Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Historical Corner Options
greybeard
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 2:56:20 AM

Groups: Member

Came across this and thought it was interesting
My Buckets got a Hole in it - how Blues got into Country & Western

Hank Williams version
Williams likely first heard "My Bucket's Got a Hole in It" from Rufus Payne, nicknamed "Tee Tot," a black street singer who taught a young Hank to play blues guitar.[6] In the essay to the 1990 Polygram box set Hank Williams: The Original Singles Collection, Colin Escott quotes Williams in an interview with Ralph Gleason in 1952: "I was shinin' shoes and sellin' newspapers and following this old Nigrah around to get him to teach me how to play the git-tar. I'd give him 15 cents or whatever I could get ahold of for a lesson." Understandably, producer Fred Rose was wary of the song's commercial potential; as country music historian Escott notes, "Fred Rose's opposition to the song had a lot to do with the fact that it mentioned beer, and probably had something to do with the fact that Acuff-Rose didn't publish it." In addition, Williams originally had a couplet mentioning a Ford automobile ("Me an' my baby, we got a Ford/Now we change the gears from the running board") and Rose demanded that, if Williams did record it, the reference be dropped because if Hank endorsed Ford, "then deejays sponsored by GM, Chrysler, and Studebaker wouldn't spin his record."[7] Williams recorded the song on August 30, 1949 at Herzog Studio in Cincinnati, Ohio (the same session that produced the B-side "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"). He is backed by members of the Pleasant Valley Boys - Zeke Turner (lead guitar), Jerry Byrd (steel guitar), and Louis Innis (rhythm guitar) - as well as Tommy Jackson (fiddle) and Ernie Newton (bass).

The song is significant for featuring the only guitar solo Williams ever recorded:

"Hank came into the studio with the guitar solo already worked out. He played it twice as he demo'd it for the band, then reprised it on the record, and while it didn't break new ground, it was loose and swinging and wonderfully bluesy. The entire record had a compelling swing that showed just how deeply Hank was immersed in black music."[7]

The blues influence is evident in other Williams songs, such as "Move It on Over," "Mind Your Own Business," and "Honky Tonk Blues," but "My Bucket's Got a Hole in It" remains the song that displays the influence most prominently.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
repete
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 10:41:46 AM

Great article and a great thread to start GB!

I've been listening to Chris Thomas King's Hotel Voodoo and have been drawn to one of the more controversial songs of recent times, Les Bleus Was Born in Louisiana. This has sent blues lovers apoplectic!! But watch this TED talk from Chris and think about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_tXHpiDd0

...and here is the full song and oh man it swings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaBlDHuxusA

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:56:52 AM

Thanks Repete
Those clips are fantastic
TED Talks on the Blue great stuff

Anyone come across interesting historical stuff please share
I should have posted the link

HERE IT IS

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.