Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How's BluesFest 2010 stacking up?? Options
kai
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 7:56:11 AM

Groups: Member

Circumstances wouldn't permit me attending this year so my good friend and fellow DJ, Anthony, will be my eyes and ears. In fact he will be representing The Blues Room and Community Radio Hamilton. We will hopefully bring you some cool memories of BluesFest 2010 in the not too distant future, stay tuned to The Blues Room for more details.

Any pics or reviews of your favorite BluesFest 2010 moment would be cool to see.

Talk soon.
: )

Musical Sauce: Blues/Soul/Swing & Ska/Reggae/Rocksteady/Dub
gibosity
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 10:27:31 PM

Joe Bonamassa was INCREDIBLE! I'd heard the reports but was amazed at what I witnessed - I am now a fan for sure!

And after being a fan for 12 years, i was not disappointed by Dr John and the Lower 911 - with Herlin Riley on drums! As a drummer who loves N'Orlins funk, this was a real treat!

Jeff Beck was good, although something didn't seem right in his set. Anyone else agree? Technically, there was some amazing stuff, but the band didn't feel tight and looked a bit unsure about endings etc. Was it just me?

The site was great, and despite a few crowded moments, I was really impressed overall. I hope to be back in 2011!!!!
BluesonlyBlues
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:29:34 PM

Have to agree re Joe Bonamassa. Blew me away. Sensational. Went back again tonight just in case it was a fluke. It wasn't. :) Buddy Guy was simply brilliant. Jools Holland was great to.

Only neg is trying to listen to Lyle Lovett and could hardly hear because the music from the next stage was overpowering. Was really disappointing especially when he was playing slow and talking. Couldn't hear a thing up near the back. Even the sound guys were aware of it.
pentatonic
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2010 11:36:26 PM
Groups: Guest

Yep, Joe has been the best of show by a long way (at least for me). He's in another class altogether.

Got some great video footage of him doing Sloe Gin.

Met a lady at the music shop there who was looking through the Joe CD's. She had never heard of him before and was blown away. She told me that if she went home now (after seeing him), she would be completely satisfied.

Rack up another fan.

waffles
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:41:43 AM

re jeff beck.i love the guy and his music but i still think he needs vocals. when rhonda smith sang TAKE YOU HIGHER it lifted everything.
i thought her bass and narada michael drums were real tight.i think a much better band than last time i saw them-and im a big taj wilkenfeld fan.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
downs1
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 12:36:46 PM

2 hours waiting for a bus to byron ruined what was otherwise a good day.
gibosity
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 12:48:48 PM

Not to rub salt, but I got out of the carpark in 10 mins on Friday night.

Having said that, Jeff Beck finished at 10:15 and I hit the road. That could have something to do with it:) And while I think of it, regards to the BF crew for not charging for parking! I was expecting to pay some exorbitant amount and so was pleasantly surprised to find it was free. An admirable getsure from the BF team!

andrerossouw
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 1:36:24 PM

My first Bluesfest and 10 out of 10. Great venue.
Drove down from Gold Coast Friday morning with my 20yo son and used on-site free parking. We saw Joe Bonamassa, Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck and a bit of Rodriguez, all of whom I was a fan of. They were all great. We also discovered a few new acts : I saw Joanne Shaw Taylor and had to buy her CD. Played it twice on the way home that night. My son bought a Chase the Sun CD and got it autographed by the guys.
Hope to be a regular in years to come.

Only complaint would be the price of CD's at the Music shop stall vs their own online prices eg 2010 Bluesfest compilation $30 vs $23?

Dan...
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 4:14:11 PM

was my tenth on the trot and it was one of the best.

The poster formerly known as Dan
hshearer
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:22:46 AM

I always love listening to Eugene Hideaway Bridges, he's a true bluesman, though I did wonder why he was playing in Jambalaya, and the even smaller Apra, and some relative unknown (at least to me) in the much larger Mojo. Also loved Grace Barbe, Oumou Sangare and Bela Fleck, Daniel Champagne, Lyall Lovett, Jason Isbell, Old Crow Medicine Show, and of course, perennial favourites Ozomatli and Blue King Brown. Disappointed with Dan Sultan, he seems to foregone his gorgeous almost Elvis like vocals and heartfelt lyrical style for some boring pub rock band type music; also Jeff Beck and Crowded House were pretty ordinary (but I was never a fan anyway). Major congrats on new venue, was fantastic, way less crowding than previous years, and despite some early trepidations about non choice of campsite, was pleasantly surprised...toilets were pretty foul though, but the poo crew had their, er, job cut out for them!
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:30:52 AM

congatulations,bluesfest team! another great festival,probably the best. great range of talent and styles.i couldnt believe i could see so much good music in one weekend.
i thought to meet fellow posters and give ROCKWIZ a go,id register as WAFFLES,which gave the host a bit of fun.wasent approached by any posters,but met a shitload of really nice people who wanted to know about the name.
food was great especially the thai and iron wok noddles,i gave the girls some easter eggs for being so friendly.
ROSS WILSON was a great show,althought i thought his voice had faded a bit over the years,still some great memories.he made my weekend when he did the classic-baby let me bang your box-one of my old daddy cool favourites that i had mentioned in the Q & A section ofv this forum.
all in all a great time and met some great people,hope to see them again.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
sheri1982
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:55:59 PM

This was my 4th year and i think it was my favourite! Wasn't originally keen on the change of venue but it didn't take long to realise it was most def a better set up - i loved that the stages weren't so far apart like they were at Belongil.
The line up was killer this year, I just wondered around following my ear and discovered so many great bands I have never even heard of, really impressed with the Fumes and Snowdroppers, not to mention the Barons of Tang!
It's only been over for 1 day and already I cant wait until next year!! :) What a great festival!
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:48:31 PM

My 7th in a row, and it was the best. Well done to the organisers for serving up a tremendous weekend. I'll put together a more thorough review of what I saw when I get the chance.
girlinahat
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:01:14 PM

I was glad to have the BluesFest moved to the new site, as someone coming from Northern direction. However, I did think that with so much more space, the tents would be adequate distances so as not to cause so much interference with eachothers sound. Utilising the big screen area late on Sat night due to having tired kids we weren't able to hear Jack Johnson over the Apra tent( which is what we did quite happily last year for John butler) and even sitting right in the middle of the Jambalaya for Hideaway on Sunday arvo we could hear too much of what was happening next door.
The level of wood chip was excellent, more toilet locations highly appreciated, as was the free parking but maybe more prominent exit signs would avoid the gridlock on Saturday night ( 2 hours to get to the highway).
Some very classy acts, Bonamassa, Beck, Buddy and Hideaway couldn't be topped. I disagree with 'Waffles' that Jeff needs to sing. He is a premo guitarist and his trio were equally as adept on their gear.
Thanks again team. See you next year.
fishfeeder
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:36:07 PM

Have to say it was a fantastic bluesfest for me (4th in a row). the venue was great and well thought out except for a few problems that could be fixed very easy.

1. Five day campers should get atleast a shower block at there area.
2. Lights in the toilets at camp sites
3. Toilets cleaned each day (maybe every second day, if people could see to do there business)
4. A place to buy smokes, instead of having to goto the servo.

Thats all we had a problem with the whole 5 days there.

Artists were way above my expectations and blew me away !!!
The people at the gates were friendly and helpfull.
The people walking around picking up rubish were only to happy to take your rubish away for you, top marks to them all for keeping the place extreamly clean.
Food was fantastic and the beer was cold.

Looking forward to next years allready...
DavoDuncs
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 9:13:11 PM

Hey guys,first festival for me and was blown away.After seeing jBonamassa could have gone home happy.Also went to 10cc that was amazing and having the opportunity to see legends the calibre of John Mayall was fantastic. Eugene Bridges was also excellent and not having seen or heard of him before it was great to be able to buy one of his CD's from the shop with the assistance of a very helpful staff member.Variety of food was great and the quality was reasonable,guys at the gate were friendly and overall it was a great experience.I have some suggestions, one of which is about seating and is based on what is done at Woodford where they use plastic seats, connected together in tens, and then put in rows and become permanent.This works really well, you can seat more people,there is better access around and through the seating and there is still room for people who want to get up and Boogie.Toilets -- porta potties are not the go,sorry. Demountable buildings can be hired(ATCO Ausco) that have 6-8 cubicles in them with a large septic tank underneath them are the go, as it is hard mounted to the tank,have a ready water supply to flush and are easy to drain as there is only one outlet on the tank for that many toilets and would probably halve the amount of times the truck would have to come in to clean them out.We use these types of buildings at mine sites with several hundred men per camp and are no prob to service,All I can say is Thank god the wind did not change direction as that would be a little tooo much festival for me to handle.Lastly and I say this without malice, families who have young kids or under 15's should all be put into the same area because this gives them a place away from late nighters coming back to their tents after a day at the festival.I came,I drove 14 hours to get there,myself and the people who came with me thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but I do not need to be constrained by an aggressive,over-zealous father with children who was placed in the middle of a nearly all adult part of the camp, over a little "noise", that at best was all in good fun.I thank you for the wonderful experience and I will be back.Dave D.
Stgary63
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:05:47 AM

My wife and I had the best time.We enjoyed the entire time here. met heaps of new friends and just enjoyed the laid back atmosphere,it was what we had hoped and wanted.saw a swag of new bands that we hadn't seen or heard of before so there will be lots of new bands to explore in the future.The camping area needs a few more bins though.every day seemed we had less and less.Loved Joe Bonamassa, and so many legends too,also many bands that will stick with us for a long time, cannot wait till next Easter.well done to all the organizers and the staff were so friendly they made us feel at home.