Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Avett Brothers Options
sydneyDMBfan
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:30:33 PM
Groups: Member

"Bluesfest director Peter Noble is expecting this is the act you will walk away talking about this year." http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=10308

Live from Newport Folk Festival - audio

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111329995

Live from Newport Folk Festival - video (short)

http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/paste_station?station_track=1956&mode=standalone

Avett Brothers In Concert At SXSW (Daytrotter) - audio

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/avett-brothers-sxsw-session-concert/20030668-3737998.html

Avett Brothers In Concert At SXSW (NPR) - audio

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101422177

Tiny Desk Concert - video

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105637364

World Cafe NPR Studio Session - audio

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113169824

Quote:
FOOLED BY THE BANJO; AVETT BROTHERS PLY THE TOOLS OF BLUEGRASS, BUT THEIR MUSIC IS ANYTHING BUT
San Jose Mercury News
14 May 2009

The Avett Brothers use banjo and standup bass. There are even a few Appalachian traces in their acoustic sound.

Still, the North Carolina trio warn against any notion that they are a bluegrass band, a false designation that has gotten them into some trouble in the past.

"We're still getting billed as bluegrass sometimes, which is really awful," says Bob Crawford, the Avett Brothers' bass player. "It's awful for us, but it's worse for people who come to the show expecting to see that type of band. There's very little bluegrass in what we do.

"If you are a bluegrass traditionalist you would take offense to what we do."

Formed in 2000, the Avett Brothers (who perform at Santa Cruz's Rio Theatre tonight) actually performed at a major bluegrass conference in Nashville early in their career. While they won their share of supporters at the event, some purists in attendance found their music fraudulent. One particularly disgusted gentleman went as far as to tell the band that they should be ashamed of themselves, Crawford recalls.

If there are any remaining doubts as to whether the Avett Brothers play traditional bluegrass, those uncertainties should be quashed by the group's upcoming album, "I and Love and You." Set to be released Aug. 11 by American Recordings, it represents their major label debut after releasing music on independent labels.

Produced by American Recordings founder Rick Rubin -- one of the country's top music producers -- "I and Love and You" is the group's most accessible effort to date, according to Crawford.

"A more rock-pop element came out in this recording than ever before," Crawford says. "I think that our musical evolution will continue. But this album was for us a lot of how we always wanted to sound. It's definitely a lot more well-crafted than our previous recordings."

With the promotional muscle of American Recordings behind it, "I and Love and You" represents the Avett Brothers' best chance to date of achieving a major commercial breakthrough. The group has for the most part built its following incrementally through constant touring. Not surprisingly, its largest area of support is in the South, although Crawford says the band has also been able to establish respectable followings in other regions like the Bay Area.

The Avett Brothers' musical roots are not found in some single-minded obsession with records made by bluegrass pioneers such as Bill Monroe. Instead, the group was formed as a side project to a grunge-metal group that Scott and Seth Avett belonged to called Nemo.

The brothers didn't want to get trapped into just performing for the young, white male audiences that follow metal. So the siblings took a radical turn toward rootsy, acoustic music that still contained a pop-rock edge. The group's music has been labeled grunge-grass and folk-punk, descriptions Crawford does not disavow.

Scott and Seth also wanted to avoid the bickering and bad blood that had infiltrated Nemo toward the end of that band's existence. So they decided to keep their acoustic project small and manageable. It seems Crawford was recruited not only for his standup bass abilities, but also for his agreeable temperament. It helped that the bass player was already a mature 30-year-old when he joined the Avett Brothers.

"The first gig that felt like we were a band was on the Saturday after Sept. 11, 2001," he recalls. "We've been playing and touring ever since."

Crawford is proud to say that the Avett Brothers audience is a very diverse one.

"It's a broad following," he says. "It's always been both young and old. When we play in Columbus, Ohio, this older couple always shows up. They must be about 80 years old. They sit in the front row every time. They bring their own chairs. We get a lot of families, two or three generations. I've never known families that participate like they do for us."

Scott (vocals-banjo) and Seth (vocals-guitar) Avett are also fountains of songwriting inspiration. They are such prolific tunesmiths that it's not uncommon for the band to perform new, unreleased songs on stage. In fact, "I and Love and You" will be the Avett Brothers' 10th studio release in its nine-year career, and Crawford says the trio already have enough material ready for an additional album.

The Avett Brothers -- whose stage, and sometimes studio, sound is buttressed by cellist Joe Kwon -- tend to fill in the gaps between full-length albums with mini-albums. Last year, the band released a six-song disc called "The Second Gleam EP." Like its 2006 predecessor, "The Gleam EP," the project contains quiet and intimate songs.

"We do a lot of pretty and slow material," says Crawford. "But we've always had a punk attitude about what we do. We're not great players, though we've gotten better at playing our instruments over the years.

"We're all about leaving it all out on stage and having heart."
JesikaT
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:29:13 AM

sssshhhhh! - don't tell everyone how good these guys are - I was hoping to have the tent to myself!

OK - I'll share (but under sufference!)

JT
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:59:51 AM
Groups: Administration

Carney and Avett Brothers - THE festival sleepers
BBoard admin
gerardf
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:20:19 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Carney and Avett Brothers - THE festival sleepers
BBoard admin

Carney were one of my favourites last year (had to see them twice) but they're not on this year's list yet.

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:34:47 AM
Groups: Administration

OOps
Bboard Admin
CaptainVic2
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:22:41 AM

Am I reading the schedule correctly, only one appearance by the Avett Bros?

Gerard-Pollstar says Carney'll be there both Sat and Sun! Hope they're correct.
richo
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:02:19 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
OOps
Bboard Admin

Haha, priceless!

The Avett Brothers are high on my list... I think with their new album finally out here they're attracting a bit of attention.
kungfujimmy
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:28:59 PM

i cant wait to see jack johnson he is the most gifted song writer ever lol
gerardf
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:43:17 PM

CaptainVic2 wrote:
Am I reading the schedule correctly, only one appearance by the Avett Bros?

Thursday & Friday Captain

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
CaptainVic2
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:29:53 PM

Thanks Gerard! Looking forward to seeing them.
mgwfall
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:23:26 AM

gerardf wrote:

Carney were one of my favourites last year (had to see them twice) but they're not on this year's list yet.

had to see them 3 times!!

Testify from the Monday set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM5UVQRnY7E
Dan...
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 8:04:05 PM

these guys are AMAZING

The poster formerly known as Dan
timcook123
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:59:31 AM

gotta bring these guys back!!!! new album out early next year
C'mon bluesfest you know you wanna!!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
Marie5
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:56:45 AM

Avett Bros
Carney
Hot Club of Cowtown
The Greencards

probably the finest musicians I have seen in the past 15 years of bluesfest

would love to see all (or any of them again)

paddle faster I hear banjo music ................