Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

John Mayer is coming! Options
gibosity
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:51:11 AM
Groups: Member

Okay, not coming to Bluesfest, but he's touring here in April/May. Just had to share my excitement with you all!

Having said that Mr Noble, maybe next year???:)
lukeellis12
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 3:03:22 PM

Where do I find dates?
sydneyDMBfan
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:38:43 PM

lukeellis12
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:59:43 PM

Thanks!! Booking flights now!
alickweber
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:57:48 PM
Groups: Guest

Anyone have any insight into how much Melbourne tickets are likely to be?
andrewhyde
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:31:20 PM

After the now infamous Playboy interview i will be crossing him off my list of performers to ever see again.

What a jerk.
steveakers
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:21:51 PM

andrewhyde wrote:
After the now infamous Playboy interview i will be crossing him off my list of performers to ever see again.

What a jerk.

Ditto.
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:25:09 PM

What did he say in Playboy. I only buy it for the naked women, not the articles.

Shouldn't your decision be based on whether you like his music, not his opinions ( which is why I have no interest in seeing him)
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:35:31 PM
Groups: Guest

colinsid wrote:
What did he say in Playboy. I only buy it for the naked women, not the articles.

Shouldn't your decision be based on whether you like his music, not his opinions ( which is why I have no interest in seeing him)

I tend to base my enjoyment of an artist on the music & in his case i'm not all that enthused-just my own personal taste.
As for his playboy interview http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631667/20100210/mayer_john.jhtml
Seems he considers a certain part of his anatomy a klan "member". Wonder if he has a special hood made for it?
gibosity
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 11:53:47 AM

Hmmmm.....if we base our choice of favourite artists on their personal/political opinions and comments, we're all in alot of trouble. So are the artists!

Some of what Mayer said was foul - I don't like it at all. But the guy is a kick arse guitarist and songwriter, so I'll still be listening to him.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 12:24:07 PM

gibosity wrote:
Hmmmm.....if we base our choice of favourite artists on their personal/political opinions and comments, we're all in alot of trouble. So are the artists!

Would you listen to a convicted rapist singing songs about love and romance? An extreme example, yes, but forming some kind of conection with the artist is important, and if they reveal themselves to be someone who you can't respect, then ditch them I say. In your case, you enjoy the guy's music more than you disliked his bizarre interview responses. That's cool, but the line is different for others.
charliebear
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:42:00 AM

his 07 or 08 performance wasnt all it was cracked up to be he looked lost on stage dont waste your money

I eat veggies, i eat veggies, they taste good! =)
1Bindoggie
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:23:46 PM

ScottM wrote:
gibosity wrote:

Would you listen to a convicted rapist singing songs about love and romance? An extreme example, yes, but forming some kind of conection with the artist is important, and if they reveal themselves to be someone who you can't respect, then ditch them I say. In your case, you enjoy the guy's music more than you disliked his bizarre interview responses. That's cool, but the line is different for others.

I dont know about this. Stupid interview for a magazine thats totally lost its relevance. Any kind of reasonable writer wouldnt have printed it but the times when a writer might even consider that are long gone. The guys copped enormous amounts of vitriol in the main because of what seems to me to be jealousy. Hes already come out and said he regrets what was said. God forbid that us normal people should have some irresponsible journo print every stupid thing we said

Truth be told, if we're going to hold ourselves out to listen only to music made by upstanding, morally upright members of the community who never took advantage of what was on offer, did something we regretted later or even did something while pissed, we're not going to be listening to much blues, jazz, country, rock & roll, classical, pop, hillbilly, rockabilly etc etc etc etc

Give the guy a break. If you dont like his music...fine. Expecting him to be some kind of saint who never does or says something he might regret is STUPID. And Id hazard a guess... highly hypocritical!!
littlewillie
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:30:51 PM

Totally agree doggie.

I'm not into his music at all , but after reading the article I really can't see what all the fuss is about.
1Bindoggie
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:45:09 PM

Oh...and why all you "first stone throwers" are at it, take a look at this

Might give you a better insight into the type of guy Mayer is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wvEZmytOVY
1Bindoggie
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:48:41 PM

And for those who doubt the guys musical integrity or blues chops

Cop this!!

And yes, for those in the know. Pino Palladino on bass and Steve Jordan on drums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONeTSGF05Mk
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:04:30 PM

Upon re-reading my offering, perhaps it didn't convey my opinion as intended.

First things first, never cared for the guy's music to begin with, but have certainly come to appreciate that he at least has the chops. And I thought his was one of the better celebrity apologies I've heard/read, in that he didn't go with the cop out "I'm sorry to those I've offended", but actually acknowledged regret over his comments. Of what I've seen of Mayer's live show, I've often thought "who does this guy think he is?", and the interview probably reinforced that.

All that aside though, my point was that it is inevitable that our opinions of a performer's character will bleed over into our opinions of their creative output, and that the extent to which it has an impact will depend on the fan and what it is that makes them a fan to begin with. Admittedly (ironically perhaps), I don't enjoy the Pogues less knowing that Shane MacGowan is a degenerate; probably quite the contrary........
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:15:41 PM

Pretty happy if this is a good sample of the man in action:

John Mayer - Voodoo Chile

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
Winston
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 10:26:57 AM

Just got Paradise Valley yesterday and I'm digging it! Can't wait to hear these songs played live! I'm now going through the back catalogue as well. I've had them but never really listened to much beyond the "hits".
timcook123
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 4:23:05 PM

Hes not a racists because he doesnt lean towards women with dark skin they just arent his type.
it was a stupid thing to say but as if he is racist!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan