Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Next announcement? Options
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 1:13:22 PM

Groups: Member

glenboss wrote:
I really honestly seriously hope I never get to the stage where I can see a line up like Bluesfest has this year and think to myself "Nah, no wow factor for me this year". There is so much brilliant music lined up that I'm going to be in a state of musical bliss for the coming 5 days. I know without doubt that I'm going to do each day as I've done every day I've attended for the last 10 years. Each day I'm going to walk out of 2-3 tents thinking "Holy **** !! How is it even possible that they can be that good?". I'm going to walk out of 4-5 tents thinking "I really really enjoyed that" and I'm going to walk out of 1-2 tents thinking "Maybe I should have gone to one of the other tents". The Bluesfest people must scratch their heads thinking "what have you got to do to please this lot ?"

Totally and utterly agree Glen. I don't have to have every giant performer on the planet to find plenty of music that will wow me. It certainly has wowed me every other year I have been thus far, and I can already see plenty to do the same this year (with more yet to come).

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
andrewaw1230000
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 10:06:42 PM

Iggy pop
Parliament funkadelic
Raconteurs

Are the definition of wow factor!!!!!!
bonddm20020000
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 9:24:25 AM

I think some people are possibly a bit underwhelmed because they may have been expecting something similar to the 25th anniversary for the 30th. An extra stage was added for that year. The Aussie dollar was a hell of a lot stronger back then, though.

eileenk9
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 11:15:04 AM

2012 was my favourite year

John Fogerty, Crosby Stills and Nash, Earth Wind and Fire, Yes, Candi Staton, Joe Satriani being the standouts for me. Bring them all back please.

valkrie
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 1:11:03 PM

Yes the 25th Anniversary was something very special. A load of great blues artists, far more than now. Times have changed, maybe the blues just doesn't sell tickets. The dollar was much stronger then, you could get more for your money.

Last year, the highlight for me was Bobby Rush, (thank you for bringing him out, btw). On the three occasions he played, the tent was not packed, maybe that's an indication, that Blues just doesn't sell tickets. You have to be well known Blues artist to sell tickets.

Regardless I always have a great time. It's the whole vibe thing at the festival too. I'm looking forward to seeing:

The Marcus King Band
Snarky Puppy (those guys are brilliant musicians)
The War and Treaty
Samantha Fish
Gary Clark Jnr
Deva Mahal (Taj's daughter)
Ruthie Foster
Keb Mo
RocKwiz
George Clinton Parliament Funkadelic
Thando
and many more
reader57
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 5:27:22 PM

valkrie wrote:
. On the three occasions he played, the tent was not packed, maybe that's an indication, that Blues just doesn't sell tickets. You have to be well known Blues artist to sell tickets.

You couldn't get near the tent when Chain and Canned Heat played last year
valkrie
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 6:08:57 PM

They don’t understand where the blues comes from man. Bobby Rush came from the Chitlin Circuit. It’s a damn shame that people don’t understand the roots of the blues ...
glenboss
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 7:42:05 PM

reader57 wrote:
valkrie wrote:
. On the three occasions he played, the tent was not packed, maybe that's an indication, that Blues just doesn't sell tickets. You have to be well known Blues artist to sell tickets.

That was one of the best ever double acts of Bluesfest ever. And to cap it off, the picture of James T on stage like he was part of it all for both of them. That double was so good.
rstroud
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:03:37 PM

reader57 wrote:
[quote=valkrie]. On the three occasions he played, the tent was not packed, maybe that's an indication, that Blues just doesn't sell tickets. You have to be well known Blues artist to sell tickets.

I am trying hard to be clear and respectful of fans of the blues which will live on in whatever form and bless all the people who keep the blues alive...

That's true what you say about Chain and Canned Heat. They were great. The point though is that Bobby Rush is one of the few connections to the blues of the south (US) performing or at least visiting this distant isle. Bobby is connected directly to a long tradition of blues in the south. It was a magical moment for me.

An opportunity to see an original blues artist was foregone by so many but they chose to see only the artists as good as they are that were inspired by the originators. Why not see them all !

My thoughts. Discard them if you wish

Rod S
glenboss
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 11:22:22 PM

rstroud wrote:
reader57 wrote:
[quote=valkrie]. On the three occasions he played, the tent was not packed, maybe that's an indication, that Blues just doesn't sell tickets. You have to be well known Blues artist to sell tickets.

I am trying hard to be clear and respectful of fans of the blues which will live on in whatever form and bless all the people who keep the blues alive...

That's true what you say about Chain and Canned Heat. They were great. The point though is that Bobby Rush is one of the few connections to the blues of the south (US) performing or at least visiting this distant isle. Bobby is connected directly to a long tradition of blues in the south. It was a magical moment for me.

An opportunity to see an original blues artist was foregone by so many but they chose to see only the artists as good as they are that were inspired by the originators. Why not see them all !

My thoughts. Discard them if you wish

Rod S

You make a good point and you’re making me regret my choices last year. He was one I did want to see and I just looked back on last year’s program to see why I didn’t. The 3 times he was on I saw Joe Louis Walker, John Butler, and Eric Gales. Two of those I’ve seen before and last year was probably my one and only chance to see Bobby Rush. In hindsight, probably a poor choice. On the positive side of things, at least I missed him for three bloody good reasons.

Regards Glenboss
glenboss
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 11:46:25 PM

[quote=bonddm20020000]I think some people are possibly a bit underwhelmed because they may have been expecting something similar to the 25th anniversary for the 30th. An extra stage was added for that year. The Aussie dollar was a hell of a lot stronger back then, though.

in 2013 over three nights was Paul Simon, Robert Plant, and Santana. Surely that would satisfy the "Wow factor" for most people.

If a show in 2013 cost US$100,000 then it cost $97,087 Australian dollars (at $1.03) and right now it would be $138,888 (at $0.72). That's a 43% increase. That's almost a third off the buying budget in 6 years. For all of those people who want the really big Wow factor, you might need to wait till the dollar goes back up. I'm of the opinion that this year they've spent their money well and given us an excellent mix.
barryjmoore
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 12:19:04 PM

One of the things I really appreciate about Bluesfest is that it's often the only opportunity I'll get to see some of the legends of blues, rhythm and blues, New Orleans funk and Southern soul. Bobby Rush is a perfect example making his first tour to Australia last year at the age of 84. Over the years Bluesfest and Bluesfest Touring have brought other legends to Australia: Irma Thomas, Allen Toussaint, Gregg Allman, James Cotton, Leon Russell and Walter Trout to name but a few. And sadly some of them have subsequently died ie Allen Toussaint, Gregg Allman, James Cotton and Leon Russell so Bluesfest was my only chance to see them. I haven't looked too closely at this year's line up yet but even if there aren't any legends appearing for the first time I'm sure I'll discover some new hidden gems.
pod2006
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 7:35:43 AM

the fact that BF is 5 days and offers such diversity of acts gives me the opportunity to see music that can be playful or nostalgic or partying or moody and soulful and curious. I always leave space however to channel and respect the blues and music history and hence Mavis Staples, Archie Roach, and Arlo Guthrie will be enjoyed for their living talent, but they share that dimension of being hugely significant to history and this will inevitably lead me to the left hand side of their stage.
andrewaw1230000
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:11:30 PM

The Beasts (formerly of Bourbon) would be a great addition

New album STILL HERE out this Friday

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/09/tex-perkins-on-surviving-beasts-of-bourbon-theres-a-whole-lot-of-regret-and-guilt
eileenk9
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:05:20 PM

andrewaw1230000 wrote:
The Beasts (formerly of Bourbon) would be a great addition

New album STILL HERE out this Friday

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/09/tex-perkins-on-surviving-beasts-of-bourbon-theres-a-whole-lot-of-regret-and-guilt

Would love that too but I don't think we'll get them on the lineup.

Sad to read that two of the band members have passed recently.

MikePorta
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 1:14:50 PM

Mr Van Zant,welcome to the BF stage,now that the "Boss" is away,just strutt....
rstroud
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 8:26:51 PM

barryjmoore wrote:
One of the things I really appreciate about Bluesfest is that it's often the only opportunity I'll get to see some of the legends of blues, rhythm and blues, New Orleans funk and Southern soul. Bobby Rush is a perfect example making his first tour to Australia last year at the age of 84. Over the years Bluesfest and Bluesfest Touring have brought other legends to Australia: Irma Thomas, Allen Toussaint, Gregg Allman, James Cotton, Leon Russell and Walter Trout to name but a few. And sadly some of them have subsequently died ie Allen Toussaint, Gregg Allman, James Cotton and Leon Russell so Bluesfest was my only chance to see them. I haven't looked too closely at this year's line up yet but even if there aren't any legends appearing for the first time I'm sure I'll discover some new hidden gems.

Agree with you 100% as I have seen all the great artists you mention, but so far there's a drought of the type of artists you mention. Astime runs down I can only hope foe a last chance announcement...

Rod S
pathfinder
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:06:23 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
2012 was my favourite year

John Fogerty, Crosby Stills and Nash, Earth Wind and Fire, Yes, Candi Staton, Joe Satriani being the standouts for me. Bring them all back please.

I think that 2012 was also a standout line up,would've been a standout at any festival around the world....