Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Cameras Options
pattymate
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 10:53:32 AM
Groups: Member

Had a great time on Friday, very impressed by the new venue and the smooth operation, making it very easy to access the campsites and venue. However, there was an issue that almost spoilt the whole thing for me, and that was the lack of consistency in relation to cameras. I was stopped at the main gate and refused entry because of my camera, a cheap Canon SLR with a small lens - a very amateur outfit indeed, which a "professional" would politely turn their nose up at. According to the security staff, their brief was to ban "professional" camera equipment, specifying cameras with detachable lenses. I had read nothing about any policy on what type of camera one could take into the venue, but, despite assuring the attendant that my camera was not professional, complied with his interpretation and returned the camera to my vehicle. On returning to the venue, it wasn't long before I started seeing cameras equal to, or greater than my own, carried by folk (mostly pretty girls) at all parts of the festival grounds. Out of curiosity - and a deepening sense of looming injustice - I asked many of these people about their status, and how they managed to enter the venue with their cameras. All answers were similar - they were not professional, - they were not part of any authorised groups, - they walked into the venue unchallenged. With this information I returned to the main gate to discuss my findings with the security people in the hope that they may agree to allow my camera in (as I saw the opportunity , as an amateur, to try some shots of the grounds and superb acts). I was met with a blank "official" wall, denying that there were any cameras in the venue, except for those used by authorised photographers, and designated photographic groups. My frustration with this heavy handed approach, and unrealistic application of their interpretation of what constitutes a "professional" camera, caused me much grief, particularly when I continued to see folk using their cameras for the rest of the day. I am a fair minded person and have no problems with rules, as such. What I do have a problem with is inconsistency, injustice and downright pigheadedness - qualities I would not expect to associate with such a splendid festival. My obvious reaction to all this is to appeal to festival management to clarify the camera policy - if there is one - and make sure that their security staff are consistent with whatever their "brief" is.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:14:54 AM

the inconsistancy is with the security staff,i would have just put it at the bottom of a bag ,and tried another staff member.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 10:02:15 AM

My reply removed...

namaste
RR
neonblade
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:18:05 AM

Yeah stupid inconsistencies about cameras. A security guy came up and told me I couldn't use my camera with "that thing" attached. That thing was my Lens hood. And I too saw plenty of non-press with better cameras than mine at the venue, and heaps of people recording performances on their digital phones.
With digital phones with built-in 8mp cameras available, where do you draw the line?
Anyway, my pics are
HERE

Slide Guitar for Beginners

Blues and Bluegrass T-shirts and stuff
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:27:20 AM

neonblade wrote:
Yeah stupid inconsistencies about cameras. A security guy came up and told me I couldn't use my camera with "that thing" attached. That thing was my Lens hood. And I too saw plenty of non-press with better cameras than mine at the venue, and heaps of people recording performances on their digital phones.
With digital phones with built-in 8mp cameras available, where do you draw the line?
Anyway, my pics are
HERE

For years I have advocated the obvious- a ban on all mobile phones

namaste
RR
nickfromsydney
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:11:12 PM

For me, that would certainly bring back a small element of festival fun. A few years back we used to never take our phones to Red Devil Park because there was no coverage there. So we'd have meeting times and places and that was all part of the fun too. :P

It's nice to be able to call and message people though to organise meeting up, but I certainly could do without my phone at Bluesfest.
mgwfall
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:32:16 PM

waffles wrote:
the inconsistancy is with the security staff.

That goes with the taking of a souvenier video.

That big guy in Crossroads (can we vote him off The Island!!) was obsessed. The tent could have been burning down, bombs exploding, people knifing each other.......& he wouldn't have noticed.......unless someone was videoing them, & then they would have been the ones getting into strife.

Either he was over interpreting the rules, or Peter, you can save a stack load on wages, because, on this issue, no other security person was doing their job. Maybe they just considered other things of more importance.

On the Map, Essential info & Daily Playing Schedule you get on the way in, it says "Leave at home.....video recorders." That could be interpreted as machines where that is their primary purpose, not a machine (mobile phone, still camera) where it's an additional extra.

And if the concern re no videos is copyright, ask the bands. Many bands, especially up & coming ones welcome the exposure. Was talking to the guys from Carney after they had made a comment re their first show last year only having "20 people", to say I was one of the "20" (there were more than that) & have seen all 5 of their Bluesfest shows & have some vids on youtube & were they ok with that. The reply was not that they were ok with that, but that that was great, thanks for putting them up there.

And for festivals, many people do research on youtube for acts they are not familar with. Yes, you can listen to the myspace pages streaming music, but that doesn't always give you an idea of what they are like live.

So why are videos considered so evil???

bmrider53
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:07:02 AM

Very inconsistent - walked in on Thursday and bags weren't even checked. But there were very many professional cameras there. Have even bought a compact as have had to take lenses or camera back to car a few times. Compact is great during the day in the light, but not very good for night as very noisy.
But the security guard at Crossroads took another's SLR, with excellent lens, and kept it but gave it back for him to take some photos of Guy and Beck with the "festival photographers" (where do we get to see their photos??).
What compacts have great lenses?
linc71
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:44:17 PM

I agree many large lens cameras were spotted?? however my reason for taking small video clips of each gig on my mobile phone is purely to be able to remember all the gigs by the end of the five days....I dont know about anyone else but there is way too many awsome artists to remember them all...I must add to this, I dont come to the festival to only see the music... meeting people, having a few drinks, letting my hair down, enjoying the festival atmosphere, does inevitably leave me with a cloudy memory. For the rest of the year this is all i have to reflect and relive this unbelievable festival both for myself and future promotion to friends and potential bluesfesters next year. Banning mobile ph is a stupid idea.
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:26:21 PM

linc71 wrote:
I agree many large lens cameras were spotted?? however my reason for taking small video clips of each gig on my mobile phone is purely to be able to remember all the gigs by the end of the five days....I dont know about anyone else but there is way too many awsome artists to remember them all...I must add to this, I dont come to the festival to only see the music... meeting people, having a few drinks, letting my hair down, enjoying the festival atmosphere, does inevitably leave me with a cloudy memory. For the rest of the year this is all i have to reflect and relive this unbelievable festival both for myself and future promotion to friends and potential bluesfesters next year. Banning mobile ph is a stupid idea.

Two points: First lens size is not the issue, detachability is. This is stated clearly on the BF site and has been the "rule" since the Saturday of BF 2006; may have been the Sunday may have been 2005. Coincidentally this was the year the nerw "security" contractors took over. Prior to that a professional camera was one with a lens over a certain size, after that an SLR! Strange but true and that has been a condition ever since and publicly stated as such. Of course it would make more sense to have a rule based on size/ magnification etc but think of the difficulties associated with such a (logical) rule- every camera and lens checked and specs compared to a standard, an activity which requires much more time esp given those who would be enforcing it!!!

Second, a ban on mobile phones is a difficult but tremendous idea. Gone is illegal taping, videoing etc. Gone are drunken teenagers screaming into them to be heard over the music. Gone are pholk's interminable calls to their buddies trying to find each other- try talking before hand and making arrangements. Most importantly, NOT having one (virtually) surgically attached would be good for those, such as yourself, who have some strange psychological depency regarding always carrying one.

namaste
RR