Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Andrew McManus - Raggamuffin Scam Options
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:16:41 AM

Groups: Member

On a Serious note. Andrew McManus is promoting Ragamuffin and advertising Wyclef Jean as a headline act in NZ and in Australia on the official Ragamuffin Website and posters - Mr Jean clearly is not playing the festival this year as per NZ press - Yet no word from McManus or change to posters or website as he continues to sell tickets falsely advertising an act that will not be appearing. This is false advertising in the lowest form considering the circumstances. We should be glad that he has nothing to do with this festival. I hope Im wrong and the NZ press is totally incorrect.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:44:22 AM

From http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/wyclef-jean-postpones-raggamuffin-appearance-3334427

Quote:
Wyclef Jean postpones Raggamuffin appearance (Source: ONE News)

Source: ONE News

Haitian-American musician Wyclef Jean has cancelled his performance at Raggamuffin 2010 in Rotorua on Saturday following last week's devastating earthquake in his homeland.

The singer and rapper, known for his work as a member of The Fugees as well as his solo music, has decided to postpone his appearance until next year to remain in the US to help his charity, Yele Haiti, raise money for aid relief, the festival's promoters said.

Collections would be taken at Raggamuffin to support the disaster relief effort.

The promoters said Wyclef Jean's former Fugees bandmate, Lauryn Hill, would now bring her own band to the festival.

Shaggy would close the event, and Sly and Robbie would perform a separate set in the annual one-day festival of hip-hop and reggae music.

New Zealand band House of Shem had been added to the line-up, which also included Bob Marley's son Julian Marley, Sean Kingston, reggae legends Steel Pulse and New Zealand's Katchafire, Sola Rosa and Iva Lamkum, Pacific Herbs and Sweet and Irie.

Over 10 hours of funk, dub, hip-hop, soul and reggae would take place at Rotorua International Stadium on Saturday in the third Raggamuffin festival.

Oh McCain you've done it again
Possibly a little improbable to change posters if the cancellation was last Thursday or Friday and the show is this Saturday
No excuse for the web site though
You should be delighted to get Lauren Hill as replacement !

Actually checking their web site there is FULL DISCLOSURE.
http://www.raggamuffin.co.nz/2010/

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:03:04 PM

Mr Beard - I just used your link To the NZ leg of Ragamuffin - and could find nothing in regards to cancellation must be buried deep in cyberspace?

Anyway I was talking about this website http://raggamuffin.com.au/2010.html for us folk here in Australia. It takes no time to add a post to advise that Wycleff will not be playing.

The website for the 5 gigs here in Australia does not have any update in regards to cancellations. This weeks drum media printed yesterday has a poster with Wyclef on it.
The venue in NSW had no idea as of this morning 19/01/10 - that Jean was not playing.
Therefore Mr McManus is selling tickets under the false pretences that Mr Jean will be playing.

Lets hope he does the right thing and anyone looking for a refund can donate the funds to a Haiti appeal (the reason Wyclef will not be playing).

The problem is you go to the Australian Website - Wyclef is all over the press at the moment - McManus is getting great publicity for a gig that is slow to sell and now is using Wyclef on the front page of the website with links to buy tickets, McManus knows well he is not playing and is keeping his mouth shut till he sells a few more tix.

Is Fraud too strong a word? I think not - I feel for the mug punter that sees Wyclef on TV and says "gee what a great guy - i'll go to his gig advertised on this website here"....

As for Lauren Hill replacing him as far as Australia there is no word anywhere to suggest this is happening.
Most reports from her live shows in Europe (when she doesn't cancel) is that her performances are erratic and disjointed - which is a shame.
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:33:54 PM

has he definitely pulled out of the aussie dates?

The poster formerly known as Dan
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:21:17 PM

He's not coming.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/music/6696132/wyclef-cancels-gig/

Lauren Hill has some of the worst live reviews I have ever read.

Why does McManus continue to advertise Jean on the official site considering that he has confirmed hes not coming. There is no excuse.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:56:03 PM
Groups: Administration

to be fair - if one is to go to Anew McManus' website - there is a complete explanation as to (understandably - considering he is Haitian) why Wyclef Jean will not be performing as part of Ragamuffin.
Ticket buyers to events featuring multiple artists must ALWAYS be prepared that the complete bill may not be presented for a number of reasons, and in the event, substitutions may occur, as is this instance.
It would seem to me, quite acceptable that Wyclef Jean, who also heads up the Yele foundation, would be wanting to be on the ground, as he is currently in Haiti, assisting in the worst humanitarian disaster since the Boxing Day Tsunami.
Let our thought and prayers be for the people of Haiti in this time - and let's hope we see Wyclef in Australia one day soon
BBoard admin
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 11:38:57 AM

Ubfortunately the festival website - still advertising wyclef as headliner next Thurs night - which is now farcial - why would I go to the promoters personal site to buy tix - McManus needs to pick up his game as that's just not right!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:45:36 PM

I have this afternoon received an email from Ticketmaster inviting me to purchase tickets to Ragamuffin.

W J is not included as one of the artists to appear.

There is also an article in this morning's Fairfax owned local newspaper explaining the circumstances behind his non appearance.

If you buy a plane ticket and book accommodation to go to a concert and it is cancelled,you take the risk that the gig may not go ahead.

Hopefully you will get a ticket refund but you won't for travel and board.

If you are booking a ticket to a festival,the lineup might change.

That is the chance you take when you pay your money.

The Ticketmaster site quite clearly has a green poster which says "Lauryn Hill with Sly and Robbie."

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:31:48 PM

http://www.raggamuffin.com.au/ still has Wyclef Advertised ! After all the releases - No problem whatsoever with the line up change-(which presently has not been addressed by the promotors) My problem lies with the false advertising - McManus knows Wyclef is not playing - does not change the official site -I personally advised the Sydney venue yesterday as the staff had no idea and were still under the impression that Wyclef was appearing - that is where the problem lies - As he clearly does not have a replacement - he should start the gig later (5.30 is an extreremly early start) to say 7.30 move the main support to the headline and give punters a garentee that Wyclefs fee will go straight to the Haiti appeal / I doubt there would be any disproval from punters with this suggestion?
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:33:59 PM
Groups: Administration

Thanks all on this - this is not about bluesfest - everyone has had their say - and we are now going to declare this post closed
BBoard Admin