Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Dissapointed! Options
humanracin1
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:35:14 AM
Groups: Guest

Well the lineup is out and I am very dissapointed.
Too many artists we have in this country every year.
(Ben Harper, Missy Higgins, Franti, ect)
I wanted to see more new names and surprises.
Australian festivals seem to be all about rehashing lately.
And too many of the headliners are Aussie acts.
I was hoping the promoter would take more risks and bring longtime artists who havn't been to our shores in the last decade, and exciting new artists that are unknown.

I will give 5 stars for bringing Seasick Steve back to Australia though!!!

So I won't be attending festival and am so glad I didn't "trust" the promoters and buy a 3 day pass, I will be passing alltogether.
I will definately be catching Seasick Steve in a sideshow though.

In case anyone is interested in what I would call a top-dollar lineup, here goes:
Headliners: Willie Nelson and Stevie Nicks, or Marianne Faithfull, Tom Waits.
Also: Horace Andy, Carleen Anderson, Jhelisa Anderson, Bonnie Prince Billy, Iron and Wine, Seasick Steve, Antony and the Johnsons, Teddy Thompson
Aussies: Pete Murray, John Steel Singers, Sia, Scott Matthew, Hunters and Collectors.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:43:03 AM
Groups: Member

Lucinda!!!! Lucinda!!!! Please don't cancel this time. From what I understand, she's in a happier place nowadays, so hopefully that makes another no-show less likely.

Sonny Landreth. Sweet.

Watermelon Slim. Likewise.

Ruthie and Seasick back on deck.

Eric Bibb has never disappointed. Ever. The possibility of him and Ruthie sharing a stage has shivers up my spine.

All in all, a fairly commercially biased first lineup. However, I do think that is due to the ever tightening nature of Festival competition in this country, and the fact that as everyone's purse strings tighten, the festival needs to rack up some early ticket sales. I expect that the "depth" of the lineup will become clearer in coming announcements. Happy enough for a start though - and it looks like I won't have to trek all the way over to MoJJJo

alickweber
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:02:05 AM

humanracin1 wrote:
Well the lineup is out and I am very dissapointed.
Too many artists we have in this country every year.
(Ben Harper, Missy Higgins, Franti, ect)
I wanted to see more new names and surprises.
Australian festivals seem to be all about rehashing lately.
And too many of the headliners are Aussie acts.
I was hoping the promoter would take more risks and bring longtime artists who havn't been to our shores in the last decade, and exciting new artists that are unknown.

I will give 5 stars for bringing Seasick Steve back to Australia though!!!

So I won't be attending festival and am so glad I didn't "trust" the promoters and buy a 3 day pass, I will be passing alltogether.
I will definately be catching Seasick Steve in a sideshow though.

In case anyone is interested in what I would call a top-dollar lineup, here goes:
Also: Horace Andy, Carleen Anderson, Jhelisa Anderson, Bonnie Prince Billy, Iron and Wine, Seasick Steve, Antony and the Johnsons, Teddy Thompson
Aussies: Pete Murray, John Steel Singers, Sia, Scott Matthew, Hunters and Collectors.

Sorry I'm not sure how you can be disappointed with this lineup... Not to mention the fact that it is only the first announcement, and therefore represents probably about 1/4 of the total acts that will actually be there, we've got an amazing spread of artists - I openly admit that I've not heard of many of them, but am already excited about discovering some new music, that is what BF is all about for me...

All I can say is that I am rapped we got pre-early bird tickets, I am very much looking forward to catching both the big names and some new faces at next years fest, it is already looking incredible - as I expected - and I've every confidence that Peter has got more up his sleeve. For the record, Iron and Wine were here in March, Missy hasn't played shows in over 12 months, and the last lot of shows JBT did was BF last year - if I'm not mistaken.

BKB are amazing, and I agree that Eric Bibb never disappoints, I've seen him at a number of fests over the years and he's great - and doesn't hit our shores all that often.

Anyhow, enjoy your Easter, I know I will!
humanracin1
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:21:40 AM

wow, you sound like you work for Peter, good job.

Unfortunately there's not many names I haven't heard of on that list, it is way too commercial!
I already know I don't want to listen to a lot of those bands.

I will spend my money instead on quality shows : Leonard Cohen in Feb, David Byrne also in Feb, Grace Jones in Jan.
And I'm sure I will have a great Easter too, thankyou x x
hugohackenbush
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:33:48 AM

While the Line up so far looks fairly predictable. This will be the first time I will get to see Ben Harper in 06 I had to choose between Harper and Bonnie Raiitt well no choice there really. I would love to see Marrianne but I doubt that would happen she isnt even touring Australia then. Hunters and collectors? You gotta be Kidding!?!? Sorta like Weddings Parties and Anything last year I would pay not to see them. As for Willie yeah he is cool but we got some pretty good young Aussie Girl Country Singers like Talia Wittmann and Jasmine Rae who could funk the fest up a bit.

Just take a tablet and call me in the Morning
alickweber
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:35:28 AM

humanracin1 wrote:
wow, you sound like you work for Peter, good job.

Maybe I do ;-)

humanracin1 wrote:

Unfortunately there's not many names I haven't heard of on that list, it is way too commercial!
I already know I don't want to listen to a lot of those bands.

Fair play my friend, I hear where you're coming from... We all have our musical preferences. I'm a little the same with some of the other fests around at the moment - BDO for one.

humanracin1 wrote:

I will spend my money instead on quality shows : Leonard Cohen in Feb, David Byrne also in Feb, Grace Jones in Jan.
And I'm sure I will have a great Easter too, thankyou x x

I have no doubt you will... All the best and I reckon Paul and Leonard will be awesome!
humanracin1
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 9:45:55 AM

Wow you people are great on this forum, someone can actually have an opinion and not get viciously attacked!
Unlike some other (BDO) forums.
I agree that the BDO lineup is one of the worst ever next year also. Maybe I am just not in touch with the masses, which I think is a good thing.

Anyway I hope a lot of people love the Bluesfest lineup and have a great Easter weekend!!!
I will hope for more bands that I love next year :-)
greybeard
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 10:52:50 AM

humanracin1 wrote:
Well the lineup is out and I am very........

I'm pretty sure I know who entered the completely erroneous "rumoured to appear" section in Wikipedia. Shame on you.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
jack136
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 11:06:07 AM

I'm stoked over the new announcement! Ruthie Foster, Seasick Steve and Eric Bibb are gonna be huge and the Butler/Franti double never fails to go off!

Plus alickweber is spot on this is only a fraction of the artists coming you gotta have faith my friend. Even if this was the only announcements i would be happy though, I'm looking forward to checking out all these bands/musicians I've never heard of before, that's whats so good about this festival.

davidmoses
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 11:13:08 AM

Spot on!
littlewillie
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 11:21:54 AM

Easily the best ever first announcement!
samk26
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 11:45:44 AM

I'm with humanracin1 ...... I wasn't real excited to see this line-up. I thought it was going to be 'Bluesfest '09 best line-up ever' but seems to me like deja-vu (all over again) only without the John Fogerty. Sure Ben Harper, Michael Franti, JBT are usual crowd favourties but they're getting a bit same old for me. maybe get JBT back AFTER they record their new album?

warrenselby-jones
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 2:49:00 PM

Well guys and girls,
It's Petes first artist announcement, and we are all jumping the gun and firing off salvos, at an artist list which looks pretty fair to me! This is the tip of the iceberg guys and girls, let's wait to see what other treats Mr. Noble has for us in the near future, could get very good for 09. Well done Mr. Noble on your first release for 09. All the best Wazza
humanracin1
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 4:54:57 PM

Hey Greybeard wazzup?
It wasn't me, I swear!
colinsid
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 6:35:50 PM

As alickweber said earlier this is only the first & less than a quarter of the artists that will be coming so I am not dissapointed at all.

I haven't seen Ben Harper for several years because of the Mojo crowds at Red Devil, so look forward to seeing him next year as Mojo did not feel as crowded at Belongil, same with Spearhead.

If you don't want to see certain artists there are 3-4 others playing at the same time.

I do question why you say there are too many commercial artists & then go onto to add your own in Stevie Nicks, Pete Murray, Hunters & Collectors (have they reformed?) & a few others you mention.

I think it is good to have some of the Bluesfest greats like Tony Joe White, Eric Bibb, Eugene Bridges, Angelique Kidjo, Taj Mahal. Luka Bloom etc as it is a celibration of 20 years of Bluesfests.
Hopefully we will get others as well as per Welcome back to.. topic as well as some new greats that I haven't heard or seen yet as that's what the festivals about for me.
repete
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:59:36 PM

Hey Human, I can understand your disappointment when most of your wishlist don't make it on to the bill. It's my annual experience when none of the cajun and zydeco artists I would love to see at bluesfest don't make it! But that doesn't mean I am disappointed with the artists that bluesfest comes up with. So it goes.

Anyway, there's sure to be sideshows by Dweezil Zappa, Sonny Landreth, Tinariwen, Alpha Blondy, Special Beat not to mention Lucinda, the Bamboos (one of the best raw funk bands around on the planet!) and Ruthie Foster (this year's New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival had a line up to drool over, yet many punters rated Ruthie's show the best of the fest, as did many of her show at Byron). It would be worth catching some of them if you can. And just that lot would probably cost you as much as a 5 day ticket for the fest! And there's gonna be a heap more. Oh well. And as it seems you live in Sydney, can I also suggest going to see Joe Henry - in my humble opinion he's the standout artist for the Sydney fest. Cheers

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:34:39 AM

I felt somewhat the same at first but after another look realised i still have not seen quite a few artists that will make a return in 09.
I dont think it was a big surprise to see so many return artists as some had predicted this in other posts.
Plus some artists are worth another look & some artists unknown to me as yet will be worth going to see as some of the hidden gems of bf are often a highlight for myself.
As others have said the lineup has just begun & you may find future announcements regarding the lineup much less dissapointing.
beanstock
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:53:47 AM

I would like to say well done to the festival promoters/org. for bringing us such beautiful artists from across the world. It makes the high cost seem a little irrelevant.
waz
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:24:47 AM

humanracin1 wrote:

Wow you people are great on this forum, someone can actually have an opinion and not get viciously attacked!
Unlike some other (BDO) forums.
I agree that the BDO lineup is one of the worst ever next year also. Maybe I am just not in touch with the masses, which I think is a good thing.

Anyway I hope a lot of people love the Bluesfest lineup and have a great Easter weekend!!!
I will hope for more bands that I love next year :-)

Slightly off topic I'd have to disagree with your thoughts on the BDO line-up you are correct in stating it is a line-up for the masses, but as a lover of all genres of music I found the line up very appealling with a plethora of top aussie talent to boot. And being younger than some I will get to see what my dad has been on about all these years with Neil Young, however past his prime he maybe! I highlighted the bands I'm keen on below, can easily see $130 of value (which is the same price as a single day at Bluesfest bear in mind)

Cheers,

SERJ TANKIAN, DROPKICK MURPHYS, BLACK KIDS, HOT CHIP, LUPE FIASCO, HOLY GHOST!, Z*TRIP, DIED PRETTY, THE VINES, INFUSION, CHILDREN COLLIDE, PEE WEE FERRIS, SPARKADIA, THE GETAWAY PLAN, LITTLE RED, MAMMAL, MERCY ARMS, AJAX, ANDEE FROST, THE DRONES.

These acts join the already announced: NEIL YOUNG, ARCTIC MONKEYS, THE LIVING END, THE PRODIGY, SNEAKY SOUND SYSTEM, MY MORNING JACKET, PENDULUM, BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE, TV ON THE RADIO, SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO, THE TING TINGS, TIKI TAANE, CUT COPY, COG, YOUTH GROUP, THE GRATES, BIRDS OF TOKYO, TZU and EDDY CURRENT SUPPRESSION RING.
madrag
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:32:42 AM

A quick HUGE thank you for the first announcement. I, maybe for one, feel my money has already been very well spent with the variety and spread of those announced so far. Good spread across old favourites and the up and coming, female artists and across cultures. So far, so very good - bring on the second announcement.