Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Camping newbies Options
humdinger
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 11:03:52 AM
Groups: Member

Trying to get some advice from you seaoned, happy campers. We are a party of 3, never camped except during school camps some 20 years ago. We are buying/borrowing/begging for some camping gears. What would you advise considering the expected wet weather? Is a 6 person cheapo dome from Kmart ok. We've got autumn sleeping bags. What other items are necessary to make the experience slightly more comfortable?
youngbill
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:52:53 PM
Groups: Guest

Greetings Hummy,

It's nice to be able to not have to sit in your tent in the freaking rain so I'd suggest some tarp action in front to enhance your camping experience.
Cotton sheets may be more suitable than sleeping bags (but still bring them!) as it will be as steamy as a steam train driver wearing long woollen trousers and matching long sleeved woollen shirt on his way to a steamfest during a particularly hot spell. That's pretty steamy.

Perhaps some chairs or food even, but that's all up to the individual really. As is well known it's alcohol free camping this year so I'm just bringing a big pile of crack and will have to assess how that agrees with my central nervous system before endorsing it as a camping recommendation. See if you can tell which one's me! And remember Kids - say no to drugs.

I would try to bring several styles of footwear for each of the various stages of mud / rain acceptance your psyche will go through.
Shoes, boots, gumboots, sandals, thongs. It's nice to put on something dry even though it's about to get completely wet. Nice waterproof boots are good. Bl#ndstone style are good - comfy and fairly waterproof.
I scorn gumboots as I find them uncomfortable to walk in after a while, but they do keep the water out so what's the point in that?

Last year I sacrificed a nice pair of sandals, which was really good as the soles were thick and wide, reducing sinkage and so I only got some dampness a few times.
I seemed to almost float above the water in some godlike fashion while other mere mortals were forced to wade through, but maybe that's just me.

It's always balmy, so think of the slush as a cool and refreshing friend who's dropped by to stay at your house for a few days. Under no circumstances should you consider driving to Ballina (via Lismore because the shop turns out to be closed) during the fest to buy a pair of volleys and then discover after walking around in the mud for a few hours that they're not going to stretch in and that they are actually a size too small and extremely uncomfortable. That would just be plain silly, and something I would certainly never do. Ever.

So to the umbrella. I have travelled that road they are pain in the butt (although I didn't read the instructions initially so may have not been using it correctly) & you'll likely have someone's eye out.

At another rival blues and or roots styled event I bought a rather expensive rain jacket from the local fishing shop. Really good, it breathes and doesn't heat up inside, so not too steamy.
If you go for gumboots get them before the fest as they will be ultra expensive around town.

greybeard
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:07:08 PM

humdinger wrote:
Trying to get some advice from you seaoned, happy campers. We are a party of 3, never camped except during school camps some 20 years ago. We are buying/borrowing/begging for some camping gears. What would you advise considering the expected wet weather? Is a 6 person cheapo dome from Kmart ok. We've got autumn sleeping bags. What other items are necessary to make the experience slightly more comfortable?

TENT
The Kmart tent should be fine, I had one for seven years and got through the heavy downpour with strong winds in 2006 with less than a cup of water forced through the seams, it was four years old then. Choose one with a built in annex (two room)
BEDDING
I prefer an air mattress, double sheet (lay half across the mattress and fold the other half over you) and two single blankets and pillow. Much more adjustable from warm to cool weather. It can be cool at ground level.
FOOD
I have lunch and dinner from the festival stalls. Buy long life milk (litre per day) breakfast cereal, tea and fruit that will keep
for a week like, unripe bananas, oranges, apples or hard pears and maybe eggs and/or a tin spaghetti or spam at Byron Woolies before hitting the camp site

EXTRAS
A chair per person (take this to the fest) a camp table, single gas burner with three aerosol type gas cans for tea making also a billy and small skillet pan (which must be kept greasy)
torch, cup, bowl, cutlery set, water bottle 3 to 10 litre so you don't need to go to the possibly distant tap too often,
soap, toothpaste, brush, any medications, sunscreen, repellent, towel, radio/CD/MP3 or whatever

CLOTHING
Expect mostly warm conditions, rain cannot be ruled out Sun hat
I take sandals as they can be easily washed, wont stick in mud like thongs and don't pong like wellies
Two of those disposable ponchos as one may last only a couple of days. Underwear can be worn Day 1 normally
Day 2 back to front Day3 reversed front to front and Day 4 reversed back to front, so if staying 5days to a week a spare pair is required.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 6:16:36 AM

spam

hahahaha That definately shows your age............ How can you eat that?

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
ScottM
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 7:56:04 AM

My only additional advice re:camping is to get a high ground spot. The trenches in the front fields at Belongil proved treacherous in 2006, and after the Saturday night downpour, there were some unfortunate Irish folk who had set up in a lower spot and had a good 20cm of water flowing through the tent. As they huddled under the back door of their station wagon, I couldn't help but think, "that'll teach you to come and set up almost on top of us".......
wildthing
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 9:01:59 AM

If your doing the 5 days, I recommend saving a little money for a massage. Walking and standing all day can put some serious compression on your discs!, spesh if you jump up and down to music like I do!! Was the best investment I made on day 3. They do it through your clothes and is heaven. Although you do look like your off your face a bit afterwards. Enjoy.
greybeard
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 3:01:13 PM

Don't like Spam try

As Aussie as blow flies on cow pats.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 4:57:58 PM

if youre after fresh fruit,instead of braving the traffic into byron try the bp garage just down from belongil fields.they now keep a good range of fresh mostly local fruit.and if you hit town thursday,try the byron bay cookie company store (in the bp servo complex)look for the factory seconds at a fraction of the normal price.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
wildthing
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:04:13 AM

EWWWWWW! Camp pie, or Cam-pie as we used to call it, is like cheap Devon with fat!!! Spam much more edible...... tho barely. Tinned Frank n beans is real filling, and not too scary. and good ol noodles in a cup!!!!!
charliebear
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:01:18 PM

get a room camping sucks you've gotta get something cosy your there for 5 days

I eat veggies, i eat veggies, they taste good! =)
coppinafield19
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:03:32 PM

charliebear wrote:
get a room camping sucks you've gotta get something cosy your there for 5 days

Haha, Spot on c bear ... my eighth year straight and never have i camped nor would i ...give me a bed and an endless supply of jagermeister
CaptainVic2
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:39:30 PM

I have camped for all of my 6 years and have loved every minute of it. I do have a small caravan, so that helps. For me, it's all part of the experience. You meet lots of like minded people, don't have far to go to fall into a bed at the end of the day, and not far to go the next morning. Also, if you can get up early enough the next morning (7ish), the showers are all wide open.
mpember
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:41:24 AM

CaptainVic2 wrote:
Also, if you can get up early enough the next morning (7ish), the showers are all wide open.

Showers? What kind of a camper are you? :P
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:00:34 AM

camped the first 8 years and loved it. even in 06 when i woke up in a couple of inches of water.

wake up, have a drink, go to the festival, come home, have a drink, go to bed.

The poster formerly known as Dan
CaptainVic2
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 4:53:42 PM

mpember wrote:
CaptainVic2 wrote:
Also, if you can get up early enough the next morning (7ish), the showers are all wide open.

Showers? What kind of a camper are you? :P

I'm the type of camper who needs a shower to shake the cobwebs out. The walk to and fro helps build up a thirst for a morning Irish coffee!
AMYCON
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 4:43:26 PM

Can non campers visit people in the campsite during the day?
waffles
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 2:27:46 PM

any campers who find themselves short of gear (camping gear that is!)i have been assured that ballina disposals and camping will be open over easter every day EXCEPT GOOD FRIDAY.
THEIR ADDRESS IS 207 RIVER STREET BALLINA(the main street)02 66868622.
from tyagarah straight down the pacific highway,probably about 25-30 minutes. which is probably quicker than going into byron with its traffic problem.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ianandhelena
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:53:52 AM

dan...
is that just two drinks in the day or do you follow through from the first one?

or are the "wake up" and "go to bed" drink really huge?
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:27:45 AM

bottle of jamesons in the morning and a bottle of bombay sapphire in the evening :)

The poster formerly known as Dan
rjbyrne
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:26:18 AM

DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER! ummm Does anyone know whether there are likely to be power outlets in the ladies shower blocks?