Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Fest Thurs Kick Off Options
mediumsizewalter
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 11:54:01 PM
Groups: Member

Hi Guys I am new to Bluesfest from the UK
Just wondering if most people book 5 day tickets or one ofs & if so is it busy first thing or is it better to get there later on
when do the gates open & is it a busy vibe when the first acts get going on the Thurs
sbetts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 7:18:09 AM

most people have their tix now, don't wait to long you may miss out
zyfert
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 9:04:00 AM

mediumsizewalter wrote:
Hi Guys I am new to Bluesfest from the UK
Just wondering if most people book 5 day tickets or one ofs & if so is it busy first thing or is it better to get there later on
when do the gates open & is it a busy vibe when the first acts get going on the Thurs

Well that's entirely up to you however if you are in Byron or nearby for the duration of the festival and you are a music lover then you would be crazy not to buy a 5 day ticket.
Traditionally Thursday is the the quietest day in terms of crowd numbers.
The festival kicks off at 4 pm that day with the gates opening a little earlier.
You swap your ticket for a wristband at the entry gate which allows you to come and go as you please.
See you there!

Always28
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 9:07:38 AM

Don't forget when you rock up with the ticket to get the wristband you need to show some ID, so don't leave the drivers licence in the car!!
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 11:23:44 AM

I love Thursdays at BF!!

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
repete
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 7:37:31 PM

curlyloc wrote:
I love Thursdays at BF!!

Yeah...:-) First day of fest, sprinkle the gris gris around....it's always magic!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 10:11:38 PM

Always28 wrote:
Don't forget when you rock up with the ticket to get the wristband you need to show some ID, so don't leave the drivers licence in the car!!

That is a good point.A non driver like me has had numerous problems over the years due to lack of photo ID.
repete
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 10:33:54 PM

regards wrote:
Always28 wrote:

That is a good point.A non driver like me has had numerous problems over the years due to lack of photo ID.

Damn right, having a few aliases doesn't help either, 'specially when you forget which one you've used! ....the grouse spouse is always in trouble...:-). Listenin' to Bo Dollis singin' Angola Bound.....lol

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
RaucousReg
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 11:29:22 PM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:
Always28 wrote:

Damn right, having a few aliases doesn't help either, 'specially when you forget which one you've used! ....the grouse spouse is always in trouble...:-). Listenin' to Bo Dollis singin' Angola Bound.....lol

Had a bro back in the day who was claiming multiple dole payments (established with very good IDs- source unmentionable because of libel/slander laws). He did it well- worked a few part time jobs and ROTATED his personae through them, ie dole bludger one would be working 4 hours a week as a gardener, get laid off and dole budger two would get the job etc. This went on for years- you'd borrow a book from him and there were dole cheques for book marks in a number of different names.

Then one day he got called in for an interview- his guys' part time employment has satisfied DSS for years and he'd never been called in. He sits at the table expecting the usual BUT the guy asks if he knows CC Ryde (or whatever the name was). The bro immediately thinks he's on the way to Long Bay BUT is saved by two things. First DSS ONLY know about CC Ryde, not the other half dozen AND by then he was on a Carer's Pension (totally legit) and pled the whole thing out. Of course he had to pay CC Ryde's $$$ back!

(And the song from the period about a dole bludger, one of who's aliaes was CC Ryde is?????)

On topic- I always try to get there early and mill around in the queue- gives you a chance to chat with a few pholk you haven't seen since the previous Easter!!!

namaste
RR
rhino47
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:25:46 PM

I don't have photo ID (but I'm legit) what happens to me & others in same situ?
zyfert
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 3:05:22 PM

rhino47 wrote:

How old are you?
Photo ID is generally used to determine whether you are 18 or over for licensing requirements.
Also if you have an e-ticket (rather than a hard copy) to prove you are the valid ticket owner.
If you in the borderline age group and you can't produce proof of age then I would think you would get an under 18 (no alcohol) wristband.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 3:54:11 PM

rhino47 wrote:

Not knowing which State you live in, here's a NSW solution

The NSW Photo Card

The NSW Photo Card is a voluntary card for people who do not hold a current NSW driver licence, or other form of photo identification, to help them show who they are. It may be used to help access a number of everyday services such as sending or receiving international mail, opening bank accounts and entering licensed premises.

The Photo Card replaces the Proof of Age Card.
(The Proof of Age Card became redundant on 13 December 2008).
How do I get a Photo Card?

To be eligible for a Photo Card you must:

* Be a NSW resident.
* Be aged 16 years and over.
* Not hold a current driver licence or Proof of Age Card (if you do you will need to surrender your driver licence or Proof of Age Card when you apply for your Photo Card).
* Meet the RTA's standard proof of identity criteria.

How to apply see http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/photocard.html

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
groover
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 7:59:18 PM

to mediumsizewalter who asked the initial question, the best thing is to just get a 5 day pass, its actually quite cheap! then just pick and choose from the daily schedule as best you can, if you are going to attend the festival, just do it . Pick the eyes out of it without worrying about which days etc. by the time you buy 3 day tix, you may as well buy 5, it's cheap if you check out the cost of seeing just one of these acts at a sideshow in Sydney....it's a once a year opportunity darlin! see you near the front of the sound desk!
1Bindoggie
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:29:15 PM

groover wrote:
to mediumsizewalter who asked the initial question, the best thing is to just get a 5 day pass, its actually quite cheap! then just pick and choose from the daily schedule as best you can, if you are going to attend the festival, just do it . Pick the eyes out of it without worrying about which days etc. by the time you buy 3 day tix, you may as well buy 5, it's cheap if you check out the cost of seeing just one of these acts at a sideshow in Sydney....it's a once a year opportunity darlin! see you near the front of the sound desk!

Yep
colinsid
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:21:53 AM

Is this for E-tickets as I have always had proper tickets & can't remember ever having to show licence. E ticket line is always longer than hard ticket line on 1st night.
RaucousReg
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 11:31:06 PM

colinsid wrote:

Is this for E-tickets as I have always had proper tickets & can't remember ever having to show licence. E ticket line is always longer than hard ticket line on 1st night.

Don't you have your real ticket already???

namaste
RR
zyfert
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:08:35 AM

colinsid wrote:

Me neither with hard tickets.
You have to show ID to exchange your e-ticket for a hard ticket.
The only reason for ID checks after that is to confirm age for alcohol - under/over 18 yo colour wristband.
Z.
rhino47
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:26:16 PM

zyfert wrote:
rhino47 wrote:

How old are you?
Photo ID is generally used to determine whether you are 18 or over for licensing requirements.
Also if you have an e-ticket (rather than a hard copy) to prove you are the valid ticket owner.
If you in the borderline age group and you can't produce proof of age then I would think you would get an under 18 (no alcohol) wristband.

I'd love to be asked if I was under age - hasn't happened for 25yrs+
Thanks
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:37:59 PM

rhino47 wrote:
zyfert wrote:
rhino47 wrote:

How old are you?

I'd love to be asked if I was under age - hasn't happened for 25yrs+
Thanks

unfortunately, due to licensing and perhaps even insurance reasons - you will most likely be asked for ID if you want to drink whether you're 18 or 80.

The poster formerly known as Dan