Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Strange Weather Options
JesikaT
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 2:45:25 PM
Groups: Member

I recently made a response to a post requesting photos of the new site

I made comment on what I saw when I drove past last Sunday afternoon, following a lot of heavy rain

I made the suggestion that it could be worthwhile packing gumboots.

There was no derogatory remarks about the site, about artists, about fellow BBoard-posters, yet the whole thread seems to have been pulled from the Board

I was of the understanding that I had complied with the new rules of engagement when posting to the Board.
Obviously not, unless there other comments posted after mine which I missed.

However, I repeat my advice - pack gumboots (it rained a lot more over the weekend)

JT
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 3:03:23 PM
Groups: Administration

comments following yours caused closure of the thread.
unfortunately, those with an axe to grind seem to think that it is funny to attack Bluesfest by posting pictures or comments that are negative.
We will continue to remove them, and if neccessary, as it was in this case, suspend them from using the board for a while

thanks
BBoard admin
arbee0
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 7:13:00 PM

Compliments Jesika for the cleverest title for a topic :)

(how good is that Waits Strange Weather link richo gave us under "Best Concerts"?!!)
waffles
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 7:24:05 PM

it is 7 weeks until BLUESFEST. Idont think current weather will be relevant in 7 weeks.anyone know a long term forcast for easter in byron?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 7:46:25 PM
Groups: Guest

Best i could find is for the next 28 days http://www.weatherzone.com.au/long-range-forecast/28-day-rain/nsw/northern-rivers
May be best to check the link in future for a better idea.
izzy965
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 7:57:04 PM

waffles wrote:
it is 7 weeks until BLUESFEST. Idont think current weather will be relevant in 7 weeks.anyone know a long term forcast for easter in byron?

I reckon you should get one of them there global warming scientists to tell us how it will be. they seem to know what the weather will be doing in a 100 yrs so 7 weeks shouldn't be a problem.
repete
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:15:51 PM

waffles wrote:

Hahahaha Waffles!! It's Byron, it's Easter and it wouldn't be fest without a thorough drenching! I'm with Jesika....pack yer gumbooties!!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
donaldhp
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:48:49 PM

Oops ! Sorry Jesika for starting something here ! I can only totally agree that the whole thing started from a genuine desire to see our new home and nothing more at all.
Most certainly I had no intention of creating any negative or derogatory insinuations. (Or replies).
I first came to bluesfest in 1997 and every year since 2000 (from Perth).....I LOVE BLUESFEST !!
So of course I'll be there again (with or without gumboots) and with all the excitement that another fest brings !
With respect,
Don
arbee0
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 11:02:43 PM

izzy965 wrote:
waffles wrote:

I reckon you should get one of them there global warming scientists to tell us how it will be. they seem to know what the weather will be doing in a 100 yrs so 7 weeks shouldn't be a problem.

I can generate a model to predict weather/climate in 7 weeks - it'll come out of a computer so will be unarguably correct

But first I need to know
1 - if you'll fund me
2 - what weather would be to your greatest advantage in 7 weeks
3 - will your payments be by cheque or direct deposit
4 - can I expect the funding to continue to set up my comfortable retirement
5 - can Al Gore's agent PLEASE return my calls?!

Only that way can I know what numbers to put into the computer program - any observations that today may have been hotter/colder/wetter/drier than yesterday will be particularly useful
It'll be peer-reviewed of course (we scientists understand the importance of a round of drinks) and the absolute scientific integrity will be preserved by not releasing any of the data or processes to the uninformed ( = the public, and scientists in more traditional fields who happen to think climate science is a tautology ,,,,,,,,,, and a crock!)

Have I got the gig?

ianandhelena
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 4:43:59 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
unfortunately, those with an axe to grind seem to think that it is funny to attack Bluesfest by posting pictures or comments that are negative.
We will continue to remove them, and if neccessary, as it was in this case, suspend them from using the board for a while

thanks
BBoard admin

surely a discussion forum such as this should include both positive and negative opinions-otherwise it isn't discussion if negative opinions are disallowed, just matey backslapping about how good we all are?

this isn't a criticism, but don't we all believe in free speech, not censorship?
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:15:08 AM

ianandhelena wrote:
bluesfestadmin wrote:

thanks
BBoard admin

surely a discussion forum such as this should include both positive and negative opinions-otherwise it isn't discussion if negative opinions are disallowed, just matey backslapping about how good we all are?

this isn't a criticism, but don't we all believe in free speech, not censorship?

Some people/organisations live in a dream world and not the world of the general public.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
JesikaT
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:42:31 AM

arbee0 wrote:
Compliments Jesika for the cleverest title for a topic :)

(how good is that Waits Strange Weather link richo gave us under "Best Concerts"?!!)

Thanks Arbee (yes, the link was great - as was seeing the wonderful Marianne finish off her Brisbane concert on Sunday night with it!) What a great addition to the BluesFest line up she'd be - not only can she sing it, but she's lived it (and survived)

Dear Mr Administrator:
Is it possible in the future to just delete the offending post, rather than the entire thread - there may be valuable information/discussion fodder lost if the whole thread goes into the ether

BTW - it's still raining up here!!
wildthing
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:13:40 AM

I made the mistake of going barefoot after 2 days of blisters made it it unbearable to wear no more than thongs, which kept flicking mud up my dress! The resin in the wood chips took my nail polish off and stained my toes nicotine brown! It was soooo much fun tho. getting feral and stomping to the beat in the mud! When I see a mud puddle in my yard, I'm tempted to relive the fantastic time I had last year. Give me mud and dirty blues and I'm a happy little piglett. Can't wait guys.EEEEEEEEEEEEEk!
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:00:37 PM

geez,toughen up guys!
yes 2009 was wet,it was definately the wettest bluesfest,and ive been to 20. over half of those i never even took a raincoat or gumboots.(and didnt
need to) some i took a plastic dropsheet and only used it for passing showers.
who knows how tyagarah will handle rain.yes its good to be prepared,but lets not get too paranoid.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:08:44 PM

At the risk of being banned- just some thoughts...

The last two years I stayed in Mullumbimby. 2008. no problem for BF but later in the year water across the old highway between the bypass and Uncle Tom's. 2009 I got to look at the lake where the turf farm usually is, ie the other side of he highway from the new BF site albeit slightly lower in the landscape. 2006/2007 I couldn't drive out to the bach as there was a heap of water over the road although again, that's lower in the landscape than the BF site. Doesn't seem too many years back that the highway was cut at Tyagarah, higher in the landscape than the ti-tree farm. Now I sincerely hope there isn't that sort of rainfall event this Easter...

namaste
RR
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:11:55 PM

wildthing wrote:
I made the mistake of going barefoot

Bare feet and licensed premises SHOULDN'T go together. The licensee, ie BF, runs the risk of losing their licence if inconsiderate, (dare I say foolish- the laws are there for a reason), pholk such as yourself deliberately breach them.

namaste
RR
izzy965
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:31:50 PM

RaucousReg wrote:
wildthing wrote:

Bare feet and licensed premises SHOULDN'T go together. The licensee, ie BF, runs the risk of losing their licence if inconsiderate, (dare I say foolish- the laws are there for a reason), pholk such as yourself deliberately breach them.

namaste
RR

hey rr dont blame wildthing for going barefoot , seems to me security isn't doing their job properly
Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:51:32 PM

waffles wrote:
geez,toughen up guys!
yes 2009 was wet,it was definately the wettest bluesfest,and ive been to 20. over half of those i never even took a raincoat or gumboots.(and didnt
need to) some i took a plastic dropsheet and only used it for passing showers.
who knows how tyagarah will handle rain.yes its good to be prepared,but lets not get too paranoid.

Well said Waffles. Last year I had a broken wrist with a non-waterproof cast and managed to have a bloody good time despite the weather. From memory, there was also a great deal of the wet stuff leading up to Easter last year which meant the ground was already waterlogged prior to the Easter drenching. I don't think there is much point in stressing over something we have no control over.
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:20:31 AM

donaldhp wrote:
Oops ! Sorry Jesika for starting something here ! I can only totally agree that the whole thing started from a genuine desire to see our new home and nothing more at all.
Most certainly I had no intention of creating any negative or derogatory insinuations. Don

Hi Don & Jesika.
I think i'm the one that should apologise to you both and i think both of you are entitled to a full explanation.

So to start with i'm sorry if i coused either of you any problems regarding this thread.

I posted a pic of the new site after some rainfall. I explained in the post that accompanied it that it was the only pic i could find of the new site. I'm not sure when the offending picture was taken.

I also gave some rather light hearted advice regarding wearing wellies a life jacket & perhaps bring along a dinghy.The same sort of advice i've seen many posters write in regard to the weather around easter.

I didnt write anything anti bf or anything that would couse any kind of offence as far as i'm concerned.
My post was in regard to the weather around byron @ easter time.

I'm still unsure if my post coused the deletion of the original thread as i was away over the weekend so i'm not sure if a copped a ban or not.

Again sorry to you both, but i think it's all just a storm in a teacup-Or perhaps much ado about nothing is a better way of putting it since weather related posts seem to be off limits.
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:58:49 AM

RaucousReg wrote:
wildthing wrote:

namaste
RR

I lost me gumboots after squelching through >40cm mud going into Crossroads on Monday BF 2009, then lost me thongs in the mud on the way out....suggestions for what us fools should do in these instances???

(PS, they were steel cap gum boots from NZ...would love to get them back!)

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen