Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Marva's gone Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:16:16 PM
Groups: Administration

Bluesfest favourite Marva Wright has died in New Orleans - 6am March 23 - she was only 62.
I have known Marva since around 1995 - and have released 4 albums on my record label AIM of hers, as well as bringing her to Australia a number of times to play Bluesfest.
She suffered a stroke last year not long after Jazzfest in New Orleans - and a second debilitating one not long after.
Since that time she has lived with her daughter - who has cared for her.
She is so loved by those of us who care about New Orleans music - and gee - to be honest - I always though she would come back to front the BMW's (band of Marva Wright) - it was only a matter of time.
Benny Turner - her bandleader has been filling in up front - waiting on that day.....which will now never happen.
I feel so sad for Tony Plessey - her husband - who was devoted to her and her career - her beautiful children - and believe me - it will be a long time before New Orleans sees a funeral as well attended as Marva's - there will be a whole lot of people singing her home.
I will never hear Marva say Peeeeeeeeeeetaaaaaaaah again, or get to collaborate with her on her recordings - she always said I knew how to pick the tracks which made her sound best.
however - when you listen to - what is now her last recording - After The Levees Broke - and you hear her songs - she did not need more from me than enthusiasm - this girl had the lot - she could just belt it out.
I feel so sad right now - Marva may not have been one of the biggest - but to me - and a whole lot of others - she was one of the greats.
Let's hope it is a long time before we hear through the board of another wonderful fundamental artist as this - passing.
Goodbye Marva Wright - I am stunned, sad and well - not ready for your passing.
Sincerely
Peter Noble
bluesfest director
johnnymac
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:19:12 PM
Groups: Member

Sad, Sad, Sad................I will remember her Bluesfest gigs forever.
donaldhp
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:08:31 PM
Groups: Guest

Incredibly sad news. I too will remember her gigs at Bluesfest forever. She epitomised what Bluesfest is all about
....fabulous joyful music, a fabulous voice and fabulous audience participation.
With greatest respect and sorrow,
Don
repete
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:54:30 PM

Oh dear....I'm so saddened by this. Marva had one of the most amazing voices I have ever heard....who could ever forget her conducting us all as a mass choir? I just had to see her every time she sang at bluesfest. I'll also never forget her performance with Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias at jazzfest a few years ago as she supported Bo, who himself had just survived a stroke. She was radiant that day - a big hearted woman. We all know who's gonna be leading the choir in heaven now....bless you Marva.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:42:31 PM

Sad news indeed. I'll always have the great memories of her BF appearances. Thoughts must go to her family and friends...

namaste
RR
katieforfree
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:06:24 AM

Marva is to me what bluesfest is about. She is my backing track at the gym and her version of i wll survive was the theme song of my sons recent 30th birthday party. Sad day for me and my family.
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:19:47 AM

Only saw her as part of New Orleans Band Aid in 2006, but she was a truly class act. Will certainly be missed - a great shame that we won't see Marva at BF again.....
Sharleen7
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:47:18 AM

So sad... farewell and Godspeed to Marva. We've seen her so many times through the years and she never failed to deliver a heart warming show. She will be sorely missed.

EXCESS in Moderation
Dan...
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:24:31 AM

very sad. rest in peace.

it's really hard to believe she'll never be on a bluesfest line up again :-(

The poster formerly known as Dan
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:46:14 PM

Another of the Bluesfest legends goes, I will miss her amazing voice & smile.

I have her AIM Records album "I still haven't found what Im looking for..." so I am about to play it & remember some great gigs.

Maybe the Festival can do something to remember her.
groover
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 9:14:15 AM

so sad to hear of Marva's passing. She was such a generous performer and I have many happy memories of seeing her play thanks to Bluesfest. I seem to recall her doing a gospel set one Easter Sunday, you could have heard a pin drop, the audience was totally enraptured. Vale Marva...
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:56:43 PM

Very very sad,
God rest your soul Marva, you brought much brightness and soul to Byron, we will miss you , all well wishes to her family, thanks Wazza.