Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Honeydripper movie Options
colinsid
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:09:30 PM
Groups: Member

I saw a good Blues movie recently as part of Canberra Film Festival that is worth a look for music lovers.
It is about a struggling Blues joint owner & piana player (Danny Glover) who is having trouble getting people into his club, as another club down the road has installed a Juke Box playing the latest hits.
He has what he thinks is his last chance & hires an famous electric guitar player to play one night in the hope of saving the club, he doesn't likethe new electric sound though.
Meanwhile another unknown player (Gary Clark Jr.) rides into town looking for work, after dropping into the club he gets arrested & hired out picking cotton.
The famous guitar player fails to show & the club owner has to hire the unknown with predictable (it is an american movie so you can guess).
It also has Eric Bibb playing a streetwise blind guitarist, Dr Mabel John (sister of Little Willie John), Arthur Lee Williams (harmonica player). As well as actors Stacey Keach as a crooked cop & Charles S Dutton as co owner of the club. It was directed by John Sayles.
It was made last year & released in the states earlier this year but I can't find any Australian release date & I imagine will go straight to DVD.
As i mentioned earlier it is a good movie (not great) with some excellent music performances & was well written. In David & Margaret style I give it 3.5 stars.
I do not know much about Gary Clark Jr other than he won best Blues artist at a recent Austin Music Awards & he is from Texas & has had a couple of albums out. Possibly a good candidate for Bluesfest. He also plays harmonica, bass & drums.