Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

snowdroppers Options
waffles
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:39:48 PM
Groups: Member

while i had never seen this band before,i had an image of a 30s-40s style blues band.something along the lines of c.w.stoneking. probably the suits,hats and haircuts set up that image in my head.
what i found was a high energy ,full on jump up and down band.i was impressed with the lead singer,who i thought was a great frontman and a
great personality.but i didnt relate them to 30-40s blues.
anyone seen them more,what are their shows normally like?.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
littlewillie
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 8:23:06 AM

After all the talk on the forum I purchased their CD before the festival so knew roughly what to expect to hear at their gig.
The CD doesn't really prepare you for the show that you get along with the music , which is the clincher for me. Their first show in particular the frontman was going ballistic and at one stage threw a near full beer can into the audience, all in fun though.
Sorry waffles but I don't know what their shows normally like but I suspect you couldn't really change the formula too much.
mediumsizewalter
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 8:31:28 AM

waffles wrote:
while i had never seen this band before,i had an image of a 30s-40s style blues band.something along the lines of c.w.stoneking. probably the suits,hats and haircuts set up that image in my head.
what i found was a high energy ,full on jump up and down band.i was impressed with the lead singer,who i thought was a great frontman and a
great personality.but i didnt relate them to 30-40s blues.

I had seen these guys before & they have the fashion down but the music is no where near the mark. They put on a great show & the front man has good presence. But honestly how could they capture the 1930's feel that CW Stoneking & The Blues Preachers do so well. These guys are kids with attitude it takes years to get the fingerpicking & harmonica skills of a true bluesman.

I like there show but they are by no means playing the music they dress like. Its way closer to punk.
mediumsizewalter
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 8:38:27 AM

littlewillie wrote:
Their first show in particular the frontman was going ballistic and at one stage threw a near full beer can into the audience, all in fun though.
Sorry waffles but I don't know what their shows normally like but I suspect you couldn't really change the formula too much.

Would Robert Johnson Son House Skip James or even Taj Mahal or Buddy Guy throw a beer in the crowd.
No No No
That aint Blues thats more like Johnny Rotten thats punk
Cant dress up a black cat & pretend its a dog
pentatonic
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 6:09:52 PM
Groups: Guest

Definitely more punk than blues.....with some pretty vulgar lyrics too.

Not my style, and I suspect a a style that will definitely change the vibe of Bluesfest if continued.