Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Security Observations Options
today4644
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:24:48 PM
Groups: Member

Monday Evening just prior to commencement of The Fray there was some commotion in front of the Ferris wheel. I noticed a large group of teenagers converging in a circle and some heated activity in the middle. Upon reporting to the men at the Ferris wheel that security was required i was told they were on their way and there was a security officer already dealing with the situation. I said "Well he's obviously not doing much" and at that moment another patron came up making the exact same comment.
I continued to observe the friction escalating and noticed the security guard dispersing from the crowd.
I hope someone from the Bluesfest administration reads this and forwards this on as i want it known that he in-fact was doing the right thing and security should be commended. Upon reflection of the situation I realise that he couldn't really do much on his own with the amount of people in that group. I realise he would only have been putting himself at risk. I noticed once security and police arrived the offenders were immediately removed. One fellow who dispersed from the crowd and stood back watching others being removed was soon also detained and removed much to his surprise, after being identified by the first security officer as an offender. I believe that what the guard was in fact doing, whilst he was on his own, was observing who the troublemakers were therefore enabling him to point them out when the other officers arrived. I was impressed.
Well done security!
Another thing i noticed at the MOJO tent, (during the Fray), was a Security Guard approached a teenager up the front with a can. He calmly took it from his hand, emptied its contents and discarded the empty can on the ground. The young boy just stood there dumbfounded. I believe he did this to avoid it being thrown. Once again: Well done security!
I observed at least 4 cans being thrown over the crowd and at one point a plastic bottle was thrown onto the stage going under the piano that was being played. It is impossible for the guards to prevent this kind of action. It disgusted me and I would make suggestion that in future cans be banned. Cant beers be poured into plastic cups?
Fairs
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:48:07 PM

The throwing of cans and water bottles was never a problem during the first 4 days of the festival - until Monday when the local teenagers converged, then it became a free for all - drinking (saw one swigging from a red wine bottle which was obviously nicked from the bar), smoking, talking on mobile phones during sets, running through crowds with hands linked (saw them knock some older people over), and generally being loud and obnoxious. Was glad they were only there for one day, I would have been at the end of my tether if I had to put up with such behaviour over 5 days.
Fairs
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:49:44 PM

That being said, congrats to the kids who were there with their families who were obviously there to enjoy and appreciate the music - not to get p*ssed and cause mischief
andrewhyde
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:49:56 PM

Fairs wrote:
The throwing of cans and water bottles was never a problem during the first 4 days of the festival - until Monday when the local teenagers converged, then it became a free for all - drinking (saw one swigging from a red wine bottle which was obviously nicked from the bar), smoking, talking on mobile phones during sets, running through crowds with hands linked (saw them knock some older people over), and generally being loud and obnoxious. Was glad they were only there for one day, I would have been at the end of my tether if I had to put up with such behaviour over 5 days.

yep, i saw them jumping the fences, drinking, fighting and dealing tabs.
distinctlyme
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:50:19 PM
Groups: Guest

I also noticed some lovely behaviour in the MOJO tent on Monday night. About half-way through Newton Faulkner about a dozen 12-15 year old kids squished their way to the middle of the tent, standing in front of me swigging from 3 700ml glass bottles of Vodka. I possibly would have left them alone but they were absolutely feral (pushing each other around, falling over, yelling and making rude comments) so I found security at the front and let them know. Unfortunately by the time security came to find the kids they had moved futher into the crowd and I don't think he managed to catch them.
nickfromsydney
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:55:53 PM

Next time all those crazy kids are at Bluesfest to see 'The Fray' or whatever, we should all group together and run through the Mojo tent singing some John Lee Hooker at the tops of our voices ;)