Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What Artists Did Bluesfest Introduce To You?? Options
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 11:36:38 AM

Groups: Member

I consider myself reasonably adept at discovering new music through my own efforts. HOWEVER........Bluesfest has introduced me to a lot of new artists, that had it not have been for the festival, I possibly may not have heard of. I have been coming now for 3 years (having wanted to come for many years, but needing a shove from a dear friend to finally convince me to go), and already have my ticket for 2019.

Artists that I had not heard of (and now really like) before they were announced.......

Steve Smyth
Elephant Sessions
Hurray For The Riff Raff
Kaleo
Allen Stone
Songhoy Blues
Fantastic Negrito
Nikki Hill
and
Vintage Trouble.

Many thanks Bluesfest.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
glenboss
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 8:37:44 PM

Last year it was THe Record Company and Snarky Puppy - I think I spent both of these shows with my mouth open thinking "how can anyone be this good"
First time I saw Eric Bibb he put me in such a space that I needed to go back to the tent afterwards for a quiet sit down.
When I first saw Ruthie Foster I was so mesmerised by the beautiful voice, the beautiful music, and the beautiful smiles that all I wanted to do was bundle her up to take her home to show her to my wife
Robert Randolph (and the family band) I was certainly looking forward seeing him but **** **** !!!!! He still holds the no1 spot of all the shows I,ve seen at BLuesfest (I got to meet him in the Vip area the second time he came out. Shook hand s and had a quick chat. Nice bloke he was)
These are just five that spring to mind. There are so many more. I didn't know them before they were announced and rolled up thinking I would enjoy listening to them and then ending up totally and utterly stunned with the brilliance of the performer/show. so thank you to all at Bluesfest
The only sad thing about it for me is that some acts like Robert Randolph. The Record Company, Snarky Puppy can,t be replicated on either cd or video. They are live acts you just got to be part of.
So - Who,s it going to be next year ??????
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 10:36:41 AM

glenboss wrote:
Last year it was THe Record Company and Snarky Puppy - I think I spent both of these shows with my mouth open thinking "how can anyone be this good"
First time I saw Eric Bibb he put me in such a space that I needed to go back to the tent afterwards for a quiet sit down.
When I first saw Ruthie Foster I was so mesmerised by the beautiful voice, the beautiful music, and the beautiful smiles that all I wanted to do was bundle her up to take her home to show her to my wife
Robert Randolph (and the family band) I was certainly looking forward seeing him but **** **** !!!!! He still holds the no1 spot of all the shows I,ve seen at BLuesfest (I got to meet him in the Vip area the second time he came out. Shook hand s and had a quick chat. Nice bloke he was)
These are just five that spring to mind. There are so many more. I didn't know them before they were announced and rolled up thinking I would enjoy listening to them and then ending up totally and utterly stunned with the brilliance of the performer/show. so thank you to all at Bluesfest
The only sad thing about it for me is that some acts like Robert Randolph. The Record Company, Snarky Puppy can,t be replicated on either cd or video. They are live acts you just got to be part of.
So - Who,s it going to be next year ??????

Thanks Glen. Must admit to having heard Record Company online well before being announced for Bluesfest, but like you, was SO glad they were announced and they blew everybody away with their performance.

I will reserve my judgement on who it will be this year until a little closer to the date.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
tonyivits
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 1:12:52 PM

I have been to eight Bluesfests( 2011 to 2018) and the artists that I had never heard of or seen that stick in my mind include Ruthie Foster,Nikki Hill, Raul Malo,St Paul and the Broken Bones,Vintage Trouble,Joanne Shaw Taylor,Nathaniel Rateliff ,Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi and the most memorable of all Robert Randolph and his Family Band ( the latter nearly blew my mind).
nelson7007
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:28:27 PM

Only when I started going to Bluesfest in 2014 and reading this forum that I realised how little I really knew about music. The talent around is just extraordinary and every year I look forward to a new discovery.

Unknowns before BF that made their mark include:

Frank Turner - seeing him in Prague next month and Melbourne in December
Beth Hart - Strasbourg next month
Trombone Shorty
Rhiannon Giddens
Davy Knowles
California Honeydrops

Ditto to:
Nikki Hill
Elephant sessions
Vintage Trouble
mgwfall
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:13:36 PM

So, so many

Joe Bonamassa would be the standout
Beth Hart
Imelda May
James Vincent McMorrow
Dawes
Carney
Yodelice
Devon Allman
Alabama 3
Jason Isbell
Mojo Juju
Kill Devil Hills
Hussy Hicks
Seth Lakeman
Marlon Williams

Others I knew of, but saw for the first time at Bluesfest
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
Gregory Porter
Eric Gales
Seasick Steve
Nathaniel Ratelliff & The Night Sweats
Rhiannon Giddens
Ruthie Foster
Robert Plant
Tony Joe White

Special mention to Dave Matthews Band (my "gateway drug" to Bluesfest, the reason I went for the first time)