Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Can We Help?? Options
hipgrave
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:59:26 AM
Groups: Guest

Hello Peter – I endorse all the other congratulatory posts. You put on a great festival, helped in no small way by fine weather.

From memory, you were only given a three year permit to run the festival at the new site, which is hardly an incentive to invest in necessary long term infrastructure such as permanent toilets, drainage, all weather carparking etc etc.

I think you now have a good case to go to Byron Shire Council and ask, based on this year’s success, that your remaining two year permit be extended to say ten years. This would give you the confidence to borrow/spend to make a great festival even better.

Would you like us to all write to Mayor Jan Barham urging her to agree to a permit extension??
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:24:56 AM

Groups: Member

Building permanent structures for just 5 days use a year may be uneconomic, and could give opposition groups ammunition to say
that there is a secret plan to expand to use.
But if an on line petition is useful I'm in.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:10:21 AM

i agree with greybeard that for 5 days a year,permanent structures may not be viable.i think they also want to continue to use it as a t-tree farm for the rest of the year.i think it is a 5 year permit.i think the infastructure can only improve in the coming years.
the only glaring problem is the parking-or the getting out of the carpark.
the traffic flow needs to be devided into north bound and south bound closer to the carpark.the north bound held up the south bound.
i thought southbound traffic was going to use a southern carpark and access the road parellel to the highway.apparently a few smart punters did this and had no problem.
i know the last few months of rain on the north coast held up construction work.
this to me would solve this issue.develop a southern carpark.
other than that i see no issues that should bother the local council-but they are councillors and you never know.
police seemed happy-no serious issues.140 odd WARNINGS on pot use(under a gram)and a few for pocession.
the ferris wheel issue is out of bluesfest control and ended up not too serious ,thank god.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Fairs
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:43:32 PM

Well, having worked with the crew from the Meredith Music Festival/Golden Plains via the community tucker tent, they have over the years put in permanent infrastructure - the site is a working farm during the year and is used for 6 days a year for music festival purposes. They have installed organic toilets, shower blocks and the Community Tucker 'Tent' has also been constructed to stay there year round. The stage is also permanent.

There are options for organisers, they just have to work out the viability - Meredith and Golden Plains are a lot smaller is scale, but I am sure they could provide ideas. They also have food vans driving through the campsites in the morning selling breakfast, something there wasn't a lot of at Byron - a few more food stalls, running after the festival in the campsite would be cooooooool!

waffles
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:47:17 PM

just a few more suggestions......
the plastic wrapped hay bales worked well but maybe need to be extended further .
the big screens are a great idea,maybe one outside crossroads at the back -to ulitise the open space-then people with chairs could sit outside and
there wouldnt be such a push inside.maybe if the coffee area was closer people could view the screen from there.
ditto for the left hand side of jambalaya,this is a great open area,and a screen would make it easier for chair people to sit outside and view the artists.the sound was still alright out there.
overall,if its possible to open the viewing area up there wouldnt be such a crush inside.
i too believe chairs should not be forward of the mixing desk-and im a chair person.
maybe raised walkways between tents.in 5 metre lengths that could be taken up and stored year to year.
http://www.replas.com.au/ supply recycled plastic sleepers etc such as those used in the new walkway at lennox point.
these arent complaints,just suggestions to make our festival better.
ps the disabled areas were great-the crossroads one was full quite often.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:19:07 PM

while they mightn't be everyone's cup of tea, the meredith/golden plain organic toilets are very good and i can't imagine they would cost too much to build and maintain.

The poster formerly known as Dan