heard a lot of his music,should check out the stuff he has played over the years,with Eric Clapton,John McVie,Peter Green,Ainsley Dunbar,Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones),Jack Bruce(Cream),Mick Fleetwood,Georgie Fame,Walter Trout,and many others who went on to other great bands.
It was sad to see Peter Green(ex John Mayall) struggle with some of his set,BUT,it was an honour and absolute pleasure to see one of the greats in person,possibly for the last time in this country.
Taj Mahal was great. Right music,right mood,and right number of Bourbons when heard his set.
Dr John,Eugene Bridges Ditto.

My wife and I thought the mix of artists this year was fantastic.Few beaut surprises for us,including,Tribali,Joanne Shaw taylor and the Blues Cowboys.

Only criticism of the music was the "bleed" as some are calling it,between the tents.

There is a blues-man in West End, Brisbane,who would be fantastic for a small venues at BF.His name is Blind Dog Donnie.We would like to see him and other artists in a small bar area,much like the clubhouse at Red Devil.
richo
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 4:05:09 PM

Just a few honest thoughts on a couple of them:

Justin Townes Earle - only caught a couple of songs because of clashes. But liked what I saw and picked up his latest album this morning. I'm definitely keen to catch him next time he's in the country, whether with Bluesfest or on his own tour.

Taj Mahal - Honestly not his best show at Bluesfest, but still one of my highlights for the weekend.

John Mayall - Good stuff considering the history, but as others have said, he's getting up in the years and he certainly doesn't have the youthful exuberance of a Buddy Guy, the charm of a B.B. King or Willie Nelson, or the enigma of a Bob Dylan to carry him through. Thought it was just a bit plodding, especially with the keyboard... "Grandad's got a blues band" sort of vibe... well suited to his mid-afternoon slots I thought. All said and done I'd have willingly see him at Bluesfest again down the track.
ScottM
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 5:13:45 PM

repete wrote:
JT Earle is wonderful - is it just me or do others get a sense of him channelling Hank?

I'll agree with that. And it isn't just trendy imitation. It is filled with sincerity and a genuine appreciation for "the way things used to be done". He's done his homework.
waffles
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 6:43:07 PM

would have to agree with blackdoug re peter green struggling.i am currently listening to peter green with nigel watson-the robert johnson songbook.
liner notes state peters fragile state and recovery from lsd induced dilemma. as they say peters been to his crossroads,met his devil and lived to recover,if slowly.
but the cd is a great interpration of robert johnsons music.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
janetk
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 7:14:56 PM

This was my first Bluesfest – went to explore new music as I’ve never really been into Blues, and thought what better way to check it out. I’m a convert, and Dr John and Taj Mahal contributed (went back for seconds for both and bought CDs after).

They were amongst the bands/artists that drew me in and took it to the next level for me, at least in part because they clearly loved what they were doing – passion, energy and fun – as well as great talent/music. I’ve no history to compare them to, so if this year was below scratch for them I’m sorry I didn’t get into blues years ago.

Other acts that hooked me in - Cousin Harley, Mojo Webb, Lil Band o’ Gold, Buddy Guy, Joe Bonamassa and so many more (amazing festival – range and quality of music – thank you).