Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Your personal BEST and NOT-SO-BEST of Bluesfest? Options
ryancolesmusic0000
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 4:37:16 PM

Groups: Member

I have only been to 2016/2017 Bluesfest BUT they were among the greatest experiences in my 24 year exsistence....

MY BEST:
Singing "God Only Knows" with Brian Wilson bringing me to tears.
(My first album was The Beach Boys "Best Of"

MY NOT-SO-BEST:
Embarrassing myself in front of Eric Gales at the signing tent by asking for an autograph for a diehard fan back home and then as I said thank you and turned to walk away he was reaching out to shake my hand and I totally missed it until someone in the line said "Turn around".... Sorry Eric.

I'm interested to hear your BEST AND NOT-SO-BEST of Bluesfest!

"....We are the music while the music lasts." - T.S Elliot
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 5:52:33 PM

Have been going since 2009.. they have all been mostly great.

A not-so-best experience was Toni Childs in 2009.. she was singing in a small tent and my ears were almost exploding as her voice was sooo powerful and loud. Couldn't escape anywhere either as it was bucketing down outside, so I was trapped in there .. I even saw people with their hands over their ears! lol

Another not-so-best experience was the year Bob Dylan decided to grace us with his presence. After waiting for about 4 hours so see him, Sir Bob decided that he did not want to be seen so all the footage on the screens was panned out so that Bob was basically a speck on the stage and his back was turned to the audience. Stayed for about 10 minutes and went to see Grace Jones instead who was amazing. :)

rstroud
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 8:47:52 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
Have been going since 2009.. they have all been mostly great.

A not-so-best experience was Toni Childs in 2009.. she was singing in a small tent and my ears were almost exploding as her voice was sooo powerful and loud. Couldn't escape anywhere either as it was bucketing down outside, so I was trapped in there .. I even saw people with their hands over their ears! lol

Another not-so-best experience was the year Bob Dylan decided to grace us with his presence. After waiting for about 4 hours so see him, Sir Bob decided that he did want to be seen so all the footage on the screens was panned out so that Bob was basically a speck on the stage and his back was turned to the audience. Stayed for about 10 minutes and went to see Grace Jones instead who was amazing. :)

Know how you feel Eileen. Also I remember some Dylan fans I met from Rockhampton said that if you didn't know the lyrics you coulcn't pick the song !
Knowing that I decided to see Warren Haynes + Bnd then George Clinton Parliament/Funkadelic who were both awesome ans something I'll never regret despite missing both Grace and Bob !

Enjoy your music wherever you go...

Rod S
bucetti1
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 5:51:55 AM

As a huge Dylan fan,the idea of him at Bluesfest was unappealing.
This was completely the wrong venue for where he's at.
Yes,his name bolstered the lineup appeal but if you're a longtime fan, you see him in smaller venues.
Grace was the much better option in this instance.

When they go low-we go high.
BC1987
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 9:06:32 AM

i don't care what anyone says, robert randolph & the family band was the best damn show on that 2011 festival lineup... if you were in crossroads for the legendary saturday night show then you know what we got & if you missed it then maybe think about catching them next time they come back. other great memories include the first times i caught tedeschi trucks, joe bonamassa, buddy guy, gary clark jr, joe louis walker, warren haynes & so many other great guitar players over the years. oh & i am expecting to add marcus king to this list once the upcoming festival is done.
bucetti1
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 9:18:09 AM

Dear BC
I agree with you about Robert.
I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
Bonamassa was also a revelation. I've been following him ever since.

When they go low-we go high.
mckellar4
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 9:31:20 AM

I have been going since 2002 when I went to see Keb Mo solo and have only missed one since. The Best would be when Rodriguez first played Bluesfest . I was a huge fan and saw him both times when he toured in the 70's. As I stood there with my son waiting for the show I looked around the packed tent and noticed half were my age and the other half was their sons and daughters who had grown up to love him. As his daughter led him onstage and up to the mic the crowd just erupted and would not stop. I watched a tear run down his cheek and I just lost it completely. The band he played with were a great band but their style did not suit Rodriguez - Still everyone enjoyed it. His next time he played with Midnight Oil band members who did an awesome job.
Seasick Steve's first Bluesfest show was another that stands out. The crowd were going off and Steve was visibly stunned by the crowds reaction. It was such a great show the lines for the signings were the biggest ever seen, But he stood there for over 3 hours greeting everyone like they were long lost friends.
I do not have any Worst Offs - Just lots of great Memories.
waffles
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 6:13:56 PM

I think you will find the band for rodriguez first gig were Byron local musos.

bc1987 I think youre gonna like LARKIN POE.just by what other highlights you have had. and definately marcus king band.
y

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
tonyivits
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 6:26:52 PM

2011 was my first Bluesfest and I totally agree with BC1987 and Bucetti 1 about Robert Randolph-best performance I have seen in the eight tears I have been going.Conversely Dylan was disappointing and I am a Dylan fan.His band was great but he chose not to use the screens when the tent was overflowing and also his songs were unrecognisable but they are his songs so I guess he can play them anyway he likes.
Other memorable performers include Paul Simon,Tedeschi Trucks Band,John Mayall,Mick Fleetwood's Blues Band(Rick Vito's guitar work in "Black Magic Woman" was brilliant),Ruth Foster,Shooglenifty .Trombone Shorty and Chain. In fact most acts have been very good.
regards
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 7:55:42 PM

I have been going since 96 so there are two many fine performances for my addled brain to remember.

RE Dylan 2011, I was at all of the shows on that Tour, and he pulled the same no big screen shit at each show.

It was very bad over at Freo, when there was a big crowd outdoors and they were spread well back.

A couple of times when I walked right up the back, people were saying " which one is Bob" as they were looking from about 100 yards away, and I would reply, "the wanker in the white hat"
katieforfree
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 1:38:03 AM

Great shows include. Ray Davies, Hot Club of Cowtown, Cat Empire, John Spencer Blues Explosion, Iggy Pop, Rodney Crowel, Emmy Lou, that time of the all Australian line up in the Mojo, John Foggety, and Eric Burton. Sinead O Connor was a particular outstanding performance for me as I knew almost nothing of her. St Paul and the Broken Bones and Trombone Shorty keep me dancing and I was glad to see Tom Jones and Paul Simon up close and personal. There have been so many great acts it’s one big blur of music and colour in my mind.

Not so good....... of late I have avoided the big names in the Mojo but from what I have heard I have t missed much. I’m glad others have enjoyed them and left me to smaller crowds at other stages. I miss the smaller festival at Red Devils and the hill over looking the Mojo but realise it had to evolve.

Long live Bluesfest.
Aussiecroc
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 9:08:29 PM

The best of Bluesfest

2005 R.E.M.
2011 Bob Dylan
2011 Buffy Saint-Marie
2013 Paul Simon
2013 Royal Southern Brotherhood
2014 Steve Earle & The Sukes
2014 Aaron Neville
2014 Govt Mule
2015 Jake Shimabukuro
2016 Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin and the Guilty Ones
2016 Steve Earle & The Dukes
2016 Jackson Browne
2018 Jackson Browne
2018 Robert Plant

Favourite Bluesfests

2005, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:58:03 AM

My absolute highlight was on the Saturday night (Crossroads) in 2016 when you had Tedeschi-Trucks Band followed by Joe Bonamassa. Guitar bliss for the better part of four hours.

Biggest disappointment was at Patti Smith's first performance when a bunch of late-twenties pushed their way through and stood right in front of us acting like total idiots. One bloke was nearly 6 foot 10 and totally unapologetic. My friend, who is a huge Patti fan since the seventies, couldn't stand their antics and so had to move right away off to one side and further back...this on the background of her daughter having bought her the ticket especially for that day's performance.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
collives620000
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 8:53:46 PM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:
My absolute highlight was on the Saturday night (Crossroads) in 2016 when you had Tedeschi-Trucks Band followed by Joe Bonamassa. Guitar bliss for the better part of four hours.

Biggest disappointment was at Patti Smith's first performance when a bunch of late-twenties pushed their way through and stood right in front of us acting like total idiots. One bloke was nearly 6 foot 10 and totally unapologetic. My friend, who is a huge Patti fan since the seventies, couldn't stand their antics and so had to move right away off to one side and further back...this on the background of her daughter having bought her the ticket especially for that day's performance.

Tedeschi-Trucks and JB was fantastic.

I really don't get the people like those you describe so perfectly who take up a prime position then proceed to talk all the way through the performance.

One of my absolute highlights was St Paul & The Broken Bones on their first appearance. Their audiences built day by day as word went around the festival about them. Discovering amazing new artists is always a highlight every year for me
barryjmoore
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 11:45:35 PM

One of the best Bluesfest performances I've seen was by Donovan. For the first part of his performance it was just Donovan on stage playing guitar and harmonica and singing his well known folk songs such as Universal Soldier and Catch The Wind. Then for the second part of his performance he was joined on stage by his four backing musicians and they played his famous folk rock songs such as Mellow Yellow, Sunshine Superman, Hurdy Gurdy Man and Season of the Witch. He rarely performs these days and Bluesfest was his only Australian performance. I'd love to see him return and play at Bluesfest again.

And another memorable performance one year was from a band I'd never heard of before: BB and The Blues Shack from Germany. Their first performance was at Apra which was one of the smaller stages. They were great. And obviously word spread quickly because the next day they played at Crossroads to a much bigger crowd.

And here are a couple of only at Bluesfest moments. One year it was Los Lobos followed by ZZ Top. Another year it was War followed by KC and The Sunshine Band. !960's psychedelic rock followed by 1970's disco. Cisco Kid meets Disco Duck!

bmrider53
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 6:24:20 AM

My three top moments were seeing Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Govt Mule and Candye Kane (missed her the first year as seemed like a gimmick, but i only had to hear one note the next time and i was hooked - what an inspirational performer.
Best year for me - 2010 - Jeff Beck, Joe Bonamassa, John Mayall, Buddy Guy, Peter Green, Galactic, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Eugene "Hideaway" Bridges, Jools Holland, Taj Mahal, Dr John, ALO (without JJ), Jon Cleary, Umphre's McGee, and that's not mentioning all the great Australian talent.
Thought the 30th Anniversary would be like this......
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 8:15:25 AM

bmrider53 wrote:
My three top moments were seeing Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Govt Mule and Candye Kane (missed her the first year as seemed like a gimmick, but i only had to hear one note the next time and i was hooked - what an inspirational performer.
Best year for me - 2010 - Jeff Beck, Joe Bonamassa, John Mayall, Buddy Guy, Peter Green, Galactic, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Eugene "Hideaway" Bridges, Jools Holland, Taj Mahal, Dr John, ALO (without JJ), Jon Cleary, Umphre's McGee, and that's not mentioning all the great Australian talent.
Thought the 30th Anniversary would be like this......

Interesting to see Candye Kane mentioned. I didn't see her before her sad passing, but did get to see Laura Chavez (her guitarist extraordinaire) with Nikki Hill. Superb, but grossly under-rated player.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
davidabrown
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 3:00:31 PM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:

Interesting to see Candye Kane mentioned. I didn't see her before her sad passing, but did get to see Laura Chavez (her guitarist extraordinaire) with Nikki Hill. Superb, but grossly under-rated player.

I missed Candye on her previous trips to Australia, I met her at the Green Parrot in Key West when she started playing again (2008) she had lost a lot of weight. Laura had only been playing with her for a short time I think. Her sets at Bluesfest were fantastic and I'm so grateful I was able to catch up with her and see her play. And yes Laura is fantastic.

You can never have too much Steel Guitar!
waffles
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 4:26:58 PM

I have a friend who met her and asked for a photo with her...this was pre weight loss..so she stuck his bald head between her large assets. a classic candy photo. r.i.p.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.