Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Festival Costs Options
davidabrown
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:05:57 AM

Groups: Member

Gladys just said the new festival rules don't apply to safe festivals like Bluesfest, good news. However things like the number of police attending is a Police operational matter so it's not up to Gladys from that point of view so they could get hit with a massive bill from Plod.

You can never have too much Steel Guitar!
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:47:19 AM

davidabrown wrote:
Gladys just said the new festival rules don't apply to safe festivals like Bluesfest, good news. However things like the number of police attending is a Police operational matter so it's not up to Gladys from that point of view so they could get hit with a massive bill from Plod.

Any chance you could provide a link with this statement?

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
zyfert
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:21:48 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
davidabrown wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-12/bluesfest-threatens-to-leave-nsw-over-government-policy/10802330
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:26:17 PM

skot20_58 wrote:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-12/bluesfest-threatens-to-leave-nsw-over-government-policy/10802330

Gladys Berejiklian wrote:
Our changes from March are for the high risk events where we've seen death or serious injury,

That festival has been going for 29 years, it's a fantastic festival, it's low risk so they don't have anything to worry about … I don't want anyone who's holding a festival for a long time to be worried, this is not aimed at you.

Falls has been going on for a long time. Does that mean the NSW government would be OK with a repeat of the crowd crush that saw many patrons injured? Mountain Sounds was in the 10th year. Would they have been excluded?

The problem seems to be that state governments only control some of the permits / regulations surrounding music festivals. Some regulations are left to local councils. With police attendance and liquor licensing being the main state-level 'levers', they are the ones being pulled.
zabadooba
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:24:57 PM

So any chance of an official comment on how this is different from what BF did regarding the parking fee and why it's ok for Peter to complain about it but we cannot?
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:42:42 PM

zabadooba wrote:
So any chance of an official comment on how this is different from what BF did regarding the parking fee and why it's ok for Peter to complain about it but we cannot?

You can't claim an increased police presence as a 'green' initiative.
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:02:20 PM

mpember wrote:
zabadooba wrote:

You can't claim an increased police presence as a 'green' initiative.

You cant claim paid parking as a green initiative if you don’t have a green option to not pay for the parking. “It’s a green initiative pay us the money or park somewhere else” where guys?? “Precisely mwuhahaha!” Peter Noble has zero credibility after this latest outburst. ZERO

Dear Skot,
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:21:50 PM

If Bluesfest ever moves from the Byron area that would spell the end for me. I've always loved the fact that it's 1 1/2 hours "up the road" from my place. Anyway it sounds like we are safe ... for now.

zabadooba
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:28:01 PM

I also expect to be banned again now
zabadooba
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:29:10 PM

But looking forward to Stevie being officially announced and maybe I'll bump into some of you at Easter
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:37:33 PM

zabadooba wrote:
I also expect to be banned again now

Same.

It’s like no one can be held accountable anymore.

Dear Skot,
pathfinder
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:02:42 PM

zabadooba wrote:

Good luck with that......
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:07:48 PM

Someone’s jumping the gun!

https://apple.news/ApcM4hI3TRBqwDV9g8SHrAQ
zabadooba
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:17:22 PM

bonddm20020000 wrote:
https://theindustryobserver.thebrag.com/bluesfests-peter-noble-govts-festivals-policy/

The NSW govt is out of order announcing at such a late stage that they are no longer going to subsidise the cost of policing and will pass on the $400,000 cost to the festival.
Bluesfest is understandably upset about this and protesting.

I mean it'd be like a festival suddenly announcing after they had sold tickets that they are no longer going to subsidise the $400,000 cost of parking and pass on that cost to punters as an additional charge.

Oh wait
Slightly hypocritical especially considering the reaction to complaining punters.

Just confirmed for me this is my last festival.
sincapation
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:25:09 PM

Premier Gladys Berejiklian has said the new laws would be introduced on March 1, but today claimed Bluesfest would be unaffected.

"That festival has been going for 29 years, it's a fantastic festival, it's low risk so they don't have anything to worry about … I don't want anyone who's holding a festival for a long time to be worried, this is not aimed at you."

Stuff the parking. So that means Gladys has assured us full strength beer is back yeah? Please god!
davidabrown
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:00:13 PM

Wow I know this Forum has been a dead man walking since before Christmas, but you guys are really trying to bring on it's demise.

You can never have too much Steel Guitar!
rstroud
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:03:07 PM

sincapation wrote:
Premier Gladys Berejiklian has said the new laws would be introduced on March 1, but today claimed Bluesfest would be unaffected.

"That festival has been going for 29 years, it's a fantastic festival, it's low risk so they don't have anything to worry about … I don't want anyone who's holding a festival for a long time to be worried, this is not aimed at you."

Stuff the parking. So that means Gladys has assured us full strength beer is back yeah? Please god!

If there's no full strength beer, then there's none of the alcopops. All wines are full strength

Rod S
glenboss
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:05:28 PM

davidabrown wrote:
Wow I know this Forum has been a dead man walking since before Christmas, but you guys are really trying to bring on it's demise.

Isn't it horrible reading this stuff !!!!!!! It's just all fuelled by hatred.

I don't think I'll look at this site for a while. It is really starting to turn my stomach.

Have a nice Bluesfset everyone.

Regards Glenboss
djones0002
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:10:55 AM

there is an election in march
barryjmoore
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:36:03 AM

This may now be a moot point if it turns out that Bluesfest will not be subject to the draconian policies announced by the New South Wales Government but realistically where could Bluesfest move to. Not a capital city where the costs would be higher. Perhaps Woodfordia which is the site of the annual Woodford Folk Festival. It's a purpose built stand alone festival site near Woodford which is approximately equidistant between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast. As the Woodford Folk Festival is held between Christmas and New Year (27 December to 1 January) it would most likely be available over Easter.

And there would be a certain irony if this were to happen. The Woodford Folk Festival started out as the Maleny Folk Festival before it outgrew that small Sunshine Coast hinterland town and moved to a much larger site. And of course Bluesfest started out as the Byron Bay (East Coast) Blues Festival before it outgrew that Northern New South Wales coastal town and also moved to a much larger site. And from what I hear the parking is cheaper at Woodford!!