Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Drive-By Truckers Options
mark123
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:05:59 AM
Groups: Member

Anyone know if this incredible band from the US is touring our shores for the first time? According to The Age today they are coming but it's not on the bands website or this. In any event, maybe it will be in the 2nd lineup announcement. I have seen them once live in New York and they were one of the best bands I have ever seen live and I have seen a lot of concerts in my day.
mark123
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:10:20 AM

BTW - awesome news about Lucinda Williams. It made my morning when I picked up by Crackberry at 5.30am and checked my email to find this wonderful news. Let's hope she doesn't cancel this time!
greybeard
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:23:04 AM

Not good news, Mexicans, Crow Eaters and Taswegians adding to the throng
Just kidding

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 3:45:46 PM

I thyink it's time you washed your thong Mr. Beard, it's gettin murky!!!!!!! All the best Wazza.
mark123
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 12:55:38 PM

Good to see another article tell us this great band is touring our shores for the first time for this festival. All we are waiting on now is this site or the bands site to confirm it???

alchemik
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2008 2:31:53 PM
Groups: Guest

The Driveby Truckers would be great and maybe Ryan Adams-He has a new CD out- could be a chance!
ladypil0t
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:22:32 PM

I so hope you're right mark123. saw them last year in Austin and they were awesome. agree re Lucinda too. actually apart from her I'm not really excited about anyone... but then my tastes tend more toward alt-country, or whatever you wanna call it
TheBlackwaterFever79
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:38:48 PM

DBT are awesome. great story telling alt-country. great idea!
finleym
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:42:33 PM

http://www.widespreadpanic.com/mp_clip.php?id=127&group_id=37

I know I've banged on about Widespread Panic on the boards for a while, but I think with DBT fans I may have found some kindred spirits. Check out this live performance of Panic from this year. So good..

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
finleym
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:42:59 PM

Drive by Truckers with Booker T Jones are playing at jazzfest - but still no confirmation for bluesfest.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
Dan...
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:04:59 PM

pretty sure the truckers' sideshows have been locked in

The poster formerly known as Dan
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:18:21 AM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-17

My mate Keith has instructed me to post that he did not like this band.

He likes Allman Brothers,Robin Trower,The Dead etc,and was really looking forward to the gig following all the hype.

He described them as a grunge band,like Pearl Jam ?

I don't know Pearl Jam from a banana.

He has a son who plays drums in a metal band so gets to see and hear alot of noisy stuff[Keith doesn't like metal].

I lasted the whole set in Crossroads on Sunday,but had too move away from my usual spot at the right of the stage,because it was so damn loud.

They may as well not have had a vocalist as I couldn't hear a word he was saying.

The vocalist reminded me of a medical student from the early 1970's.

If BigBen thinks Zweezil Zappa is self indulgent,I think these guys were completely over the top.

I am completely perplexed as to why a band needs three guitarists who sound like a mess when combined.

One decent lead guitarist with a bit of flair is ample.

I like stuff that is a bit subtle.

I thought these guys had absolutely no class at all.

Ok we did finally get to hear a token bit of pedal steel...too little and too late .

They need to delete their alternative country tag...please...It's nothing but a sham..

Wilco make these guys look primitive.

Give me a good punk band...anyday...for a bit of noise....at least you can generally distinguish one instrument from the other..and hear the vocals.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
phelan1973
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:50:26 PM

I was standing to the left hand side of the stage and the sound was perfect. Vocals were all clear. No messy noise.
RaucousReg
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:06:51 PM

From slightly off centre to the right they were just too loud. As I've said elsewhere it makes it impossible for front of house to do anything with the mix when everything is pushed that hard- three guitars at full volume left nothing for the vocals. All in all the set was a great disappointment as I enjoyed their last studio effort.

namaste
RR
arbee0
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:26:27 PM

It may have been more the head space I was in at the time rather than the physical space but backish and rightish of Crossroads they rocked my world .... as they did again when given a bit of rein at the end of the Booker T set
Most other years I would have been first in line again on Monday night but I'm afraid up against Alpha Blondy they just couldn't be an option!!
Since then the CD I bought is more country than I heard then but with enough of that night to keep it near the top of the pile
Still waiting in anticipation to play the DVD
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:54:41 PM

Reggae is just not my thing,nor my mate Keith's.

We both find it too much the same,and the beat is too slow for me.

Apart from the "White Album",my interest in the Beatles ends at "Revolver".

I have never liked "Sergeant Pepper" so the Easy Star All Stars performing "With A little Help from my friends" left me looking for a hasty exit.

By theloneranger at 2009-04-18

As for Alpha Blondy,if I was a sniffer dog the first place I would always go to would be the reggae gig.

Lots of easy pickings.

Maybe this is the answer to getting into reggae.

So left with a choice of the man with the stand up vacuum cleaner,and the DBTS,I decided to take a visit to Jambalaya to confirm if my earlier viewpoint was accurate.

Entering Jambalaya I found around 10 people on each seating stage on either side of the tent,a small crowd between and forward of the two poles out from the stage,and maybe half a dozen in the floor area itself.

I sat on a black box attached to one of the second line of poles back from the righthand speaker system,not game to be suckered again with the noise close up.

I saw the last half hour,which was just as bad as my other viewings.

This time I didn't even see the pedal steel in operation.

The reason I went again was that a guy from Melbourne who I had met at Narooma and who was a big fan[but admitted the first half in Crossroads was not good]and reckoned there were problems with the sound system which contributed to the problem.

Alas it was no better in Jambalaya.

Again a complete overkill,complete with flashing lights on stage when they tried to max the volume,and a vocalist who might as well have been mute.

People kept leaving the tent,and in reality the whole audience could have easily have fitted into last year's Juke Joint tent.

Peter Noble talked about putting acts in tents which were relevant to the perceived audience.

These guys in Jambalaya were a misfit.

Alpha Blondy had a massively larger audience.

All things aside,regardless of my opinon of this band,I have no regrets about seeing them.

At least I now have the exposure to allow me to offer an opinion on them to anyone who raises the subject.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
arbee0
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:52:42 PM

diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks Patrick
Ironic that I was thinking as I played the DBT CD I bought ("Brighter Than Creation Dark") that there is probably more on there to your taste than to mine - a lot is nothing like either of us heard at Belongil .... much more in keeping with the "alt-country" tag (and not so "alt" at that)
Anyway when/if we ever meet up at Bluesfest or elsewhere I reckon we'd have a lot to talk about, regardless of whether the DBT came up or not
Cheers

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:06:15 PM

Right On Brother.

c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:06:08 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

My mate Keith has instructed me to post that he did not like this band.

He likes Allman Brothers,Robin Trower,The Dead etc,and was really looking forward to the gig following all the hype.

He described them as a grunge band,like Pearl Jam ?

I don't know Pearl Jam from a banana.

He has a son who plays drums in a metal band so gets to see and hear alot of noisy stuff[Keith doesn't like metal].

I lasted the whole set in Crossroads on Sunday,but had too move away from my usual spot at the right of the stage,because it was so damn loud.

They may as well not have had a vocalist as I couldn't hear a word he was saying.

The vocalist reminded me of a medical student from the early 1970's.

If BigBen thinks Zweezil Zappa is self indulgent,I think these guys were completely over the top.

I am completely perplexed as to why a band needs three guitarists who sound like a mess when combined.

One decent lead guitarist with a bit of flair is ample.

I like stuff that is a bit subtle.

I thought these guys had absolutely no class at all.

Ok we did finally get to hear a token bit of pedal steel...too little and too late .

They need to delete their alternative country tag...please...It's nothing but a sham..

Wilco make these guys look primitive.

Give me a good punk band...anyday...for a bit of noise....at least you can generally distinguish one instrument from the other..and hear the vocals.

c0kebloke
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:26:41 AM

hi patrick i was wondering what day you saw DBT as i noticed the sound was bad on monday but the guys controling the sound gear had to cover the eqipment on monday & had a hell of a night just before the end of ruthie foster as the tent leaked on the gear
They had to cover the gear at the end of ruthie foster with tarps then noticed it blocked the view of all in the dissabled viewing area then took them off & just wiped from then on.
I have not posted since getting home as things have not been to good for me since last sat(to explain my some what garbled post) so i shall be back on board when i can