Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

There is a God! Options
acb
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:53:05 PM
Groups: Member

First Artist announcement is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

With more to come? Be still my beating heart!

AndrewB
repete
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:55:13 PM

acb wrote:
First Artist announcement is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

With more to come? Be still my beating heart!

AndrewB

Hehehehe...care to drop a few names?

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:14:06 PM

It is 11 minutes past midnight here so we should have the announcement one hour before Australia.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
anthonym
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:14:38 PM

Here is the first official announcement of artists as of 10:12pm Thursday 13th Nov

Ben Harper & The Relentless 7
John Butler Trio
Missy Higgins
Michael Franti & Spearhead
Lucinda Williams
Zappa plays Zappa
Angelique Kidjo
Tinariwen
Taj Mahal
Eric Bibb
Seasick Steve
Tony Joe White
Ruthie Foster
Blind Boys of Alabama
Watermelon Slim and The Workers
Toni Childs
Luka Bloom
Alabama Three
Alpha Bondy
Easy Star all Stars
Special Beat
Augie March
Blue King Brown
Saltwater Band
Sonny Landreth
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Benny Gallagher
Bob Log III
Eugene Hideaway Bridges
The Bamboos
Watussi
Lowrider
NuYorican Nights

What a beauty!!!
Enjoy!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:27:42 PM

My Top four excitement hits.

Zappa plays Zappa
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Watermelon Slim & The Workers
Special Beat

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
repete
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:36:23 PM

Back from my walk and would like to say a huge congratulations to Peter Noble. This is way better than what was put out as rumours on wikipedia. There is so much here that it's hard to take in at first glance. One thing though, I'm so glad y'all gonna get to see the Louisiana slide master Sonny Landreth. Then there's Tinariwen and Alpha Blondy. And Lucinda! Damn shame I'm not gonna be there...bugger, yet again I'm gonna miss Lucinda!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:39:53 PM

Yes Pete,Tinariwen and Sonny Landreth look intriguing.
Are you off to Jazzfest once more ?

richo
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:49:20 PM

Love the middle chunk. Probably the best representation of "middle-tier" international acts we've seen in a few years. I just hope that the fact that John Fogerty wasn't released until the second announcement last year gives us hope for something a little novel by way of major acts.
repete
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:49:48 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Yes Pete,Tinariwen and Sonny Landreth look intriguing.
Are you off to Jazzfest once more ?

Hi Patrick...yep, going back to nawlins (notwithstanding the pacific peso's plunge!). Next year's bluesfest looks like it's going to be brilliant. The irony for me is that I'll be in Sonny Landreth's home town at Easter - Breaux Bridge - while he's at Byron! I can only hope he'll do an extended tour before bluesfest as I'd love to see him play at one of my hometown's venues before flying out. The only acts I know confirmed for jazzfest next year so far are Wynton Marsalis, Solomon Burke and Cedric Burnside/Lightnin' Malcolm, but as it's the 40th anniversary, who knows who'll turn up to play!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:53:25 PM

Well Pete,I know you can only afford to attend one festival a year,so you may as well make it the World's Top Festival.When do you expect the lineup to be announced ?

finleym
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:01:16 PM

I don't think anyone would be shocked with the news that Ben Harper, Michael Franti and John Butler are back for number 20. The only regulars missing are Jack Johnson and Kasey Chambers!

Despite the regulars some great acts that don't visit enough - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Blind Boys and Alabama 3. Going to be a fantastic year.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
repete
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:04:18 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Well Pete,I know you can only afford to attend one festival a year,so you may as well make it the World's Top Festival.When do you expect the lineup to be announced ?

It's a real bonus next year as the French Quarter Festival will be held on the weekend before jazzfest starts. It's only Nawlins and Louisiana artists - lots of funky brass bands, jazz, cajun, zydeco and blues and it's free!! And the Ponderosa Stomp is over 2 days in between the 2 weekends of jazzfest...and then there's all the clubs and you never know who's gonna be in town. Have to wait until late Jan/early Feb for the full lineup for jazzfest, but it doesn't really matter which name acts turn up, it's the locals who are the heart and soul of the festival.

BTW, even though he's a slide guitarist, Sonny doesn't play straight up and down blues - there IS plenty of blues there, but you can also hear a lot of cajun influences (indeed, he can lay down a boogie and then play a slide over the top just like a cajun fiddle. His fretwork is mind-boggling). He's not a showman at all...he's a musician. Check him out, I highly recommend him and hope you enjoy his music.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Hazard
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 2:27:21 AM
Groups: Guest

Am I the only one who's feeling a bit let down with this lineup? To me it's feeling like the sort of lineup BDO would pull out of the bag... crowd pleasing artists who've played the festival before. Sure, there's a handful of new faces, but there's still a lot of rehashed artists. I've seen over half of this lineup before. Can we no longer rely on Bluesfest to be the most cutting edge festival of it's genre? Or are all of the legends just dead now? I'd hope that our spending of more and more money each year would reflect in the lineup, and not just having my money spent on safe options. Don't get me wrong, I have some great memories of seeing a lot of these bands before... I thinkit's just missing that 'once in a lifetime' skip a heartbeat factor that so many Bluesfests have given me before.

I wait in anticipation for some pleasant surprises with the 2nd announcement.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 4:41:45 AM

Hazard you'd probably complain that Cameron Diaz is blonde.

Already many favourites, both seen and only heard and some unknowns such as Nuyorican Nights

http://worldmusic.nationalgeographic.com/worldmusic/view/page.basic/album/content.album/nuyorican_nights_33149

I think with Lucinda there, and Byron was the launching pad for her solo career Ms Kasey Chambers will be there too.

and still only three artists listed for Sunday( assuming : Watch is space isn't a band!) many more to come. Thank you Mr Noble and team.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Paladin
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 6:00:31 AM

There is some exciting stuff in this first annoucement, especially Lucinda.

I caught Dweezle Zappa on last years "Zappa plays Zappa" tour and was absolutely blown away. I hope they do the interplay between Dweezle on stage and Frank on Video exchanging mind blowing guitar solos across space and time, just magical. An added bonus would be if Stevie Vai was also part of the show!! Before last year i had aways considered him one of those Satriani type wanky solo guitarists, but live he was phenominal to watch.

Zappa plays Zappa is my exciting first announcement.

Here's to waiting for the 2nd round and hopefully a BIG NAME, show stopping, artist announcement
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 6:09:21 AM

Hazard wrote:
Am I the only one who's feeling a bit let down with this lineup? To me it's feeling like the sort of lineup BDO would pull out of the bag... crowd pleasing artists who've played the festival before. Sure, there's a handful of new faces, but there's still a lot of rehashed artists. I've seen over half of this lineup before. Can we no longer rely on Bluesfest to be the most cutting edge festival of it's genre? Or are all of the legends just dead now? I'd hope that our spending of more and more money each year would reflect in the lineup, and not just having my money spent on safe options. Don't get me wrong, I have some great memories of seeing a lot of these bands before... I thinkit's just missing that 'once in a lifetime' skip a heartbeat factor that so many Bluesfests have given me before.

I wait in anticipation for some pleasant surprises with the 2nd announcement.

how old r u man??

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
humanracin1
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:23:04 AM

God is dead!
Dissapointing lineup, too obvious!
Glad I didn't buy that 3 day pass, will pass festival alltogether.
The only thing I am excited about is a Seasick Steve sideshow.
Tomjungwirth
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:33:34 AM

Hazard, I see where you're coming from. Feel pretty much the same way. The headliners so far are the biggest dissapointment. Although i am looking forward to Lucinda, Toni Childs, Alabama 3, Eugene Bridges, Ruthie Foster and some of the returners, Taj Mahal, Blind Boys, Seasick Steve. Hopefully some of the my unknowns will shine for me but I always enjoy the fest anyway.
youngbill
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 7:41:03 AM

Have just a little faith out there folks. Do you think they might be saving a few goodies for a bit later?
johnnymac
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 10:08:57 AM

This post is titled there is a God.................and you are so right........and he is Playing Bluesfest.................SONNY LANDRETH!!!!
I can finally stop putting him on my wish list every year. Thanks Peter!

Add to that LUCINDA WILLIAMS and I am happy paying the admission to see these two alone!!!
Even with this first round of artists announced I am wondering how I am going to see everything I want to.
Real pleased to see Ruthie and Sea Sick Steve back, looking forward to Watermelon Slim, Tinariwen, Taj, Eric and Eugene, (who always has put on a great show), plus a lot of mouthwatering new acts, some that I have not even hear off.

Make sure the weather is a nice balmy night for TJW. He is the essence of Bluesfest and I cant wait to hear that voice and guitar floating over "that little old hippy town."

Congratulations Peter, on a stellar first line up.....you have excelled!!!!